A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Hey I have two questions
icon5.gif Hey I have two questions  [message #18620] Thu, 18 December 2003 17:10 Go to next message
tony is currently offline  tony

Toe is in the water

First how do you find someone that you have not seen for many years? I found this persons old address and phone number but was told he no longer lived there and they did not know how to get in touch with him. Any Ideas?? He lives somewhere in the USA but I don’t know how to find him.

Second what is the likelihood that a gay man would father a gay son. Is it the same as a straight man or is it increased. I have a son who is showing the same signs that I did at his age and was just wondering if it was possible that he was going through the same anguish that I did. Maybe it is a stupid question but even so I still don’t know the answer. I have tried to talk with him and let him know if he was it was ok with me but he will not say one way or the other.
Mad
He is 14 and I know this is the hardest time. :-/
Re: Hey I have two questions  [message #18622 is a reply to message #18620] Thu, 18 December 2003 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

tony wrote:
> First how do you find someone that you have not seen for many years? I found this persons old address and phone number but was told he no longer lived there and they did not know how to get in touch with him. Any Ideas?? He lives somewhere in the USA but I don’t know how to find him.
>
Whitepages.com is useful

> Second what is the likelihood that a gay man would father a gay son. Is it the same as a straight man or is it increased. I have a son who is showing the same signs that I did at his age and was just wondering if it was possible that he was going through the same anguish that I did. Maybe it is a stupid question but even so I still don’t know the answer. I have tried to talk with him and let him know if he was it was ok with me but he will not say one way or the other.

Just let him know that boyfriend or girlfriend all is 100% ok and then drop the subject totally. I am gay with a 100% str8 son. I have a feeling that, if inherited, it goes down the female line! Heck how else?
> Mad
> He is 14 and I know this is the hardest time. :-/

At 14 he;s be hard ALl the time, dude!
::-)

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Hey I have two questions  [message #18623 is a reply to message #18620] Thu, 18 December 2003 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marc is currently offline  marc

Needs to get a life!

Firstly, Tim is right, White Pages .com..... There are also agencies that specialize in finding people.

Secondly, Look at his refusal to be committal one way or another. If he were str8 he would have said so so loudly MY ears would have rung.

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
Re: Hey I have two questions  [message #18624 is a reply to message #18620] Thu, 18 December 2003 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nick is currently offline  nick

Likes it here

1. How do you find someone that you have not seen for many years?

If you know one of his old schools, colleges or work places you could try http://www.alumni.net

2. I still don’t know the answer. I have tried to talk with him and let him know if he was it was ok with me but he will not say one way or the other.

Maybe your son doesn't know the answer himself.
Non commital is not the same as an answer  [message #18627 is a reply to message #18620] Thu, 18 December 2003 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

At 14 it can be extremely hard to talk to a father about sex at all. Let alone being put on the spot about being or one orientation or the other.

If he knows you are gay he may not want to hurt your feelings by being str8, for example. Hard to know what he is thinking. So, just let him know he is loved and drop the topic.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Something else to add...  [message #18635 is a reply to message #18624] Fri, 19 December 2003 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

But quite often when people debate their sexuality the conclusion is jumped to that they are gay, otherwise why would they be questioning. That logic was pretty sound a few years back, but thesedays when being gay is becoming more popular and accepted, especially amongst younger generations, I think more and more straight people are questioning their sexuality before deciding that in fact they are straight. I have a number of online teen friends that for a stage thought they might be gay or bi, but in the end they decided that while they might have some attraction towards other males, 95% of the time they liked females, or enough of the time they liked females such that they should be considered straight. Hormones can do strange things and while in the ol' days if it was just hormones most guys would just brush it off, thesedays people are more likely to consider it, then draw conclusions themselves, a step that I think is a big step forward. It helps eliminate 'straight' as a default sexuality and lets people make up their mind one way or the other. But I'm getting a little off topic Razz

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Re: Something else to add...  [message #18650 is a reply to message #18635] Fri, 19 December 2003 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marc is currently offline  marc

Needs to get a life!

Making up ones mind implies a choice in the matter.

