A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > For political balance… (File under satire)
For political balance… (File under satire)  [message #51599] Tue, 15 July 2008 18:27 Go to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

An e-mail from the UK to the brethren in the States. 

A point to ponder despite your political affiliation:

'We, in the UK , can't figure out why people are even bothering to hold an election in the United States .

On one side, you have a pants wearing lawyer, married to a lawyer who can't keep his pants on, who just lost a long and heated primary against a lawyer who goes to the wrong church who is married to yet another lawyer who doesn't even like the country her husband wants to run.

Now… On the other side, you have a nice old war hero whose name starts with the appropriate Mc terminology married to a good looking younger woman who owns a beer distributorship.

What, in Lord's name, are you lads thinking over there in the colonies??

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
icon7.gif Re: For political balance… (File under satire)  [message #51600 is a reply to message #51599] Tue, 15 July 2008 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Benji is currently offline  Benji

Likes it here

We like to change our 'minds' every four years, I prefer the war hero myself. BTW, I have often wondered how your Parliament manages to get anything done, anytime I see a clip of a 'session' they seem to shout/boo each other down!
Re: For political balance… (File under satire)  [message #51601 is a reply to message #51600] Tue, 15 July 2008 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acam is currently offline  acam

On fire!

Just as I cannot imagine circumstances under which I might vote Conservative in a UK election, I cannot imagine if I were a citizen of the USA voting anything but Democrat.

The main trouble in the UK is that Blair made New Labour a sort of mild conservative. I wait to see if Obama wins and fear what he will do. (But McCain would do worse. My father's name was Abel.)

But is this the right forum for politics. If we want to treat each other nicely and be less aggressive maybe we should keep off politics and religion.

[Make] Love, [not war]
Anthony
Re: For political balance… (File under satire)  [message #51607 is a reply to message #51599] Tue, 15 July 2008 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arich is currently offline  arich

Really getting into it

Sighs, thank goodness Shillery didn’t get in for a third term, it’s yet to be seem what Osama will do, I have no choice but to support him. I worry too much about the Manchurian candidate. He exhibits an out of control temper if not a down right distemper. I don’t want this guy’s finger poised above the button. No way!!!!!

The truth is we haven’t had any real choice in this country for a very long time as we can see from the example of Ron Paul, if you don’t have a rubber stamp from either the RNC or DNC you don’t stand a snowballs chance.

Right on Anthony Make Love Not War;-)

People will tell you where they've gone
They'll tell you where to go
But till you get there yourself you never really know
Where some have found their paradise
Other's just come to harm
Re: For political balance… (File under satire)  [message #51608 is a reply to message #51601] Tue, 15 July 2008 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

Anthony, I look in at a site where you are only allowed to make nice comments. The result is that among the good stuff you have to wade though unadulterated rubbish.

By instinct I have always been against censorship, relying on people's good sense. I know someone will always let the side down, but I think that is better than the dull neutral alternative. Also I find certain uncensored material offensive. That's the price to be paid.

Whether we like it or not religion and politics touch all our lives. (Religion even touches your life through you antipathy towards it.) I therefore would not like to see it off limits.

Hugs
Nigel

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: For political balance… (File under satire)  [message #51616 is a reply to message #51599] Wed, 16 July 2008 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yusime is currently offline  yusime

Likes it here

It is going to be a strange election on the one side we have wounded people who "hate" God so much people are annoyed with them. On the other we have angry people who "love" God so much it hurts to listen to them. Maybe we won't even have an election this year the "activist" judges might just pick the next leader like they did in 2000. That would solve the coming election "problem" easily.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake since for him a spinal cord would suffice. Albert Einstein
Re: For political balance… (File under satire)  [message #51624 is a reply to message #51599] Thu, 17 July 2008 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CallMePaul is currently offline  CallMePaul

Really getting into it

I couldn't agree with you more, Nigel. It seems like every presidential election is the same. When the major parties finally select their nominees you wonder "how the hell did they pick that person"? Of all the millions of people in this country, is that the best we can ever do? I think we'd be better off if we let a computer pick our leaders. (I volunteer to write the software) Smile

Youth crisis hot-line 866-488-7386, 24 hr (U.S.A.)
There are people who want to help you cope with being you.
Re: For political balance… (File under satire)  [message #51626 is a reply to message #51624] Thu, 17 July 2008 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JFR is currently offline  JFR

On fire!

>>I talk democracy to these men and women. I tell them that they have the vote, and that theirs is the kingdom and the power and the glory. I say to them "You are supreme: exercise your power." They say, "That's right: tell us what to do"; and I tell them. I say "Exercise your vote intelligently by voting for me." And they do. That's democracy; and a splendid thing it is too for putting the right men in the right place.<<

George Bernard Shaw, The Apple Cart, 1929

Plus ça change plus c'est la même chose.

J F R

The paradox has often been noted that the United States, founded in secularism, is now the most religiose country in Christendom, while England, with an established church headed by its constitutional monarch, is among the least. (Richard Dawkins, 2006)
Re: For political balance… (File under satire)  [message #51636 is a reply to message #51607] Thu, 17 July 2008 22:39 Go to previous message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

Of course Bob Barr is running for the Libertarian Party and currently sitting on about 6%

It's a long shot, especially with a first past the post system. But who knows.

If we're lucky he'll provide enough of a spoiler effect that the major parties will seriously start to consider electoral reform.

Like each state's electoral college votes being awarded proportionally. StV would work mighty fine, in my opinion.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Previous Topic: gay Italian looses driving Licence
Next Topic: Why bike shorts should be black.......
Goto Forum: