A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > The paradox of juvenile attraction at schools
The paradox of juvenile attraction at schools  [message #44498] Wed, 22 August 2007 22:54 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I thought, pretty much, that my school was unique, except for the representation in "If..." of UK Public Schools of the 1960s in the allowing of expressions of amorous adoration of younger boys, but not real homosexual erotic thoughts harboured towards them.

While Michael Campbell also put this into "Lord Dismiss Us", I had assumed it to have been a fiction.

I am reading "Moab is my Washpot", a rant by Stephen Fry disguised as an autobiography. Uppingham, it seems, also had younger boys "displayed" as fashion accessories, too, just like Epsom did. And it also disapproved if it was felt that you were really queer.

Of course this was a different era.

[Updated on: Wed, 22 August 2007 22:54]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: The paradox of juvenile attraction at schools  [message #44501 is a reply to message #44498] Thu, 23 August 2007 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

What amused me at school was the excuse that these senior boys really had girlfriends at home, but during term time because of the régime only had access to boys as a substitute.

Hugs
Nigel

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: The paradox of juvenile attraction at schools  [message #44507 is a reply to message #44501] Thu, 23 August 2007 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

The bit I don't understand is one chap who was, at school, totally into boys. He is very much into girls today. One state or the other is bravado.

One of my school colleagues professed openly total love for a smaller (and oddly unappealing) boy. He runs a large London law firm today confident in heterosexuality, and would doubtless sue if anyone dared to suggest otherwise.

Knowing a reasonably recent generation of Public School pupils I can say the this quasi-gay element seems absent today. Unless, of course, you know different

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: The paradox of juvenile attraction at schools  [message #44512 is a reply to message #44507] Thu, 23 August 2007 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

Timmy wrote:

>Knowing a reasonably recent generation of Public School pupils I can say the this quasi-gay element seems absent today…<

One reason is probably that so many public schools have gone co-educational. At school there are or were two kinds of gay boys; one the complete homosexual who would continue to be gay throughout his life; the other the adolescent homosexual going through that phase, or because nothing else was available he turned his attention to what was available, namely other boys. And let's face it, boys of a certain age can be very attractive in the literal sense of the word as well, especially when they realise they have winning ways and are prepared to exploit them for whatever reason.

Hugs
N

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: The paradox of juvenile attraction at schools  [message #44540 is a reply to message #44512] Fri, 24 August 2007 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

I think bisexuality is very common during adolescence and the subsequent years. Look at Greek Pedarasty, after all, usually the "older" mentor was no older than 20-30. The impulse to breed probably overcomes bisexual tendencies in older males of the species, so homosexual encounters become less frequent.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Re: The paradox of juvenile attraction at schools  [message #44543 is a reply to message #44540] Fri, 24 August 2007 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

The impulse to breed seems to be a feminine gender trait. Males have an impulse to shag.

Re: The paradox of juvenile attraction at schools  [message #44563 is a reply to message #44543] Sat, 25 August 2007 02:09 Go to previous message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

Mostly. But there is a small degree of wanting to have kids in a lot of guys, whether they admit it or not. Men, at some stage in their lives, do want to at least have someone that's their own flesh to be able to look up to them. Men like to be fathers- they just don't like to be husbands as much (it limits their shagging).

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Previous Topic: Advice?
Next Topic: Provincial utah
Goto Forum: