A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > my nephew
icon9.gif my nephew  [message #4384] Sun, 15 September 2002 06:22 Go to next message
Guest is currently offline  Guest

On fire!

I have a nephew who has somehow contracted the hiv virus
and is not doing anything to try to keep his health...
its almost as though he seems to want to die....
I took him to the state clinic and made all the arrangements to get him state paid medical care... they also offered to arrange to put him on disability and he could get a check each
month so he would not have to work... and they would also put
him into government assisted housing and pay for all his medical bills..... he never even showed up... he basicly walked
away from all help... needless to say our family is very worried.... but he's no kid, he 29 , so I can't force him ,like some little kid... I know this may not be the most
approiate place to post this, but I was hoping maybe you might have some good advice to help... thanks...
Welcome, Bob. Sorry it took something like this  [message #4385 is a reply to message #4384] Sun, 15 September 2002 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trevor is currently offline  trevor

Really getting into it

to get you posting, though. All I can think of is to try to show him how valuable his life is to others that he cares about and that he is loved. I don't follow the HIV/AIDS thing much, but it seems like the treatments are becoming more and more effective, which is something he should know. Of course it's also extremely important that he avoid affecting anyone else, but he has to care first.

Sorry if this is obvious. He has my prayers - several of them.
Re: Welcome, Bob. Sorry it took something like this  [message #4386 is a reply to message #4385] Sun, 15 September 2002 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

thanks trevor
One of our number has beaten HIV  [message #4387 is a reply to message #4384] Sun, 15 September 2002 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

His name is Christian, which I am sure is not relevant at all, and he has somehow shaken it off.

I will ask him to come here earlier than he might otherwise and to get in touch with you and to talk.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Welcome Bob  [message #4389 is a reply to message #4384] Sun, 15 September 2002 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gil is currently offline  gil

Likes it here

All I can offer is perhaps another point of view on your nephew's refusal of help. From what I understood of your post, and I might be wrong here, you got him financial help so he can take it easy and take care of himself but in the process he will have to leave his job which he might like and that gives him somthing to do. He might be feeling that he must keep contributing to society, he might be feeling that by admiting he needs help he is showing that the virus is winning. Again all of these are options, I don't know him but this has happened before. All I can think of is that you should talk to him and ask him how he would like you to help him, ask him what he plans to do, just be there for him.

I will keep him in my thoughts.

Gil

Searching for the light at the end of the bed...
Re: my nephew  [message #4395 is a reply to message #4384] Sun, 15 September 2002 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

you are right in your assessment, he is comitting suicide. The thing is, he probably considers his life done with because he is HIV. I know by experience it is not the case, and that you can continue living a productive life. Can you put him in contact with me ASAP?

Give him my home email: thrse.lamontagne@sympatico.ca, or my icq number 34585457, or my aim nick name: christianlepsy; or my msn email/ref: christianlepsy@hotmail.com.

I will do my best to prime him to taking proper action.
Re: One of our number has beaten HIV  [message #4396 is a reply to message #4387] Sun, 15 September 2002 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

see my coordinates in the post below. And yes, I'm HIV+. been for 15 yrs. Beaten? dont know about that, but I do know if u dont fight u lose.
Re: my nephew  [message #4404 is a reply to message #4384] Mon, 16 September 2002 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kevin is currently offline  kevin

On fire!

Hi Bob.

All I can say, from some personal experience, is to keep trying. It seems to be quite obvious that you care a great deal.

I wish I sould tell you the one thing to say, do or facilitate that can turn a self-destructive person around. But love, support, and just being there seem to be high on the list.

You have my best wishes,

Kevin

"Be excellent to each other, and, party on dudes"!
Re: my nephew  [message #4410 is a reply to message #4395] Mon, 16 September 2002 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

christianlepsy;
thanks, i really do thank you,but... he quit his job,and moved out of his apt. and is now on the street... and avoiding his
family... i think he wants to die...
Re: my nephew  [message #4411 is a reply to message #4404] Mon, 16 September 2002 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

thank you,kevin
Re: Welcome Bob  [message #4412 is a reply to message #4389] Mon, 16 September 2002 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

gil,
i'm sorry, i should have explained better...
he already quit his job... and moved out of his apt. and is now living on the street... he stays most of the time with some of his friends.. and stays away from his family...
he acts like he wants to die...
Re: One of our number has beaten HIV  [message #4413 is a reply to message #4387] Mon, 16 September 2002 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

thanks timmy
Re: Welcome, Bob. Sorry it took something like this  [message #4414 is a reply to message #4385] Mon, 16 September 2002 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

trever, that means alot to me,thank you...
Re: my nephew  [message #4415 is a reply to message #4411] Mon, 16 September 2002 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kevin is currently offline  kevin

On fire!

No thanks required, you are inspirational, I should thank you.

If it helps, My e-mail is Kcsincere@aol.com, anytime, for you or your nephew, anytime. I just wish I could do more.

All my best.

Kevin

"Be excellent to each other, and, party on dudes"!
Re: my nephew  [message #4416 is a reply to message #4410] Mon, 16 September 2002 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
warren c. e. austin is currently offline  warren c. e. austin

Likes it here

Bob

What part of the "World" are we talking about here? Perhaps one of us is close at hand.

Like the others here, any message your nephew would care to send me will receive prompt attention.

What is his first-name, and how old is he?

Warren C. E. Austin
On line contact  [message #4417 is a reply to message #4384] Mon, 16 September 2002 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trevor is currently offline  trevor

Really getting into it

. . . probably doesn't sound very feasible at this point, and maybe you can't really communicate much at all?

If nothing else you could print some of these and hand them to him when you see him - let him know we care and HIV is not a death sentence.

Until just recently, you could go on-line in our local public library's computers - now you need a library card to do it, but it is still free - or, if he's staying with friends, use their computers? You probably know this, but Yahoo or Hotmail take only a few minutes to register and cost nothing, don't require a particular computer or configuration.

My prayers will continue.
Re: On line contact  [message #4426 is a reply to message #4417] Tue, 17 September 2002 05:53 Go to previous message

On fire!

thank you,my friend...
Previous Topic: Hey Lennie how did the elecction go? Please feel free to correct my
Next Topic: VACATION
Goto Forum: