A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Why Brits don't get Trump
 () 1 Vote
Re: Why Brits don't get Trump  [message #77155 is a reply to message #77103] Fri, 24 July 2020 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bensiamin is currently offline  Bensiamin

Likes it here

A touch of reality and humor to keep this thread alive!

http://forum.iomfats.org/?t=getfile&id=5154&private=0

[Updated on: Fri, 24 July 2020 19:41]

Bensiamin
Re: Why Brits don't get Trump  [message #77182 is a reply to message #77155] Fri, 07 August 2020 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nicthalon is currently offline  Nicthalon

Getting started

To me the worst thing about US elections is that the nominees for office are almost entirely determined by the media. The media, through their televised "debates" determine who the public learns about by deciding, on their own terms, who is or isn't invited to said debates. If you aren't someone they care about, you don't get invited, thus the public never learns about you other than through grassroots campaigns or word of mouth. Even then, the popular opinion seems to be that if you can't get invited to the debate, you're not a serious contender in the first place, so who cares? The level of control over our lives we have given to the media is absolutely insane, especially considering the complete lack of ethics shown by so many of the "talking heads" IN the media.
Re: Why Brits don't get Trump  [message #77187 is a reply to message #77182] Sat, 08 August 2020 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

"Nicthalon wrote on Fri, 07 August 2020 01:08"
The level of control over our lives we have given to the media is absolutely insane, especially considering the complete lack of ethics shown by so many of the "talking heads" IN the media.

--
Which is why I seldom turn my mind's input spigot on for the input from the talking head shows, aka 24-hour cable news. I much prefer to absorb straight news reporting wherever it can be found, without the commentary. I then prefer to absorb any opinion commentary input at my leisure from various sources, mostly from the more reputable news agencies recognized as neither rightt or left leaning or slightly leftt or right leaning. I figure any news agency that falls beyond those limits is not going to provide reporting or opinion that's worth a damn. Politics, after all, is, or should be, people with disagreement coming togethter in the center to make law and set policy.

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: Why Brits don't get Trump  [message #77193 is a reply to message #77187] Sat, 08 August 2020 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bensiamin is currently offline  Bensiamin

Likes it here

This string began as "what Brits don't get about Trump", and a recent development brings us full circle in a way that everyone should be able to appreciate. Last night comedian Bill Maher had a classic bit with its origin in the fact that Trump has chosen not to attend the funerals of a number of famous Americans while President (John McCain, John Lewis, etc.), where he'd have to listen to the eulogies about their dedicated lives and good works, etc. Since a eulogy provides a summary of the person and their life, Maher did a eulogy for Trump!

http://forum.iomfats.org/?t=getfile&id=5157&private=0

It's a classic!

Here's the YouTube link.

[Updated on: Sat, 08 August 2020 15:46]

Bensiamin
Re: Why Brits don't get Trump  [message #77195 is a reply to message #77193] Sun, 09 August 2020 03:45 Go to previous message
Mark

Likes it here

"Bensiamin wrote on Sat, 08 August 2020 09:45"
 eulogies about their dedicated lives and good works, etc. Since a eulogy provides a summary of the person and their life, Maher did a eulogy for Trump!

--

It's amazing, then, that Mr. Maher was able to say anything at all!
Previous Topic: Films from the Seventies and Eighties
Next Topic: Horse on Seventh Ave.
Goto Forum: