A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Scouting for Boys
Scouting for Boys  [message #75856] Thu, 01 August 2019 08:17 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I've just put Scouting for Boys up as the next challenge.

It seems that having a ~gasp~ girl in the last challenge put folk off.  I wonder if I need to mention that, without girls, none of us would be here

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Scouting for Boys  [message #75969 is a reply to message #75856] Fri, 04 October 2019 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

The stories are live. I'm intrigued by the very different interpretations. One has very dark undertones, too.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Scouting for Boys  [message #75972 is a reply to message #75969] Fri, 04 October 2019 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cm is currently offline  cm

Toe is in the water

I found Swallows & Swifts intensely moving. I have no idea if it reflects any experience of the author, but it is beautifully told. Thanks, Joe.
Re: Scouting for Boys  [message #75973 is a reply to message #75969] Fri, 04 October 2019 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joecasey is currently offline  joecasey

Toe is in the water

Hi, Timmy -

FYI - you might want to check the stats page for the "Scouting for Boys" challenge; I think my story and "The Wayfarer Boy" might be sharing the same data.  The subheading of the stats for "Wayfarer" has the title of my story underneath it.

Thanks,
Joe
Re: Scouting for Boys  [message #75974 is a reply to message #75973] Fri, 04 October 2019 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"joecasey wrote on Fri, 04 October 2019 23:54"
Hi, Timmy -

FYI - you might want to check the stats page for the "Scouting for Boys" challenge; I think my story and "The Wayfarer Boy" might be sharing the same data.  The subheading of the stats for "Wayfarer" has the title of my story underneath it.

Thanks,
Joe

--
Well spotted. All corrected. It was my finger trouble, and I checked it once then I checked it twice. Still got onto the naughty list by mistake

I actually screwed several things up with this challenge, luckily before release!

[Updated on: Fri, 04 October 2019 23:34]

Re: Scouting for Boys  [message #76162 is a reply to message #75972] Thu, 07 November 2019 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

"cm wrote on Fri, 04 October 2019 14:25"
I found Swallows & Swifts intensely moving. I have no idea if it reflects any experience of the author, but it is beautifully told. Thanks, Joe.

--
I also found this particular tale to be "intensly moving" and "beautifully told." 

Figuritively if not literally, I was one of those boys. Different authority figure, different location, same lies and seduction, same devastation of dozens of boys over a lifetime, and he got away with it.

It would be a different story, perhaps, if the power imbalance, the seductive and subtle coercion, the mind games, the abandonment for a new toy, were not also a consistent part of the picture. But that's not the case, is it? Hardly ever is, if ever at all. Why? Because the power trip is at least as much a part of the alure for the perp as is the sex, maybe more for some. Would God that it could be different. Maybe it is for some, but in the countless victims I've conversed with on this topic it has never been... for any of them...

Anyhow, Joe Casey, thank you. Somehow I missed reading this story among the rest of that particular competition tales, so now, at the risk of appearing maudlin, this story means more to me than maybe you can possibly know... maybe...

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: Scouting for Boys  [message #76166 is a reply to message #76162] Fri, 08 November 2019 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Composer is currently offline  The Composer

Toe is in the water

A former collegue of mine:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-48616076
Re: Scouting for Boys  [message #76167 is a reply to message #76166] Fri, 08 November 2019 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"The Composer wrote on Fri, 08 November 2019 17:44"

--
What is depressing is that they reach old age before they are caught and convicted

Re: Scouting for Boys  [message #76170 is a reply to message #76167] Sat, 09 November 2019 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

"timmy wrote on Fri, 08 November 2019 10:17"

"The Composer wrote on Fri, 08 November 2019 17:44"

--
What is depressing is that they reach old age before they are caught and convicted

--
For a number of years I volunteered on the board of a US based charity organization that did advocacy for those who'd been sexually abused. In that capacity I was fortunate enough to make acquaintance with the healthcare professionals who wrote the various books on the subject and the academics who did the research. One of the statistics that came out during those years was that often times one perpetrator will have abused hundreds of boys and girls, either or both over his/her lifetime. Hundreds! This is not to say that all perpetrators have preyed on that many kids, but some will have. Another research statistic I saw at some point during those years is that of the boys who are sexually victimized 43% of the perpetrators will have been women. 

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: Scouting for Boys  [message #76171 is a reply to message #76170] Sat, 09 November 2019 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joecasey is currently offline  joecasey

Toe is in the water

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/wrestling-referee-warned-r ep-jim-jordan-about-ohio-state-doctor-s-sex-misconduct-new-l awsuit-says/ar-BBWtv3d?li=AA30Mu

And then there's this story in the States.  Sad and shocking that those who could have done something - including, allegedly, a future US Representative - said nothing, did nothing.  This guy stopped only when he killed himself - 177 (!) victims later.

[Updated on: Sat, 09 November 2019 03:10]

Re: Scouting for Boys  [message #76172 is a reply to message #76171] Sat, 09 November 2019 06:04 Go to previous message

Really getting into it

"joecasey wrote on Fri, 08 November 2019 19:09"
And then there's this story in the States.  Sad and shocking that those who could have done something - including, allegedly, a future US Representative - said nothing, did nothing.  This guy stopped only when he killed himself - 177 (!) victims later.

--
Jeezusss H. Christ! And this Representative Jim Jordan character is one of the most outspoken supporter and defenders of our reprobate president drumph in the House of Representatives. Why does that not surprise me? The guy's a skumbag already. This just compounds his ass-hattery.

Previous Topic: E-mails from Kenny by Kit
Next Topic: Is That a Monster in the Closet, Charlie Boone? by Geron Kees
Goto Forum: