A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum
Today's Messages (off)  | Unanswered Messages (on)

Forum: General Talk
 Topic: I have a new nomination for Parents of the Year:
I have a new nomination for Parents of the Year:  [message #66404] Wed, 14 December 2011 20:41
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

Sometimes parents make all the difference in the world, and this pair deserves an amazing amount of respect for the way they handled their family. This could have been a crisis, but instead they did the right thing and listened to their children. Bravo!

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/identical-twin-boys-transgender-brother-sister/story?id=15142268

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
 Topic: A church resource...
icon13.gif A church resource...  [message #66391] Sat, 10 December 2011 22:52

Really getting into it

I am sure many people look to the resources of their church for many things in life, but this?

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/10/9353503-officials-calif-parents-outsourced-beating-of-son

Off with their heads, or at least get the kid out of that screwed up home.

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
 Topic: A thought provoking move...
A thought provoking move...  [message #66381] Wed, 07 December 2011 17:01

Really getting into it

What is it about science that scares the religious fanatics so much? Perhaps it is that science attracts athiests who don't see the answers to our Earth bound questions in the divine myth. But in doing so they prove themselves to be a better class of people:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2011/12/atheists-who-go-to-church-doing-it-for-the-children/

Of course most of us who read these pages understand that freedom of choice is the cornerstone of humanity. Religion seems to shout against the choice because their message is forced upon the children of the believers. Try growing up in a Catholic family and expressing a lack of belief.

So the science of allowing choice in some families is real, and education is always the first step to good choices. Hooray for the scientists. There is nothing wrong with being an athiest unless you run a church and are trying to collect a large amount of money for little return.

Topic: Pulling back for a while
Pulling back for a while  [message #66380] Wed, 07 December 2011 14:56
timmy

Has no life at all

Over the past few weeks, perhaps months, I have hardly posted. Over the next few weeks, perhaps months, posts by me will be rare. I'm still here. I see what is posted via the RSS feed. But I have no time or space in my head right now to post much, if at all.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
 Topic: So your friend is gay? Big deal!
icon4.gif So your friend is gay? Big deal!  [message #66370] Mon, 05 December 2011 03:11
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

WASHINGTON -- There are days that I feel completely beat down by the restless onslaught of anti-gay rhetoric and pure crap that spews forth from so-called religious and 'family-values' groups. I realise that in most cases, it's about the money- let's face it folks, demonising LGBTQ people is very profitable.

Here's a classic example: Loudoun County Virginia Supervisor Eugene A. Delgaudio (R-Sterling) makes around $40K per annum as a part-time elected official. Granted, that's not a hug chunk of change but it's not insignificant. But what lets Delgaudio really rake in the dollars, is the $150K plus a year he makes as the self entitled 'Public Advocate of the United States,' a one-man anti-gay propaganda machine he runs out of a run down tiny office in a converted old retail store on the Leesburg Pike in the Bailey's Crossroads of the Falls Church section of Fairfax County, Virginia. His whole operation consists of warnings posted on his webpage and e-mail blasts warning Americans that the homosexuals are gonna take over schools, rape & pillage, and force their 'homosexual agenda' down the throats of every "decent god fearing American." Of course, woven through out these rants are pleas for "your dollars" to help Eugene in his Titanic struggle against the god-less homos.

I could cite other examples- but I won't. Here's the thing, the reason people like Eugene are so successful at separating everyday citizens from their money is simply because there truly isn't anyone countering their message. The LGBTQ Equality Rights Groups? I have seen little or no evidence that what a number of persons refer to as 'Gay Inc.' has any inclination to counter Eugene and his ilk by reaching out directly to the people who count the most in arresting the bigotry, hate speech or misconceptions, the folks I refer to as the 'Mom, Apple Pie, Chevrolet, and Wal-Mart customers.'

Where are the gay positive 15, 30, or even 60 second adverts on national broadcast media? How about adverts in national print publications and newspapers? Where is the much needed campaign to reshape public opinion? All I have seen are damage control efforts and gratuitous portrayals on shows like Glee for example or those seemingly few and far between role models in various fields of endeavor such as sports and entertainment. By the way, I am not disparaging these efforts but rather I contend that they're not enough.

The slain San Francisco City Supervisor Harvey Milk kept pushing the mantra when he was alive; "You've got to come out-you must come out." Supervisor Milk's position was that if LGBTQ persons are seen as simply what they truly are-human beings, then the so-called 'threat' factor to other citizens would be mitigated. While I agree with Milk, I also realise that more can and must be done in this regard.

I ran across this brilliant piece today in the Hindustan Times, published by New Deli, India based writer Sonal Kalra entitled 'So your friend is gay? Big deal!' Ms. Kalra effectively illustrates exactly my point:

Last week, I got two mails from two very different individuals, but with a thread of irony connecting them. One mail was from a young college student, Kabir, from Delhi. ‘I’m gay. I’ve totally accepted this reality of my life, though my family and friends don’t know yet, though I’m sure they suspect. Now, I want to tell my best friend. But, I don’t know how he’ll react. What if he starts avoiding me once I tell him? I don’t want to lose his friendship.”

The other mail, interestingly in a gap of just two days, was from 18-year-old Akshit in Lucknow. “I have a serious problem. I’ve come to know that my best friend is gay. He’s not yet told me, but I feel he soon will. I’m absolutely cool with it, but I don’t know what’s the right way to react when he tells me. I don’t want to lose his friendship.”
Now look at this! The first thought that came to my mind after reading these was how most of our life’s stresses are because we are caught up in mind-webs of our own. We spend more time imagining and worrying about others’ reactions than dealing with things when and if they actually happen.
[...]
I just want to say that I’ve had enough of people categorising something as basic and private as sexual orientation — homo or hetero — as a problem. I would say there’s a ‘problem’ if you or your friend is a pervert, dishonest, cheat, thief, ill-mannered (a crime in my dictionary. Yours?). Different sexual preference? I’m sorry, but no ‘problem’ there, my friend. Still, if it is stressing you out, there have to be calmness tips. Here’s my advice for Akshit and all those to whom a friend, or a family member has confessed to be homosexual

1.No drama, please: I don’t know why we think it’s imperative to react to every bit of news. I’m not saying you act indifferent to what someone tells you, but there’s no need for a dramatic reaction to everything in life. If a friend tells you he or she is gay, do NOT say something like ‘Haww. How come?’ or ‘Are you sure?’ or the worst of the lot — ‘It’s okay. I still love you.’ If you use the word ‘still’ as if they’ve told you about some crime they’ve committed, I will beat you up. I mean it. C’mon, man. Somebody is sharing a very, very private part of their life with you. Don’t let the stupidity of your own beliefs come in the way of reacting sensibly. Just tell them you love them, and leave it at that. I still vividly remember an evening 12 years back when one of my close friends told me she’s homosexual. All I felt at that time was, ‘My god, she must trust me a lot to share this with me.’ And my only response to her was, ‘Thanks for telling me.’ It’s one of the few things I’m still proud of. Be sincere. Be honest. Be simple. No tamasha.

2. Don’t let it bother you: Frankly, I don’t believe in beating the chest and saying, ‘I support the rights of gays and lesbians,’ because that just segregates them from other people, when they are no different. I don’t care if you attend marches or parades holding placards. If you really want to make a difference, do just one thing. Don’t treat them differently. That’s it. Hate a gay friend if he or she is a bad friend. Just like you would have hated a straight friend for the same reason. Love them as much, not more, as you would have loved any other good friend.

I honestly don’t think what anyone does behind closed bedroom doors should make a difference to your friendship with them, unless they are doing something to harm you. The thought of homosexuality creeps you out? Fair enough. Who’s asking you to like it? But how does that give you the right to be unreasonable or mocking towards someone who does? Don’t judge people for feelings they can’t control.

I fail to understand why our society, including our cinema, believes in mostly portraying gays as comic characters. At the same time, I fail to understand why a lot of homosexuals are sensitive about that, because that would only mean taking a joke seriously, when it’s not supposed to be. I have a lot of gay friends, just as I have plenty of straight friends. Some are funny, some are a real pain. It’s got absolutely nothing to do with their orientation. Base your friendship on what sort of a person they are… trustworthy, truthful, sincere. Not what gender turns them on, because that’s none of your business. The day you get that fact firmly in your head, you would be sorted in life. And it’s a good feeling.

I REALLY like this columnist folks, and she wraps up with another brilliant observation:

And puhleez, don’t get into an overdrive of trying to understand the psyche of those who just can’t get their heads around homosexuality. The more you try to convince someone, the more it would seem as if your self-respect is dependant on that someone getting convinced. I’m sorry, but it.is.not. It’s OKAY if they don’t understand how you feel. Some things people are just not meant to get. Big deal.

By the way, go read her entire column here: http://www.hindustantimes.com/News-Feed/LifeStyle/So-your-friend-is-gay-Big-deal/Article1-777500.aspx

Look, the truth is that 'corporate christians' and bozos like Eugene are going to continue to successfully take money from those who are ignorant of not only the LGBTQ community, but the real 'christian' intent of folks like Delgaudio. What we need more of is folks like Sonal Kalra to help spread the reality that needs to be heard everyday... So your friend is gay? Big deal!

Brody Levesque is Washington Bureau Chief for LGBTQNation Magazine.
 Topic: RIP Roger Crouch
RIP Roger Crouch  [message #66358] Fri, 02 December 2011 23:54
timmy

Has no life at all

Father of Dominic, a boy who took his own life because he was called gay.

Roger is one of the people who made a difference.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-16002645

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
 Topic: To get subtitles press the red cc button
icon14.gif To get subtitles press the red cc button  [message #66306] Fri, 11 November 2011 18:54
timmy

Has no life at all

Topic: 3 Little Pigs
3 Little Pigs  [message #66295] Wed, 09 November 2011 22:49
kiwi is currently offline  kiwi

Likes it here

No Message Body
  • Attachment: 3 pigs.jpg
    (Size: 43.53KB, Downloaded 439 times)

Commas matter - 'Party on Dudes' is not the same as 'Party on, Dudes'
 Topic: This teacher has it right!
icon14.gif This teacher has it right!  [message #66283] Fri, 04 November 2011 21:53
attatood.too is currently offline  attatood.too

Likes it here

A teacher in New York was teaching her class about bullying and gave them the following exercise to perform. She had the children take a piece of paper and told them to crumple it up, stamp on it and really mess it up but do not rip it. Then she had them unfold the paper, smooth it out and look at how scarred and dirty is was. She then told them to tell it they’re sorry. Now even though they said they were sorry and tried to fix the paper, she pointed out all the scars they left behind. And that those scars will never go away no matter how hard they tried to fix it. That is what happens when a child bully’s another child, they may say they’re sorry but the scars are there forever. The looks on the faces of the children in the classroom told her the message hit home. Pass it on or better yet, if you're a parent or a teacher, do it with your child/children.
  • Attachment: paper.jpg
    (Size: 14.84KB, Downloaded 384 times)

I prefer guys that don't come in a box.
 Topic: Jesus
Jesus  [message #66273] Tue, 01 November 2011 18:37

Likes it here

No Message Body

Topic: Pray The Gay Away
Pray The Gay Away  [message #66260] Wed, 26 October 2011 07:59
timmy

Has no life at all

This "Pray The Gay Away" video was released by a youtube channel WhiteThroneFilms - http://www.youtube.com/user/WhiteThroneFilms - made by a self styled 'slave of christ' Luke Melrose - https://twitter.com/#!/lukemelrose - It features a couple of alleged ex gay teenagers and a message from pastor Bobby Blakey = https://twitter.com/#!/bobbyblakey - who is "High School Pastor of Compass Bible Church".

The original video was removed at the Youtube user's request, and a blogger featuring it has been persuaded to take it down, but it keeps popping up on Youtube to show the zeal in Blakey's eyes.

The video seems scripted and acted rather than peopled by a couple of real kids who were 'once gay but have now found christ', and it almost looks like a spoof video made in a spirit of irony. But the web links say that it is made with sincerity. I hope the boys in it aren't really kids who believe they have been cured of homosexuality. If so I fear they have been damaged for life.

Topic: Self harming
Self harming  [message #66255] Thu, 20 October 2011 17:27
timmy

Has no life at all

Do any readers here have experience of helping teenagers who self harm? I need advice on what to do and not to do when offering advice. If you are unwilling to post, please email me. My address is published beside every post.

Topic: Editorial- This Is An Example Of Execrable Journalism
icon13.gif Editorial- This Is An Example Of Execrable Journalism  [message #66229] Fri, 14 October 2011 04:04

Really getting into it

By Brody Levesque | WASHINGTON D. C. -- It is not often I find it necessary to publicly criticise another journalist, particularly since I too have my share of gaffes, but an article I read today regarding a recent interview by GQ Australia magazine with actor Taylor Lautner for the cover of the magazine's October/November issue really frosted me.

What is bothersome is that the interviewer, Mickey Rapkin, is also a senior editor at GQ. Asking the young actor the expected stock-in-trade questions about his career and its affects on him both positive along with the pitfalls of fame, Rapkin threw in what I see as an unnecessary and completely gratuitous question that was in my opinion only geared towards titillating the magazine's gay male readership.

During the course of the interview, Rapkin mentioned a recent dinner in Los Angeles where the actor had dinner with openly gay Academy Award winning screenwriter Dustin Lance Black and Oscar nominated director Gus Van Sant. Rapkin asked Lautner if the two men had a pass at him to which the actor responded;

"No, definitely not," Lautner replied. "I think they know I'm straight. But they're great guys. They're a lot of fun. It's not a coincidence that there was a writer, a director and an actor at dinner."

The Advocate magazine has also questioned, and rightly so, whether Rapkin who is openly gay himself, would have posed a similar question if Lautner had dined with two older straight women.

"Would GQ have asked Lautner the same question if he'd dined with two older straight women? Regardless, Lautner would probably have shrugged off the question. He informed the interviewer that he doesn't discuss his personal life."

And that is exactly the point that the young actor made when he told Rapkin that he doesn't discuss his personal life, something- had Rapkin bothered doing a through background research fact check prior to his interview- would have discovered.Young Lautner has repeatedly declined to discuss his private life. But, for Rapkin to try an connect the dots at a dinner with two older men, who happen to be openly gay, and read into it vis a vis his absurd question is just plain wrong and unprofessional.
 Topic: That Coming Out Day
That Coming Out Day  [message #66224] Wed, 12 October 2011 13:10
timmy

Has no life at all

It passed without a mention here. Maybe you were all musing about it. So was our own correspondent: http://tinyurl.com/6a4pxmk

Topic: Finally, a compliment
Finally, a compliment  [message #66222] Tue, 11 October 2011 03:04
attatood.too is currently offline  attatood.too

Likes it here

No Message Body
  • Attachment: paradox.jpg
    (Size: 29.60KB, Downloaded 383 times)

I prefer guys that don't come in a box.
 Topic: 2011 Rafto Prize to Sexual Minorities Uganda (SMUG)
icon14.gif 2011 Rafto Prize to Sexual Minorities Uganda (SMUG)  [message #66205] Thu, 29 September 2011 14:52
kupuna is currently offline  kupuna

Really getting into it

At last some encouraging news for our brothers and sisters in Uganda:

The 2011 Rafto Prize is awarded to Sexual Minorities Uganda (SMUG). Frank Mugisha (32), Executive Director of SMUG, will receive the award on behalf of the organisation. The Prize is awarded to SMUG for its work to make fundamental human rights apply to everyone, and to eliminate discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity.

The Rafto Foundation, based in Bergen, Norway, has since 1987 awarded, annually, the Rafto Prize for Human Rights to advocates of human rights and democracy. The prize commemorates Thorolf Rafto, professor of economic history at the Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration in Bergen. Professor Rafto devoted his life to promoting democracy and respect for human rights, especially in Eastern Europe.

http://www.rafto.no/?page=55&news=233

[Updated on: Thu, 29 September 2011 18:47]

Topic: Long overdue justice...
icon14.gif Long overdue justice...  [message #66179] Sat, 17 September 2011 20:31

Really getting into it

For some of you this may be closer to the heart than for others:

http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2011/09/gay-ww-ii-veteran-finally-sees-discharge-changed-from-undesirable-to-honorable/

I cannot believe it has taken over half a century to come to the conclusion that gay men can serve their country without falling prey to the prejudice and injustice.

One of the stastics presented in the article is dumbfounding. Over 100,000 men were discharged for being gay from the time of WWII until the early 1990's. Perhaps that is the reason the American military has always been crippled with bad leadership, they kicked out the intelligent ones and kept the fools.

[Updated on: Sun, 18 September 2011 21:44]

Topic: It Does Get Better-- The Effects Of 'It Gets Better' Videos
icon14.gif It Does Get Better-- The Effects Of 'It Gets Better' Videos  [message #66161] Sat, 10 September 2011 16:13

Really getting into it

By Brody Levesque | WASHINGTON D.C. -- A year ago Billy (William) Lucas, a 15-year-old from Greensburg, Indiana, was found dead in a barn at his grandmother’s home — he had hanged himself - because his friends said, he was tormented for years because other kids thought he was gay.

Billy took his own life just hours after fellow students told him he didn’t deserve to live. Lucas was not an isolated victim in a spate of LGBTQ of adolescent and young adults in 2010 killing themselves. There were nearly fifteen plus highly publicised news accounts of young persons who committed suicide because they were Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual or Transgendered.

Lucas' death though seemed to strike a chord that raised a national sense of awareness in the media and public that a pandemic was killing at risk LGBTQ youth and young adults. The death toll seemed to mount weekly, prompting Seattle columnist Dan Savage and his husband Terry Miller- alarmed and angered by these deaths- to create a YouTube video to send a message to young LGBTQ youth at risk that they needed to persevere, that there was hope, and that life does get better.

The "It Gets Better" video went viral and produced a reaction that ultimately led to literal thousands of "It Gets Better" videos from persons from every walk of life, queer and straight alike, all conveying the same message of hope. Noteworthy were contributions from political figures, professional athletes, entertainment celebrities, and even the CEO's of major corporations.

Critics charged that Savage's approach was little more than a feel good band-aid and questioned the value of Savage's efforts. There were negative aspects as the so-called christian family values organisations railed against the campaign, referring to the It gets Better videos as attempts by "homosexual activists" to indoctrinate America's youth. The president of the Washington D.C. based Family Research Council, Tony Perkins, went so far as to label the video contributions by President Barack Obama, the First Lady, Vice-President Joe Biden and senior administration officials hosted on the official White House website as "disgusting."

Despite the criticism, the video campaign morphed from Savage's initial YouTube campaign into a non-profit organisation dedicated to stemming the tide of suicide by LGBTQ youth, sponsoring a movement and a continuing effort to spread the messages in the videos.

Jim Burroway, editor of the Tucson, Arizona based LGBTQ blog, Box Turtle Bulletin, had published the question Friday, "Ever Wonder Whether Those “It Gets Better” Videos Have Ever Helped Anyone?"

According to Burroway one young gay teen had answered the question in a video response two weeks ago to an 'It Gets Better' video posted by a Northern California police officer and his husband. The young teen's video seems to illustrate by his example that the campaign's message of hope is indeed being received.
WATCH:

This is the video that the young teen is referring to:

YouTube user thatawkwardone01: "Thanks-It Does Get Better"
 Topic: Yes, there is something wrong with this...
icon5.gif Yes, there is something wrong with this...  [message #66143] Tue, 06 September 2011 15:58

Really getting into it

I'm sure this Rabbi is a devout man and thinks he is doing the right thing, at least for himself:

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2087274,00.html

But what I see is religious confusion based upon ancient scripture that had no idea something like this would come up. If anything the Jewish faith, at least on the strictly orothodox side of the street, is less flexible than the followup guys who formed Christianity.

Perhaps the Rabbi didn't read past the lines they claim defines marriage between a man and a woman. But marrying a gay man to a lesbian is little more than providing each of them with a roommate, and perhaps a tax break over there, I don't know the setup.

But please, don't think this will influence either partner to change sides, especially since in this case both would have to make some changes which I doubt.

Maybe the Rabbi thinks that by joining a gay/lesbian couple they will more acceptable to the neighbors, do any of us really believe that? I would advise the Rabbi to read his book again, after all his people are the ones who believe in a vengeful God. Does he really believe this will make the Big Guy happy? We'll have to wait and see where the lightning bolt strikes.

:-/

Topic: U.K. advert standards are obviously different than in U.S.
icon6.gif U.K. advert standards are obviously different than in U.S.  [message #66137] Mon, 05 September 2011 15:41
E.J. is currently offline  E.J.

Really getting into it

people here seem to have lost their sense of humor.

(\\__/) And if you don't believe The sun will rise
(='.'=) Stand alone and greet The coming night
(")_(") In the last remaining light. (C. Cornell)
 Topic: Conversion
Conversion  [message #66100] Sat, 20 August 2011 22:32
timmy

Has no life at all

http://tinyurl.com/43goh6n

Topic: Adam Carolla tells LGBT people to "shut up,"...
Adam Carolla tells LGBT people to "shut up,"...  [message #66089] Mon, 15 August 2011 21:51
timmy

Has no life at all

Adam Carolla tells LGBT people to "shut up," says they are "ruining his life"

New York, NY, August 15, 2011 - The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD), the nation's lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) media advocacy and anti-defamation organization, today spoke out against anti-LGBT remarks made by Adam Carolla, former host of 'The Man Show,' during his weekly podcast and urged his listeners to educate themselves about the hardships facing LGBT Americans today.

Audio of the segment and a summary of his history of offensive remarks about LGBT people as well as about Hawaiians and Filipinos are available here: http://www.glaad.org/adamcarolla.

Adam Carolla
at 107.7 The End's
Lonely Hearts Valentines
Party, 2008

Two years ago, on the syndicated radio program 'Loveline,' Carolla said that "all things being equal" - gay parents are "not as good as" straight parents.

Last Thursday, during 'The Adam Carolla Show,' the host spoke out against the LGBT community. In his rant, he also told LGBT people to "shut up" because they are "ruining his life" by speaking out about equality. He went on to say that members of the LGBT community should stop using the letters "LGBT" to describe themselves, and should instead use "YUCK." Regarding transgender people, Carolla at one point asked: "When did we start giving a sh-t about these people?"

GLAAD will be reaching out to its allies in the entertainment industry to let them know about Adam Carolla's history of racist and homophobic remarks.

"Given his history of anti-gay and racist comments, networks and advertisers should know what their money is supporting if they choose to hire Adam Carolla," said Herndon Graddick, Senior Director of Programs at GLAAD. "The gross intolerance that he tries to pass off as comedy should not have a place on our airwaves."

GLAAD asked listeners of the show to learn about the hardships that Carolla makes light of and directed them to a column in The Advocate written by Rea Carey, executive director of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, which reviewed the landmark study "Injustice at Every Turn" which was co-produced with the National Center for Transgender Equality.

• Transgender people can be legally fired in 35 US states for being transgender. They are twice as likely to be unemployed.

• Transgender individuals live in poverty at nearly four times the national rate.

• Over 25% reported that they had lost a job due to their transgender identity.

• They are twice as likely to be homeless.

• 41% have attempted suicide, more than 26 times the rate (1.6%) of the general population.

Regarding his comments on the children of gay parents, GLAAD reminded listeners that virtually every credible authority on child health and social services including the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Child Welfare League of America has determined that a parent's sexual orientation has nothing to do with the ability to be a good parent. Children of gay parents are just as healthy and well-adjusted as other children.

For more information please visit http://www.glaad.org/adamcarolla.

Topic: "preferences"
"preferences"  [message #66077] Sat, 13 August 2011 13:46
timmy

Has no life at all

Our own correspondent has been at it again. http://tinyurl.com/3wsapjo

[Updated on: Sat, 13 August 2011 14:25]

Topic: Patrick Schwarzenegger Billboard Above Sunset Boulevard
icon14.gif Patrick Schwarzenegger Billboard Above Sunset Boulevard  [message #66076] Sat, 13 August 2011 01:57

Really getting into it

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA -- The Huffington Post reports that for 17 year-old Patrick Schwarzenegger, the eldest son of Arnold Schwarzenegger and Maria Shriver, has filled his summer break from high school with a summer internship with the management company that runs The Grove- one of LA's trendy malls- and young Patrick has also been visiting and preparing applications for several colleges after he graduates next spring.

(Its rumored that Stanford and USC are among his top choices, and dealing with some family drama along the way.)

But, squeezed in to his hectic schedule he found the time to pose for this rather blatantly erotic advert/photograph for Hudson Jeans that now graces a spot above busy Sunset Blvd.

The New York Post points out that the billboard location, on Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood, might leave Patrick's Dad "red-faced" -- it sits right above the Happy Endings bar and restaurant.

Patrick Schwarzenegger is signed with model agency L.A. Models and is working to "get comfortable in front of the camera," according to the LA Times.

Photos by Lucy Blodgett via The Huffington Post
 Topic: Smile
Smile  [message #66048] Mon, 01 August 2011 21:34

Likes it here

No Message Body

Topic: Paranoia strikes deep...
icon13.gif Paranoia strikes deep...  [message #66040] Sat, 30 July 2011 14:19

Really getting into it

into your life it will creep, but here's a Christian antidote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43881513/ns/technology_and_science-security/t/how-kids-fool-their-parents-social-networks/from/toolbar

I wonder who is watching Sam Black and his Covenant Eyes organization? Is anyone not aware that kids will push the limits of their parent's knowledge? If you buy them the gadget then they will use it to their own ends. Duh, then who becomes responsible?

I do wonder what Mr. Black's company tracks and blocks with his software. You don't suppose he would object to kids reaching out to any websites with the word gay or homosexual involved. Would he? Is that the Christian thing to do?

The paranoia in society is already gone far enough. Kids don't play outside any more since every parent knows that perverts are lurking behind every bush. I am concerned that Mr. Black and his ilk are planting more bushes, does that make me paranoid?

Topic: Teenage survivor gives chilling account of Norway massacre
icon8.gif Teenage survivor gives chilling account of Norway massacre  [message #66038] Thu, 28 July 2011 14:20

Really getting into it

'Poff! One of the other swimmers was shot, I saw the blood stream out'

A teenager survivor of the shooting massacre in Norway has written a chilling account of how she escaped gunman Anders Behring Breivik.

In her Norwegian blog, an excerpt from which was translated by The Guardian newspaper, Emma Martinovic, 18, described swimming in the water around Utoya island as bullets hit people around her and "the laughter of the bastard as he shot, and his shout to us: 'You won't get away!'"

Martinovic, who was wounded, said she found the body of a friend in the water and said she had helped another friend, who began to struggle to stay afloat, swim to safety.

Breivik, 32, killed eight people in a bomb attack in central Oslo last Friday and then shot 68 at the island summer camp for the ruling Labor Party's youth wing.

He told police he was waging a self-styled "crusade" against Islam and multiculturalism.
In her blog, Martinovic said that she and three others at first hid on a rocky slope until a text message came warning that Breivik was heading toward them.

They decided to move to the water's edge and that was when she found the body of her friend.

"I dragged the boy's body back to land and when I pulled back his jacket hood I saw it was a friend of mine, and I saw the wound to his head. There was no time to react. I kissed him on the cheek and returned to my rockface," she wrote on the blog.

'Starting to panic'

They decided to swim, taking off clothes and getting into the freezing water.

"It was cold, I felt the chill in my bones, but focused on keeping my head above water. Behind me some of the others were starting to panic, so I shouted to them: 'Keep your head above water, get away from land. Breathe!'" Martinovic said.

She then turned back and saw the gunman.

"It looked as if he was aiming at us. Poff! One of the other swimmers was shot, I saw the blood stream out, so I started to swim even faster. Then I turned on my back again and saw he was aiming at those who still hadn't started swimming from land yet," Martinovic wrote.

"I saw one of my friends about to leap into the water, but in a second he was shot. Even at a distance I could see and hear the two shots, straight to the head. I saw his head explode, I saw how he was split apart. Panic spread like wildfire among those on land. I wanted to be among them, urging them to get away, by land or water," she added.

She said she "felt the panic seize me" and began to struggle to swim.

"The panic spread to my breathing, I was gasping for air. Suddenly someone behind me shouts. 'Emma, I can't go on.' It was one of my girlfriends," she said.

Martinovic swam back and the girl climbed onto her shoulders, but carried on swimming with her legs.

"Suddenly she said: 'Emma, you're bleeding', and when I looked down at my left arm, there was blood pouring from it. I tried to shut it out, focus on swimming. ... Behind us we could still hear shooting, the screams, the laughter of the bastard as he shot, and his shout to us: "You won't get away!" she wrote.

'My daddy is dead'

Her friend was later able to swim unaided and a young boy swam up to them.
"I looked at him and said: 'For someone so young you're a strong swimmer.' He looked at me and replied: 'My daddy is dead.' I said to him: 'Don't look back, just keep swimming for your dad. You're doing really great.' To this he answered: 'I thought the police were supposed to be kind to us.'" Martinovic wrote.

They swam together, but when she turned back to see what was happening Martinovic said she discovered that "there were far fewer in our wake" and "the bastard was still shooting at us."

They saw a boat and she said she swam over alone, fearing "some sort of trick."

"We had lost faith in everyone. I looked up at the man who lifted me into his boat. 'You're safe now,' he said. He gave me a good hug and asked if there were others. We motored out to my friend and the boy and I said: 'Come on, it's safe,'" she added.

She said she would not give up politics because of the attack and even said she would like to meet Breivik.
"I have so many questions. ... Why? What was he thinking? All these questions which will never be answered," Martinovic wrote.

'Looked the killer straight in the eyes'

Another survivor, Andrine Johansen, 16, was quoted as saying she had "looked the killer straight in the eyes as he pointed his gun straight towards me and shot three times," according to a report in the Mirror newspaper.

Johansen, who spoke from her hospital bed, was hit in the chest; another bullet went through her hooded top and the third passed through her shoe without hitting her foot, the Mirror said. Like others, she survived by playing dead.

More details have begun to emerge about Brevik, 32.

Lina Engelsrud, 31, who knew him when they were children, told the The Times newspaper in Britain, which operates behind a paywall, that Breivik was "troublesome."

She said Breivik appeared to be cold and never had any girlfriends.

Engelsrud noted he had liked killing ants, had urinated in a neighbor's shed and used to spit in the basement, The Times reported.

Honouring the Vicitms of Utoya
 Topic: ‘Gay rights and religious liberties cannot coexist’
‘Gay rights and religious liberties cannot coexist’  [message #65996] Thu, 21 July 2011 12:54

Really getting into it

From LGBTQNation:
Bryan Fischer of the notoriously anti-gay hate group, the American Family Association, on Wednesday declared that gay rights and religious liberties cannot coexist.

“We cannot have the homosexual agenda and liberty; those two things are incompatible with each other,” said Fisher, referencing the lesbian couple from New York who filed suit against a Vermont inn for it’s refusal to host their wedding becuase the owners have a “no gay receptions policy.”

Fischer also accused the women of committing a hate crime against the inn owners by suing them.

Courtesy Right Wing Watch:

Fisher himself also claims to be a hate crime victim because the LGBT media (including LGBTQ Nation) has called him a bigot.

And in cased you missed them, here are a few other Fischer-isms…

On June 9, Fischer told his radio listeners that the Nazi Party in Germany was formed in a Munich gay bar by “homosexual thugs.”

On May 20, Fischer reported that the “number one perpetrators of hate crimes in America: homosexual activists, gay activists, the homosexual lobby.”

A day earlier, Fischer said that “gays are Nazis.”

Last year, Fischer told his radio audience that Hitler surrounded himself with gay soldiers because “he could not get straight soldiers to be savage and brutal and vicious enough to carry out his orders.”
 Topic: The Best News Headline Ever!
The Best News Headline Ever!  [message #65990] Wed, 20 July 2011 19:07

Likes it here

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/5317175/Destiny-move-into-womens-group-smelt-fishy;-D

Topic: Gay Pride
Gay Pride  [message #65986] Tue, 19 July 2011 13:21
timmy

Has no life at all

Now tell us that Gay Pride marches are not important.

http://www.365gay.com/news/troops-march-in-san-diegos-gay-pride-parade/

When you do, tell us why that is, with some precision.

Topic: Tea Party Founder Calls LGBTQ Advocates A "FREAK SHOW"
icon4.gif Tea Party Founder Calls LGBTQ Advocates A "FREAK SHOW"  [message #65985] Mon, 18 July 2011 17:08

Really getting into it

For those of you who follow the politics, the truth about the leanings of the far right and Tea Party is best expressed by one of their "leaders" in this news brief following his op-ed published this morning:

Monday, July 18, 2011
Brody's Notes... Tea Party Official Attacks LGBTQ Equality Rights Advocates- Calls Them A "Freak Show"

By Brody Levesque | WASHINGTON D. C. -- In a sharply worded essay posted this morning on the website for one of the largest Tea Party organisations, Tea Party Nation, its founder Judson Phillips a former Memphis, Tennessee prosecutor and current criminal defence attorney wrote: "The liberal freak show is coming after Michele Bachmann." Phillips accuses progressives & LGBTQ Equality Rights advocates of being intolerant writing, "They do not want a debate. They do not want the other side to even be able to debate. They want to silence all debate and simply impose their will."

The principal aim of Phillips' column was to defend republican GOP presidential challenger Michelle Bachmann, who, along with her husband Marcus, have come under intense scrutiny by the media and LGBTQ critics for their family-owned Christian counseling business against allegations that it performs controversial gay-to-straight “ reparative” therapy. Phillips accuses progressives of resorting to fear, intimidation, violence and mob rule.

In a recent interview with Minneapolis daily newspaper, The Star Tribune, Marcus Bachmann, who runs Bachmann & Associates Inc. out of clinics in Lake Elmo and Burnsville, Minnesota, said his counseling treatment business is not focused on converting gays to heterosexuality.

Mainstream and LGBTQ media sources found evidence to the contrary, in part based on two recent investigations by ABCNews investigative reporter Brian Ross and an undercover activist from “Truth Wins Out” — a non-profit organization that fights anti-LGBT religious extremism — both investigations suggesting that the Bachmann’s clinic regularly practices the discredited clinical method designed to “cure” gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender people.

Phillips deemed the media and other's scrutiny of the Bachmanns' as primarily "liberal mob psychology."

Text of Judson Phillips' Tea Party Nation column:

The liberal freak show is coming after Michele Bachmann. That is not much of a surprise. Bachmann is running a very disciplined campaign, encouraging conservatives and running with a conservative agenda.
But now the left is coming after her.

The left wants to use the gay rights issue against her. Bachmann’s husband, Marcus is a therapist and according to the left, he has committed a horrible crime. He used therapy to help gays who did not want to be gay any more change.

According to a statement released by the campaign, that was not an area of specialization of his counseling practice but would do it if asked.
Marcus and Michele Bachmann, according to Politico, have a history of battling gay rights groups in Minnesota. That is enough for the gay rights groups to go after her.

Gay rights groups going after Bachmann say that she is not “a reasonable mainstream candidate.”

There is more going on here than just a disagreement about gay rights. The gay rights groups are typical of all liberal groups. They do not want a debate. They do not want the other side to even be able to debate. They want to silence all debate and simply impose their will.

Most Americans do not believe gay marriage is a good thing. Most Americans do not believe homosexuality (which is only 1-3% of the population) is a good thing, though most Americans are tolerant of most things.
The left is not tolerant. The left never allows dissent. To the horror of Americans, Marcus Bachmann once referred to gays as “barbarians.”

Barbarians?

If you are a conservative you have been called much worse and usually in much more obscene terms, for being a conservative.

Gay groups have disrupted church services and other events of those who dare to disagree with them. Just a few days ago, a Federal Court issued a permanent restraining order against the radical gay group “Bash back” for disrupting the services of a church that dared to say homosexuality is wrong. This one church in Michigan is not the only event gay activists have disrupted. They have disrupted Mass in Catholic Churches, disrupted pro-traditional marriage rallies and other events held by those who disagree with them.

Gay rights activists are willing to harass not only those who participate in events they disagree with, but even go as far as to harass children. At a 2010 event, gay rights activists walked up to a seven-year-old child who was at the event with the child’s family and sneered at the child, “Is mommy raising you to be a good little bigot?”

In California, in 2008, voters passed Proposition 8, which declared marriage to be between a man and a woman. After the voting, gay rights activists persecuted people who supported Prop 8. In 2010, gay activists sought to kick a 96-year-old man off of a Theater Board in Oakland. He had served on it for it for twenty years but because he contributed to the supporters of Prop 8, they wanted him off the board.

Those who supported Prop 8 were physically assaulted, hounded, and threatened. When the manager of one Mexican Restaurant in Los Angeles gave $100 to the Prop 8 campaign, gay rights protestors surrounded the restaurant, pelting employees and patrons with vulgarities. Anyone want to bet nothing as tame as “barbarians” was used?

Going after Bachmann is simply another example of the liberal mob psychology. Whether Bachmann is our choice for the GOP nomination or not, we conservatives need to stand up for her. Whether you agree with her and her husband on this issue or not, we need to stand up for her. This is not about Michele Bachmann or her husband. This issue is really not even about gay rights. The issue here is the freedom to speak, the freedom to think and the freedom to disagree with the liberal orthodoxy.

Liberalism cannot stand a real debate. Liberals always lose those debates. That is why they always resort to fear, intimidation, violence and mob rule to achieve their goals. We cannot let mob rule win.

For this, we must stand with the Bachmanns.

[Updated on: Mon, 18 July 2011 20:46]

Topic: Routine Infant Circumcision
Routine Infant Circumcision  [message #65983] Mon, 18 July 2011 09:39
timmy

Has no life at all

A quiet discussion by a qualified surgeon

Topic: To Our Kids- We Love You The Way You Are
icon4.gif To Our Kids- We Love You The Way You Are  [message #65973] Sat, 16 July 2011 00:27

Really getting into it

By Brody Levesque | SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA -- In the tragic aftermath of the widely publicised multiple suicide deaths by LGBTQ young persons in late 2010, many of those deaths the result of anti-gay bullying, Seattle based columnist and queer activist Dan Savage along with his husband founded the "It Gets Better Project." The principle thrust & focus was producing videos for a special YouTube channel that sent messages of hope and reassurance to struggling LGBTQ youth that life does indeed get better and most of all, was worth living.

Celebrities, politicians, including the President of the United States Barack Obama and British Prime Minister David Cameron, added their voices to the legions of everyday people who made It Gets Better videos, turning Savage's simple heartfelt idea into a global campaign to spread that message of hope.

While the ocean of the thousands of videos expressed the promise of better times and circumstances, as Savage himself pointed out during an interview with MSNBC, one of the largest issues that needed addressing was the lack of acceptance and even violence that queer youth and young adults faced in their own families. Many times being left homeless after parents threw them out because of their being queer.

Not every scenario and circumstance however Savage acknowledged had a set or a single parent that was not accepting of their children. The larger question of what about those parents has now been answered as a San Diego couple gives those parents that are accepting a voice in the national conversation about LGBTQ persons.

This past May, San Diego based Public Relations and Communications executive Patrick Wallace, with partner, University of California San Diego Assistant Professor of Mathematics, Michael Volpat, launched the website, A Note to My Kid, as a place for parents to proudly share memories, thoughts, worries, and — ultimately — love for their LGBT children.

“The love and support of our parents has been a treasured blessing in our lives,” says Wallace. “But many people we’ve been fortunate enough to meet throughout our lives have not been so lucky. We’ve heard stories firsthand of LGBT youth being ridiculed, disowned. and physically beaten for being gay.”

Wallace wants A Note to My Kid to help parents learn “how to express his or her love.”

As word spreads- the letters fly in and many of them are poignant, funny, and most of all filled with that special and unconditional love for one's child which is the true backbone of humanity.
Read more on the 'A Note to My Kid' website; [Link] http://www.anotetomykid.com/a-note-to-my-kid/
 Topic: I don't care for him, however? Watch for yourselves & decide
icon4.gif I don't care for him, however? Watch for yourselves & decide  [message #65972] Fri, 15 July 2011 15:43

Really getting into it

I need to say though that he raises some good points that I agree with 100%:

[Updated on: Fri, 15 July 2011 15:44]

Topic: On the surface this looks good...
icon5.gif On the surface this looks good...  [message #65967] Thu, 14 July 2011 22:11

Really getting into it

but I suppose it could become a disaster.

http://news.yahoo.com/calif-gov-signs-landmark-law-teach-gay-history-190037960.html

You may or may not remember last years contentious adoption of new standards in the Texas school systems. The Board charged with approving textbooks had come up with the brilliant idea of re-writing American history. The effect would spread far beyond the borders of that state because Texas is one of the major textbook producers in the nation.

So now California will have classroom discussions that include LBGT issues and we can only hope the material will be factual. Depends: who will write the textbooks? If they come from Texas I would doubt their objectivity.

Yes, it is good to discuss gay history along with that of everyone else. Those who are prejudiced will still object, those who bully LBGT kids will still practice their own brand of hate. But for those kids in need, those who must see that they are not alone, I think this is a good step forward if it is closely monitored. I will reserve judgment and keep my eyes open.

Topic: Violence Against LGBTQ Community Increased Signficantly
icon4.gif Violence Against LGBTQ Community Increased Signficantly  [message #65954] Wed, 13 July 2011 01:10

Really getting into it

By Brody Levesque | NEW YORK, NEW YORK -- The National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs (NCAVP), released its annual report; Hate Violence Against Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and HIV-Affected Communities in the United States for the period covering the years 2009 through 2010.

The NCAVP study shows the second highest murder rate ever recorded against LGBTQ persons with Transgender persons and LGBTQ persons of colour most effected as targeted communities for severe hate violence. According to the report, 27 murders of LGBTQ and HIV-affected people were documented; the second highest yearly total ever recorded; overall reports of violent crime increased 13% for LGBTQ and HIV-affected people.

NCAVP collected data concerning hate violence against lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer (LGBTQ) and HIV-affected people, from 17 anti-violence programs in 15 states across the country including: Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Illinois, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New York, Ohio, Texas, Vermont and Wisconsin.

NCAVP spokesperson Roberta Sklar told reporters during the audio press briefing today while discussing the study's findings, for the year 2010, NCAVP documented 27 anti-LGBTQ murders, the second highest yearly total ever recorded by the coalition. [This is a 23% increase from the 22 people murdered in 2009.]

"70% of the 27 reported hate murder victims in 2010 were LGBTQ and HIV-affected people of color, which represented 44% of total survivors and victims. This reflects a disproportionate targeting of people of color for severe and deadly violence. As well, people of color were less likely to receive medical attention when they needed it and less likely to receive appropriate responses from the police.

Transgender women made up 44% of the 27 reported hate murders in 2010, while representing only 11% of total survivors and victims. As well, transgender people were more likely to have injuries as a result of attacks and less likely to receive medical care."

“This increase in murders signals a pattern of severe, ongoing violence against LGBTQ and HIV-affected communities,” said Jake Finney from L.A. Gay and Lesbian Center in Los Angeles, California.

“Transgender individuals and people of color face multiple forms of discrimination on the basis of race, gender identity and other factors, which can make them more vulnerable to severe violence,” said Maria Carolina Morales from Community United Against Violence in San Francisco, California. “Additionally, the general public, law enforcement, and the media may be less inclined to address, prevent and respond to violence against these communities, making this violence seem invisible and ignored.”

NCAVP documented a 13% increase in hate violence incidents from 2009 to 2010, as well as a much greater increase in the severity of violence.

“The findings of this report are troubling and reveal a need for the serious commitment of organizations, institutions, funders and policymakers towards research and the prevention of violence against LGBTQ and HIV-affected individuals,” said Sandhya Luther from the Colorado Anti-Violence Program in Denver, Colorado. “Our recommendations represent crucial steps for ending violence against LGBTQ and HIV-affected people in this country.”

The report’s specific recommendations include calling for the following changes:

Fund critically needed research and data collection on hate violence against LGBTQ and HIV-affected communities, their access to services, and violence prevention initiatives.

Gather data about sexual orientation and gender identitiy in all federal, state and local government forms.

Create new public and private funding streams and target the use of existing funds to increase access to anti-violence services for LGBTQ and HIV-affected individuals, particularly for those disproportionately affected by hate violence—i.e. transgender people and people of color.

Create programs and campaigns to reduce anti-LGBTQ hate violence. Prioritize the leadership of those most impacted by severe hate violence within these programs.

Stop the culture of hate through policymakers and public figures denouncing anti-LGBTQ violence.

This year’s report also includes real-life stories from LGBTQ survivors of hate violence to call immediate and necessary attention to the need to end the culture violence in which these incidents of hate violence occur.
 Topic: This Kid Is Fabulous! ( And his Mom's not bad either)
icon6.gif This Kid Is Fabulous! ( And his Mom's not bad either)  [message #65938] Fri, 08 July 2011 14:25

Really getting into it

By Brody Levesque | WASHINGTON DC -- Seven year old Brock Ritter is very proud of the way he flaunts himself and is unafraid to let anyone know that. In fact he is a self described "diva."

Wednesday night he had an opportunity to parade his talents on the American cable television network TLC's show- 'Toddlers & Tiaras,' proving that he is as flashy, talented, and as outrageous as the little girls.

Brock's mother Tori said during an interview that her son has already garnered half a dozen wins plus trophies for his dancing and gymnastic abilities. She also said that her seven year old travels to competitions with his two favorite dolls and dreams of one day being a star on Broadway. Ritter said that while in kindergarten, Brock took some flak from other boys who said "dancing was for girls."

From TLC:

[Updated on: Fri, 08 July 2011 15:37]

Topic: Gay marriage...state by state
icon5.gif Gay marriage...state by state  [message #65905] Sat, 25 June 2011 14:30

Really getting into it

Perhaps you have read about gay marriage being approved in the State of New York, but here's Brody's report:

http://brodylevesque.blogspot.com/2011/06/brodys-notes-new-york-senate-approves.html

So now New York joins the short list of states who approve of equal rights for their citizens despite the objections of the religious right who really should have no say in the matter.

Marriage should not be an issue of religion despite the fact that they have tried to control it over the centuries. Inter-racial marriage was condemned by churches and preached against from the pulpit. Catholics were told not to marry Jews, but perhaps it was the Jews who really objected, and for good reason.

The purpose of marriage in churches is to allow the religion to dominate the bond. Catholics don't allow birth control so that the faithful are sure to have lots of kids who will be forced into the religion and thus pay up every Sunday when the plate is passed around.(is every sperm sacred? ask Monty Python)

Am I being cynical? Damn right. The dogma of religion is centered around money. If there was half a brain in the Vatican they would recognize that the LBGT community is one of the weathiest and welcome them with open arms. But let's face it, we won't be fooled.

The matter of denying LBGT citizens the right of union in a marriage registered with the States in order to grant the same privledges as those of hetero status should not be a contest. The US Congress can pass all the laws it wants against gay marriage, and even get the Supreme Court to uphold the farce, but it is a violation of our Constitution to do so.

There are the literalists who wave the Bible and the Constitution whenever they object to the rights of others. They are quick to point out that the Bible condems homosexuals (although I am still searching for that reason in a text illuminated by pedophile monks). But I have yet to see anything in our Constitution that mentions the homo word.

As many of you recognize, religion has infected this society. At no time should government allow religious thought to influence its thinking. I did find that in the Constitution. The comments about abridging religious freedom is well known, so let's talk about Article Six which is obscure:
"No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any public office or trust under the United States."

And yet some states disavow this law and require candidates for office to believe in God. I ask you, what is mariage but a public trust? Local jursidictions issue a mandatory marriage license for the purpose of collecting a tax. That is in the public trust.

From my perspective if religion is allowed freedom then we must be allowed freedom from religion as well. If it is not required of those who we elect to office then why should religion be allowed to oppress any citizens?

I see the new changes in New York as a step forward in taking back what should already be ours. The blatant theft of personal freedom by religious factions in the country and the open attacks on LBGT citizens must stop.

Perhaps in the next revolution we will get it right and start by throwing religion overboard into the harbor and taking away their freedoms. Where do I sign up?

Topic: Rise Against Debuts Video For "Make It Stop"
icon6.gif Rise Against Debuts Video For "Make It Stop"  [message #65885] Wed, 22 June 2011 15:08

Really getting into it

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA -- Rise Against and the It Gets Better Project TM are proud to announce a collaboration in conjunction with the release of Rise Against’s new single, "Make It Stop (September's Children)" from their album Endgame, which debuted at number 2 on the Billboard Top 200 Albums Chart.
The It Gets Better Project and Rise Against shift the spotlight to bullying via “Make it Stop (September’s Children),” a topic Rise Against lead-singer Tim McIlrath says really hasn’t been adequately addressed in the rock scene.
"A number of events were the catalyst for the creation of Make It Stop, everything from the suicides in September 2010, to our own fans voicing their fears and insecurities from time to time,” says McIlrath. “I decided to create the song as a response, and when I discovered the It Gets Better campaign and [It Gets Better Project co-founder] Dan Savage's commitment to such an important and concise message, I was moved. I immediately felt that if our song is the road, then the It Gets Better campaign is the destination. I hope the synergy between the two can reach people and make a difference."
"Tim McIlrath has written a powerful song," It Gets Better Project co-founder Dan Savage said. "With the release of 'Make It Stop' and the accompanying video, Rise Against is sending the message to its fan base that the bullying and harassment of LGBT teens needs to stop and that suicide isn't a solution."
Award-winning director Marc Klasfeld directed the "Make It Stop" music video in Chicago at Tim McIlrath’s high school alma mater. “I've been a fan of Rise Against for a while and it was amazing to work with them on this special video,” Klasfeld said. “As soon as I heard the song, I knew a powerful video could be made that could potentially help people and I jumped at the chance to be a part of it.”
The video depicts the band performing the song in the high school gymnasium alongside moving scenes of individuals from the LGBT community experiencing and coping with bullying from their peers in high school. The music video also includes snippets of multiple youtube submissions provided by the It Gets Better Project, with individuals sharing their stories and letting viewers know that “it gets better.” You can watch the video here:

Rise Against is well known for lending their voice to causes as well as their close relationship to their fans. Past songs with a bent toward social activism have included "Ready to Fall" in support of PETA and "Hero of War", written in response to the military action in Iraq.
The It Gets Better Project is a non-profit organization created by syndicated columnist and author Dan Savage, who is featured in the video, and his partner Terry Miller in September 2010. Eight months later, IGB has turned into a worldwide movement, inspiring over 10,000 user-created videos viewed over 35 million times.
To date, the project has received submissions from celebrities, organizations, activists, politicians and media personalities, including President Barack Obama, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Lady Gaga, Adam Lambert, Anne Hathaway, Joel Madden, Ke$ha, Sarah Silverman, Ellen DeGeneres, the staffs of The Gap, Google, Facebook, Pixar, the Broadway community, and many more.
The website http://www.itgetsbetter.org is a place where LGBT youth can see how love and happiness can be a reality in their future, straight allies can support their friends and family members, and where anyone can share their story, take the It Gets Better Project pledge, watch videos of love and support, and seek help through the Trevor Project, GLSEN and the ACLU LGBT Project.
 Topic: Gay Google
Gay Google  [message #65884] Tue, 21 June 2011 21:47

Likes it here

Googles signal of solidarity with gays got a little more noticeable this Pride Month.

Run a search for 'gay' or related items and a swooping rainbow will appear next to the search box at the top of the results pages. During previous Pride Months Google had included a thin rainbow above results.

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2011/06/20/Google_Gay_for_Sign_of_Solidarity/

Pages (28): [ «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    »]