Ones sexuality is not a matter of choice.

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
Okay, I explained poorly  [message #18698 is a reply to message #18650] Sun, 21 December 2003 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

I don't mean that you actually choose, more that through a process of experience, thought, discussion, etc one comes to a conclusion in which they acknowledge which sexuality label (or lifestyle?) they best feel suits their sexuality attraction. No-one is 100% gay and no-one is 100% straight. Sexuality itself is not a choice, but rather the sexuality one lives is a choice. As children it is assumed we are straight until we 'realise' and 'admit' otherwise (to try and eliminate the word 'choice'), I'm just saying that while sexuality may be an innate factor that really until one says 'I am gay', or 'I am straight' and until they realise it, they should not be automatically considered straight, or any other sexuality, really.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
icon7.gif Not so bad Saben, here are my thoughts on that...  [message #18707 is a reply to message #18698] Sun, 21 December 2003 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kevin is currently offline  kevin

On fire!

I have a theory that only about 5-10% of the world is truely gay or straight according to the Kinsey scale. The fear of many comes primarily from the majority that cannot handle feelings that do not fit into a nice clean lable for themselves to live by. I happen to be very far at one end of the scale, but would I be totally honest to say I have never even had a thought in another direction? The answer is no. While I will never have a woman and really do not desire to, that does not mean i fit into that nice neat lable of 100% gay. Sure many of us try to paint us that way to make ourselves feel better about our views and feelings, but most times it is really not being honest with ourselves. Just like a straight man that cannot accept a stray thought of another guy.

While many of us are heavily leaning to one side or another. Especially gay men since society pushes us away from that so much that only the more gay leaning men will come to accept that about themselves. But with a little more honesty and introspection, we probably just "lean" to the gay side of life.

Please all, try to have an open mind about your fellow man (or woman). Since we are asking the world to accept us, a good first step would be to accept the rest of the world with the same zeal.

Juat my thoughts,

Kevin

"Be excellent to each other, and, party on dudes"!
Re: Hey I have two questions  [message #18754 is a reply to message #18620] Wed, 24 December 2003 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tony is currently offline  tony

Toe is in the water

First i would like to thank all of you who replied. I was just hoping to be able to help him get through the high school years if he was having the same kind of doubts about his sexuality as i was. I remember high school being hell for someone who was not in the mainstream. He is doing the same things i did at that age, keeping to himself, not staying in touch with old friends,gaining weight and trying to act like nothing is wrong when actually you felt like you were going crazy because you had no one to talk to about what you were feeling. I know this is not something one can feel comfortable talking to your father about but i don't know how else to help. I did let him know that he is loved and that there is nothing we can't talk about. Guess i just have to wait and see how he does on his own.

As far as trying to find an old friend i have looked on whitepages.com and also the alumni.net his name is not an uncommon one and that leaves alot of people showing up on whitepages.com. He must not have registered on alumni.net because he is not listed. there is a spot on whitepages that says find anyone for a fee. has anyone ever tried this service? anyone know if it works? it has been 25 years since i have heard from this person and would love to find him again. any other suggestions?
thanks
tony
icon7.gif Hiya....a little late  [message #18756 is a reply to message #18754] Wed, 24 December 2003 13:45 Go to previous message
smith is currently offline  smith

On fire!

All you can do for your son is to let him always know you love him uncondtionally. That stuff about staying to himself, letting go of old friends, going crazy......just been there, still doing that. It's really weird because even though all I want is to talk to them, they will want to "talk" to me and I don't want that. See how bizarre that is? He's trying to pull away and yet he wants you right there. If you asked him what was wrong....he couldn't find the words. The gay thing....if he wants to tell you anything like that, he will.

The search thing.........My Grandmom wanted to find people she went to school with...she used one of those services and they found them. She needed to know their birthdates, birthplaces and Mama's maiden name if possible. I think maybe they search birth certificates. It wouldn't hurt to try that if you're really wanting to find him.

Merry Merry ~ smith
Previous Topic: ho ho time and other merriment
Next Topic: An illusion for Christmas ....
Goto Forum: