A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Does human sexuality exist?
Does human sexuality exist?  [message #76284] Wed, 27 November 2019 09:34 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

The humans appear to be the only creature with any form of defined sexuality. The Bonobo, our closest relative, just has sex.

Where did the concept of sexuality spring from?

[Updated on: Wed, 27 November 2019 09:34]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Does human sexuality exist?  [message #76285 is a reply to message #76284] Wed, 27 November 2019 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arich is currently offline  arich

Really getting into it

LOL you love these loaded questions, Timmy... Dissertations have been written on this subject.

Descriptors are handy but I can not be defined by them individually. Some men seem to like to define them selves by the size of their member. But as I like to say, if you do that, you just make of yourself a little prick, no matter how big, relatively speaking.

On the other hand it can be relevant. Say some where on the vast plains or jungles in a distant time and continent, and you need to go hunting and gathering for a few day, you start defining what you want in a hunting partnership. 'Ah yes I want to go with Poopa he likes to snuggle on cold night and make pleasure under my buffalo blanket.

The relevance of a term is totally dependent. In the end though, our sexuality is not a thing that should define us.

In a perfect world it would be irrelevant. Being, is not an easy thing.

[Updated on: Wed, 27 November 2019 16:03]

Re: Does human sexuality exist?  [message #76287 is a reply to message #76285] Thu, 28 November 2019 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Not loaded at all.

I just thought the other day, and was struck by the fact that those who categorize sexuality have something to gain, be it cash or control.

Religions peddle the control of what we do with our genitals

Psychologists etc get cash because of what we do and think we ought to do or not do with our genitals

Kellogg wanted to circumcise the world to stop boys masturbating

I choose to say, because I have been indoctrinated to believe in sexuality, that I am gay. But who cares? I have always been turned on by a huge number good looking males and a select small number of good looking females. And again, who cares?

I masturbate, often to videos, almost always of males. Sometimes male/female couplings catch my erotic brain. I watch faces more than most any part, facial expressions. I get turned on if they're having fun. I can't seem to raise the enthusiasm for female/female couplings. Does that show a sexuality, or just interest in sex?

I love pictures, videos, of young gentlemen in feminine erotic attire. Does that make me kinky, or to have some sort of sexuality? Or does it just mean I have a good interest in sex?

I find Tom Selleck hot (ok, I have odd taste). I like Brad Pitt in the movie Meet Joe Black and find him then to be extremely erotic. Two pretty much opposites. Add those to the prior paragraph. Is this a sexuality or an interest in sex?

I'm married to a very feminine lady who turns me on. If only I turned her on it would be great

I don't intend to ask a shrink about it. I intend to enjoy fantasizing about these things, and masturbating as much as I can!

Do I have a sexuality? Or do I just have a good interest in sex?

[Updated on: Thu, 28 November 2019 13:55]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Does human sexuality exist?  [message #76299 is a reply to message #76287] Fri, 29 November 2019 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Yup, we are very complex. And we have only a limited number of nouns to use to class people. BTW, I'm not into classification of our kind. We need to stop limiting our selves.

What is sexuality, is it really defined correctly, or is the word and the way we use it more a reflection of those powers that you mention Timmy?

To me it's a no brained, there are 7.5, or there about, billion potential sexualities.

Love is what it's all about. Loving / esteeming yourself... There is a lot of stuff that can go on within those parameters. Sadly, myopic, fearful, or controlling minds seem to want to put everybody into little boxes.

One, well one of many thing peak my curiosity, the one on my mind is how our desires reflect more nurture than natural development (where's the shrug emoji when you need one). Some religious scholars say we actually live in the "best possible world."

Just to put a bit of a spin on this. I would recommend a perusal of a YouTube channel called, "Close to Truth." There are some interesting discussions going on there.

Ah, almost forgot. The topic I would like to site on "Closer to Truth" is "Is God's freedom Limited?"

[Updated on: Fri, 29 November 2019 03:54]

Re: Does human sexuality exist?  [message #76304 is a reply to message #76284] Fri, 29 November 2019 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Talo Segura is currently offline  Talo Segura

Likes it here

Some religious scholars say we actually live in the "best possible world.

Yes, we do. We may not see it, but yes this is heaven and paradise. We chose to be here, entangled in duality forever struggling. But that is philosophical and off topic on a thread about sexuality.
Re: Does human sexuality exist?  [message #76316 is a reply to message #76304] Fri, 29 November 2019 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

"Talo Segura wrote on Fri, 29 November 2019 00:26"
Some religious scholars say we actually live in the "best possible world.

--
I tend to take anything "religious scholars" say with a huge grain of salt because most seem to have poor motives, not to mention being deathly afraid of the word "sex" let alone wanting anything to do with a "sexuality" except in secret, of course. The biggest problems we've got in society today, sexualith included or maybe especially in the areas of sexuality, stem from the edicts of religion and religious scholarship.

[Updated on: Fri, 29 November 2019 19:15]

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: Does human sexuality exist?  [message #76317 is a reply to message #76284] Fri, 29 November 2019 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark

Likes it here

"timmy wrote on Wed, 27 November 2019 02:34"
The humans appear to be the only creature with any form of defined sexuality. The Bonobo, our closest relative, just has sex.

--

Timmy, I'm a bit courious as to how you're defining "sexuality" here.

I'm asking because I've read more than a few arguments over the years surrounding the subject of homosexuality, and one of the arguments I've read is that there are examples in nature of animals engaging in homosexual activities (therefore, LGTB supporters claim, homosexuality is natural and not something to be shunned).  So  other animals just have sex, true, but they have both straight and gay sex.  Humans just seem to be the only ones to label things, and ever try to assign morality to any of it.
Re: Does human sexuality exist?  [message #76319 is a reply to message #76316] Fri, 29 November 2019 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Ah, I was not clear.

I just thought most people realized that our views of human sexuality are based, for the purposes of this discussion, on one of the three Abrahamic belief systems.

I sure wouldn't' say they where helpful for the most part.

Talo:

If I may preface. I don't think we know enough to make any conclusions.

I thought they were making some very valid observations.

Had some other thoughts but I'm a bit distracted with a Scintillating scotoma at the mo. My own little light show.
Re: Does human sexuality exist?  [message #76320 is a reply to message #76317] Fri, 29 November 2019 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Mark wrote on Fri, 29 November 2019 20:50"

"timmy wrote on Wed, 27 November 2019 02:34"

--

Timmy, I'm a bit courious as to how you're defining "sexuality" here.

Humans just seem to be the only ones to label things, and ever try to assign morality to any of it.

--
That's what I'm driving at. 

Re: Does human sexuality exist?  [message #76323 is a reply to message #76284] Sat, 30 November 2019 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
luvtwinks is currently offline  luvtwinks

Likes it here

"timmy wrote on Wed, 27 November 2019 09:34"
The Bonobo, our closest relative, just has sex.

--
I never had a concept of sexuality until I was a young adult and became more aware of it in the news or from conversations. As young as five years old I began "playing doctor" with friends and other neighborhood kids and progressing to more advanced sexual activity as I got older. It didn't matter if they were boys or girls. I didn't have the concept of sexuality in my head. I wasn't gay, bi, or straight. I was just "me"...A horny little kid from a small town who just wanted to have some fun! In my 20's I identified as gay, but I have recently been rethinking the label. I like what I like when I like it. I am just "me", no label required.
Re: Does human sexuality exist?  [message #76324 is a reply to message #76323] Sat, 30 November 2019 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

"luvtwinks wrote on Sat, 30 November 2019 12:26"
In my 20's I identified as gay, but I have recently been rethinking the label. I like what I like when I like it. I am just "me", no label required.

--
I can relate well to that. At this point in my life, I don't like the labels. If I were to use one it would probably be Pansexual, which would probably be about as close to your description as it can get. I find myself attracted to males, females, ladyboys, femboys, masculing guys, frilly girls, masculine girls, transgender males and females, whatever. But mostly I'm attracted to males, so it's just eaiser keep everyone happy and avoid long discussions, arguments even, and say I'm gay. But yeah, I like what I like when I like it 😇

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: Does human sexuality exist?  [message #76326 is a reply to message #76324] Sat, 30 November 2019 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
American_Alex

Toe is in the water

Well, after all, we are a species which has invented definitions. We have defined mathematics, governance, transportation, etc. We're not just a bunch of wild beasts flinging our feces around.

"Able was I ere I saw Elba"
Re: Does human sexuality exist?  [message #76328 is a reply to message #76326] Sun, 01 December 2019 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

"American_Alex wrote on Sat, 30 November 2019 13:30"
Well, after all, we are a species which has invented definitions. We have defined mathematics, governance, transportation, etc. We're not just a bunch of wild beasts flinging our feces around.

--
True enough, but where it comes to defining others by some pre-set standard, said standard, and thus the definition, becomes less of a label and more a means of external control of others. You are this therefore you have to be that, and if not we're going to try and bully you into being what we say you are... Becasue we can.

Re: Does human sexuality exist?  [message #76333 is a reply to message #76324] Mon, 02 December 2019 01:20 Go to previous message
luvtwinks is currently offline  luvtwinks

Likes it here

"Teddy wrote on Sat, 30 November 2019 21:16"

"luvtwinks wrote on Sat, 30 November 2019 12:26"
In my 20's I identified as gay, but I have recently been rethinking the label. I like what I like when I like it. I am just "me", no label required.

--
But mostly I'm attracted to males, so it's just eaiser keep everyone happy and avoid long discussions, arguments even, and say I'm gay. But yeah, I like what I like when I like it 😇

--
Bingo! 😀❤️
Previous Topic: Discussion on behaviour, split from Faith (etc) thread
Next Topic: Should we review Prostate Stimulators?
Goto Forum: