A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > We seem to take some authors for granted
We seem to take some authors for granted  [message #77652] Fri, 19 March 2021 13:52 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I wonder why that is? I enjoy greatly every tale I select for the site, but I cannot start  a thread on them all!

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: We seem to take some authors for granted  [message #77654 is a reply to message #77652] Sat, 20 March 2021 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Talo Segura is currently offline  Talo Segura

Likes it here

You do a great job Tim, and if a few more readers could take time out to start a thread on a book they are enjoying, that would add movement to the forum and recognition (public) for the many authors who contribute their time and work. One of the aspects offered by online publishing is the opportunity to discuss stories and hear back from the author in person.
Re: We seem to take some authors for granted  [message #77655 is a reply to message #77654] Sat, 20 March 2021 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Thanks my friend.

Authors like Nick Hall, Nigel Gordon, even Rick Beck rarely get a mention. Sometimes I think it is becaise of the quality of the writing. Maybe if it were rougher around the edges...

Rck's of course, suffers from eyesight issues, but the quality streams through the sometimes weirdly spelled prose.

New athors, too. I publish them and then wonder why folk don't say anything. The site stats show they are well read, of course.

We know that not every tale is great literature, but every take paints a picture, and I only publish those whose picture means something to me.

[Updated on: Sat, 20 March 2021 09:00]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: We seem to take some authors for granted  [message #77656 is a reply to message #77652] Sat, 20 March 2021 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sean E is currently offline  Sean E

Getting started

I will often forget about the forums - not purposefully, mind you - but still find them a great exchange both in refining points of something written, or via a way of boosting one's morale. So, taking for granted? I agree...
Re: We seem to take some authors for granted  [message #77666 is a reply to message #77652] Wed, 24 March 2021 20:33 Go to previous message
Pedro

Toe is in the water

I suspect, that like me, a lot of readers just lurk, ie do not sign in to read the stories.
For perfectly valid, nay essential, reasons to post a comment requires signing in, which might not take long but is still a faff. Some sites offer a 'stay signed in' tick box, but I don't consider it good practice to tick the box and would urge others to take the same approach. 
Another site allows the posting of comments immediately below the story (although sign-in is required). The format appears to generate significantly more comments. But like most other sites there appears to be a core gruop who post frequently. I am aware that to adopt this model would probalby require a major rework of the site and therefore not feasible.

Another issue is the perceived value of free goods, but I shall leave that topic to the economists to fight over.

Pedro
Previous Topic: Lost Inside My Life
Next Topic: Life in the morning wood zone
Goto Forum: