A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Without paedophiles no youth movements would flourish. - Discuss
Without paedophiles no youth movements would flourish. - Discuss  [message #72198] Fri, 25 November 2016 15:34 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

We have, in the UK at present, another scandal. Young footballers were used by their coaches for the coaches' sexual fulfilment. This is unpleasant, hateful, and plain inappropriate. It is the Casting Couch of some areas of football. I doubt any sport is immune. It was suggested to me by a chap I worked with, and whose opinions I never respected, that Formula 1 Motor Racing's aspirimg drivers also made their way to teams in a similar manner. That thought I doubt. The boys are older, substantially older. However, he may have had the germ of an idea.

This post, this thread, is not here so we can universally condemn the abuse of children. If we can get the condemnation out of the way, I condemn it, and condemn it on your behalves too. It is a disgraceful practice akin to blackmail when the child is after advancement in an area of interest to them, and is inexcusable in any event for a member of a civilised society to abuse a child.

What I wanted to discuss instead is where youth organisations would be without those who genuinely love children, and who can keep their hands off them. The keeping of their hands off them is important. I see very little wrong with window-shopping. Touching is a totally different matter.

Today we are prurient. We insist on knowing what others do with their genitalia. News media fantasise about what might or might not have taken place, what might or might not take place.

So where would the different youth movements, those for boys, those for girls, be without those who love children, potentially those who have fantasy liaisons with some individuals, but who never touch?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Without paedophiles no youth movements would flourish. - Discuss  [message #72202 is a reply to message #72198] Sat, 26 November 2016 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ashdaw is currently offline  Ashdaw

Toe is in the water

I guess I shouldn't comment but, I doubt that this could have any validity.
The impulse would be so hard to control regarding the attractions to young people,
I can only comment regarding my own experience and, I just don't see that this
idea about no youth movements without the interest of paedophiles can be justified.
Re: Without paedophiles no youth movements would flourish. - Discuss  [message #72204 is a reply to message #72202] Sat, 26 November 2016 17:20 Go to previous message
Mark

Likes it here

I wouldn't say so, myself.  Pedophilia is the sexual attraction towards youth (specifically, it started out meaning the sexual attraction towards children who had not yet stared puberty, though it has evolved in society's viewpoint to mean sexual attraction towards anyone under the legal age of consent, even if they've started or even, for all intensive purposes, finished puberty).  There are different kinds of love (romantic, brotherly, etc.), and I think that you can love someone (or a specific group, like children) and want to help them without having any sort of sexual attraction towards them.  I think that many adults who work with children in youth movements would actually be horrified or shocked by the suggestion that they're only doing what they're doing because they are sexually attracted towards youth (this isn't to say that there aren't people with sexual attractions towards youth who can work with youth while keeping their hands to themselves, just that most adults who are involved in youth movement are heterosexuals who really only have sexual attractions towards other adults).

[Updated on: Sat, 26 November 2016 17:21]

Previous Topic: Dammit, I still know today is a 'special' date
Next Topic: Off the face of the earth
Goto Forum: