A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > I hate this!!!
icon8.gif I hate this!!!  [message #4454] Fri, 20 September 2002 00:08 Go to next message
gil is currently offline  gil

Likes it here

I decided to try and be optimistic - I failed!
Everywhere I turn I see hate and spite and fear, to overcome these you talk but no one will listen.
What brought on this post you wonder, well...

-----------------------------------------------
Five Greenpeace activists were arrested yesterday morning after they blocked the approach road to the Kishon Industries plant at Volcani junction, causing severe traffic jams between Haifa and nearby towns. The five chained themselves to a pipeline to protest the continuing pollution of the Kishon River. "Behind the innocent word `salts,ยด the Environment Ministry is hiding the fact that 72,4343 kgs of ammonia, 2,373 kgs of zinc, 475 kgs of lead, 237 kgs of cadmium and 9,673 kgs of detergents are being poured into the Kishon," said Greenpeace Israel director, Sharon Shemesh. Commander David Sisso, head of the Zevulun police division, said: "Instead of chasing crime and criminals, I have to waste my time on five gays and a pipeline."
-----------------------------------------------

this homophobic statement by the police is an improvment. Just two week ago about 20 cops cursed and beat a gay couple. A week before that the police arrested two teenagers (both male) whom were kissing in a park, the two were cuffed, arrested, ridiculed and when the parents were called they were shocked since one of the boys was still in the closet at the time.

I thought I lived in an enlightened society where I can be accepted for who I am - I was wrong!!!
I am ashamed of my country, of my government, and of myself for being so blind to the truth.

I hate this!!!
Gil

Searching for the light at the end of the bed...
Well, let's see.....  [message #4455 is a reply to message #4454] Fri, 20 September 2002 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marc is currently offline  marc

Needs to get a life!

What defines an enlightened society?

Enlightment does not imply acceptance, not by any means.

All I can say is to be careful, and to remember the origin of the pink triangle.

You can not be responsible for how the social structure in your country degrades its self by publicly harrasing it's youth. But conversly, the youth need to be socialy discrete as well.

I hope things get better for you.
Marc

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
Re: I hate this!!!  [message #4458 is a reply to message #4454] Fri, 20 September 2002 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
warren c. e. austin is currently offline  warren c. e. austin

Likes it here

Historically, racism and it's proliferation, in tandem with other anti-social prejudices, seems to escalate during periods of economic uncertaintly; this has been the case throughtout most of North America (and probably elsewhere as well) for that past 10-years or more.

Rampant unemployment exists (despite the seasonally adjusted figures that Governments attempt to hide behind), with diminished buying-power wide-spread in every retail-sector.

We, in Canada, are only just now recovering from the disaster known collectively as NAFTA, with unemployment having bottomed out at 50% of the work-force in 1999-2000 (the Government says different, but believe me it was likely even higher than 50%), and with interest rates stable, and our under-valued dollar apparently thriving at or about 65-cents in relation to the U. S. dollar, jobs are once again being created, but largely in areas where none had existed before.

These past ten-years have been the ugliest in our history for hate crimes, prejudice, and collective racism; I'm not especially proud of my fellow citizens.

The resurgence of Fundalmentaist Christian Religious Sects in combination with the HIV/AIDS epidemic has been largely fuelled by this downward spiralling economy, with the only beneficiaries being the leaders of the Religious Sect, although Lord knows why, especially allowing that if they haven't money to food on their table, nor a food over their head, I can't understand where the money comes from that they send those turkeys to have them pray for them.

This phenomenom was last seen, in Canada, during the 1930's, and once again I can't totally understand why here at all, as if any country survived the "Great Depression" largely unscathed it was ours; but it was this same period that brought Hitler and his thugs to power, just as I'm sure economic short-comings were probably at the root of "Rasputin" and his ilk in the 1800's, and "Torquemada" in the 1400's. Religious persecution has always been a handy tool in the quelling of free thought, and the three I mention here are just a couple that come most readily to mind, but history tells of so many others; after all, those who control the wealth want to ensure they continue to do so, and there is no better way than to foster "hate" and intolerance in society regarding anyone who is perceived as thinking or acting outside the established norms. "Gays", like Jews, and people of colour, are easy targets, as are anyone who is just a little-bit different, with them often being branded "heretics" or other such nonsense to silence them.

As a corollary one only has to look at Great Britain in the period follwing the Second War. Their economy was rapidly being flushed down the toilet, the Empire was no more, yet a intrinsically more fair-minded society had not likely ever existed prior to the creation of that Empire; yes it was founded out of greed, and a desire to manipulate and control, but by and large, overt "Racism" with a capital "R" was never sanctioned in polite society.

This of course came to a grinding halt in the 1970's, prompting the cancellation of "British Subject" status to untold millions of Commonwealth citizens, who by and large were better educated (thanks largely to imposed "British" standards for education, and societal behaviour) and eminently more qualified for the few available jobs in the British Isles, and who historically had been welcomed without any let or hindrance in prior times, and who then because of their British Citizenship, and shifts either politically or economically elsewhere in the world, were flocking to the United Kingdom in unprecedented numbers.

The situation is probably better now (although Tim or other resident of the British Isles would be in a better position to comment on that, as it's been twenty years since I lived there), but the effects of similar emigration patterns are being felt thoughtout much of Europe (The Nederlands, Germany, Italy and Greece are a few that have made news in this regard recently or in the past 10-years), and I don't expect that it would be any different in the Middle East either, and specifically in Israel, Jordan, Egypt, Syria or Lebanon.

What is happening on a global-scale now, certainly is not the first-, nor will it ever be the last-time, it rears its' ugly head.

Warren C. E. Austin
This is not a "PC" answer  [message #4460 is a reply to message #4458] Fri, 20 September 2002 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Immigration into the UK has always been a diffuclt issue. I come frim immigrant stock, too, so need to be grateful for th efact that my father was allowed in at all, the more so since he was Viennese and jewish, not an "Empire Citizen"

We had immigration policies that were not "You are welcome here" ever for any except white commonwealth and empire citizens. "Whites, this way. You blacks, Chinese, Asians (We persist in calling people from India and Pakistan "Asians") stand in the line that leads back to your homeland"

We created mass commonwealkth immigration when we had no UK resicents who wanted to do crap jobs that required low education. London Transport, the organistaion that ran the London Undergroiund and the London Bus services needed men and women to drive buses and trains, sell tickest, collect fares and man stations.

In the West Indies was a huge, largely uneducated, workforce, with some amazing exmaples of high educational standards. London Transport literally imported by the shipload its entire replacement workforce.

At this time a politician, Enoch Powell, made a speech that has been branded as racist. He talked calmly about "Rivers of blood on the streets" if this was allowed to continue unchecked. Th epolitically correct of the time did not see the calm, sane truth of his prophecy, and trashed him. After that, a good few years later, as he predicted, we had, and to an extent still have, race riots. originally this was with the West Indian communities, and now it is with those from India and Pakistan.

But this all gives rise to taunts of "Black bastard", "Nigger", "Paki", and the now old fashioned "wog" (which I am told stood for "Westernised Oriental Gentleman".

When I was in school, anti semitism was rife. During WW2, German Jews were atunted for being GERMAN.

The crime all these racial types commit is to be different from other people. I am indistiunguishable from any other white Englishman, so never suffered being second generation immigrant stock. My father had the thickest Viennese accetn you could imagine, and had to live by his wits to get employment.

Which brings us to the gay-hating Police. I think it isn't a "police" thing, but a personal thing.

Gay policemen exist.

This asshole was just equating anyone with humanity (which he does not have) as being gay.

I am desperately sorry for the two kids kissing in the park. Where else could they go? And they got busted.

As a side issue, we have a UK TV Police Soap: "The Bill". Tow coppers kissing in the police station is part od the plot. Neither are female

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
The world is round, that's all  [message #4462 is a reply to message #4454] Fri, 20 September 2002 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smith is currently offline  smith

On fire!

Being blind to the truth simply means you wanted what was true and right and hoped that your country was different. But Gil... Never be ashamed of wanting more, of wanting people to be able to accept each other, of wanting the world to be tolerant as well as round.

Boys can't kiss in the park where you live....boys can't kiss in the park where I live. My closet is so deep that I feel like I live by the lamppost in Narnia.

I know you hate this. We all hate this. Enlightened societies don't exist yet........only enlightened people,but we can hope.
((hugs))
smith
Re: I hate this!!!  [message #4468 is a reply to message #4454] Fri, 20 September 2002 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kevin is currently offline  kevin

On fire!

Hi Gill,

I get a bit down about the state of the world myself sometimes. I agree these things you mention are horrible. I geuss what keeps me going is that I am one of those who chain myself to the pipe, write letter after letter, and generally try to make myself heard. I like to thinks the difference between myself and the far right, is that I DO have a social consience.

I care as much as you do, but it is important that we see the world for how it really is. Only then do we no what needs fixing.

I am an optimist myself, but that applies to what the future will be. Lots of work left.

Chin up, it WILL get better!

Kevin

"Be excellent to each other, and, party on dudes"!
I have to agree, smith..  [message #4472 is a reply to message #4462] Sat, 21 September 2002 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
charlie is currently offline  charlie

Really getting into it

Our world (read society) really has not moved out of the Dark Ages, but does change targets every few hundred years. Society as a whole is very slow to change, but what we are seeing now in individuals are cracks in the armor. The problem is when you miss the crack and hit the policeman. There the armor is as though as ever. But the cracks are bigger now than ten years ago, and much bigger than fifty years ago.

Hugs, Charlie
Re: The world is round, that's all  [message #4475 is a reply to message #4462] Sat, 21 September 2002 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gil is currently offline  gil

Likes it here

That is just the point, I thought things were different. I truly believed in society and that this day and age things like that don't happen anymore, at least where I live. Because of these beliefs I came out to my parents and some of my friends. I was lucky so far but now I feel cheated somehow. I was always happy thinking how we progressed to the point I don't have to fear as much, how today people are more prone to be open minded then not.
It took all I worked for and made it meaningless, at least that is how I feel...

May you always walk in the light of truth
Gil

Searching for the light at the end of the bed...
There is something about "coming out"  [message #4476 is a reply to message #4475] Sat, 21 September 2002 10:00 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

I think it always surprises us.

The act of telling a perons of your sexual orientation is not an act that alters a single thing, and especially not their perspective on the world, gay people in general, or, usually, on you. I am painfully aware that there are nasty exceptions to this last thing, and that stupid, ignorant fathers and mothers inflict pain and terror on gay sons. I am generalising, however.

That you told your family about you is a great thing, but affects your country and society not at all. That they are sincere in their love for you is a great thing, but affects you and your conutry not at all.

What does affect your country is the way you, and the way other yoing men with less traditional orientations, live their lives, are a part of that society, and seek gently to influence changes in attitudes.

The WORLD has not chnaged with the apparent acceptance of homosexuality, but po ckets of local societies have altered. Regrettably some societal areas (the Arab world?) have both hardened their attitudes with fundamentalist sects, yet still "practice" homosexuality (provided, it seems that they do the buggering but are not buggered! Interesting doible standards there) and condemn it at the same time.

The USA is not a tolerant country. Ask smith and others about Redneck Hicksville. But parts of it are tolerant and accepting. The UK is more tolerant. The Netherlands is less tolerant that the world news would have us believe.

But let us also think.

Who comes up to another person in the street or office or at a party and says "Hi, my name is Fred and I am a practicing heterosexual"?

Orientation has only to do with social ability to function and be relaxed. As a minority, if we are to achieve tolerance for ourselves, our role is to work towards it, not ever to agitate for it (for agitation frightenes the "moral majority", and definitely frightens closet cases), and to show that we are as responsible members of society as if we prefer female partners.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Previous Topic: Well, this evening we said our so longs....
Next Topic: Ganymede
Goto Forum: