A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > We Could Be Heroes
Re: We Could Be Heroes  [message #76401 is a reply to message #76387] Wed, 11 December 2019 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bensiamin is currently offline  Bensiamin

Likes it here

Al N: needless to say, I'm pleased you liked the way the book has ended. You are also correct in your assessment thatJackson is growing up, it being forced upon him as often happens to most of us.

There's nothing like a near-death experience to deliver a real wake up call! It would seem that the somewhat idylic first year is abruptly over, and some rough patches lay ahead!

Thanks to all of your for reading and commenting! Volume 3 is in the works, and as to where it goes, recall the overall title, "Revelation and Redemption."

Bensiamin
Re: We Could Be Heroes  [message #76404 is a reply to message #76401] Fri, 13 December 2019 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

Good job, Bensiamin. So many things to say, but for the purposes of this discussion I'd just like to say that I so much appreciate the familiar country in which this story and the preceding one, A Friend of the Devil, take place. It adds a whole new layer of interest and enjoybility to the tale. Bravo for another well composed chapter i the lives of Jackson, David, and those whom they love.

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: We Could Be Heroes  [message #76412 is a reply to message #76404] Sun, 15 December 2019 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
American_Alex

Toe is in the water

Well, I'm looking forward to the next book in this trilogy. FWIW, I was doubtful about the diary entry elements, since they seemed a bit naive, brief and flippant, but after a while I remembered that at that age, I was the same. Your story shows the importance of good editing, narrowing down the story to a minimum of threads and keeping the story moving and interesting. I don't really care much for the over-wrought theological issues David is going through, but at least they are a solid element to the story. About the only issue I have with the story so far is this; I don't think there is a scool anywhere (especially back then) which wouldn't excuse you for an entire week for the occasion of your mother's death.

"Able was I ere I saw Elba"
Re: We Could Be Heroes  [message #76440 is a reply to message #76412] Mon, 23 December 2019 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

American Alex: thanks for the comments, and my apologies on the delay in responding--I've been heads down for the last couple of days on Volume 3!. I can tell you that writing the stories took me back too....to the recognitioin of what it was like being 17 in the '60s or 25 in the '70's! As to the theological tautologies, as you said, they're what David is going through...I'm happy that the story holds together enough, and the characters are viable enough that you stuck with it notwithstanding! They are not easily unwound and/or replaced! As to the week off from school, I suppose one would only have to request it because I don't remember it being automatic. David is not in his post-Christian phase, so we'll have to see where it goes from here!

Bensiamin
Re: We Could Be Heroes  [message #76890 is a reply to message #76440] Thu, 14 May 2020 20:57 Go to previous message

Likes it here

Ivor Slipper recently found this image, which seems more than appropriate to add given the current circumstances we live in!

http://forum.iomfats.org/?t=getfile&id=5118&private=0

[Updated on: Thu, 14 May 2020 20:58]

Bensiamin
Previous Topic: Outside the Foul Lines
Next Topic: angst until the final chapter
Goto Forum: