A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Out, gay diver wins gold medal
Out, gay diver wins gold medal  [message #52525] Sun, 24 August 2008 16:06 Go to next message
E.J. is currently offline  E.J.

Really getting into it

http://outsports.com/olympics2008/2008/08/23/openly-gay-diver-matthew-mitcham-wins-gold/

http://outsports.com/olympics2008/2008/08/23/eyewitness-matthew-mitchams-incredible-gold/

(\\__/) And if you don't believe The sun will rise
(='.'=) Stand alone and greet The coming night
(")_(") In the last remaining light. (C. Cornell)
Re: Out, gay diver wins gold medal  [message #52529 is a reply to message #52525] Sun, 24 August 2008 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

This is interesting, but is, or should be, irrelevant.

What I mean is that he is a diver. he happens to be gay. Most of the athletes are "Out Heterosexuals", which is also irrelevant.

He performed his sport to an exceptional level. I'm glad he is comfortable with his orientation, but at the same time I don't really "care" about it except with passing interest.

It ought to be as unimportant to the rest of the world, too. It reminds me of my post about US black athletes.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Out, gay diver wins gold medal  [message #52532 is a reply to message #52529] Mon, 25 August 2008 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
E.J. is currently offline  E.J.

Really getting into it

timmy wrote:
> This is interesting, but is, or should be, irrelevant.

It should be, and in a perfect world it would be, but the people issuing death threats don't seem to think it is irrelevant, nor do those who are calling NBC bigoted for not mentioning that he is gay (a fairly foolish claim).

Video shown in his home country leaves little doubt:
http://outsports.com/olympics2008/2008/08/24/matthew-mitcham-talks-with-partner-at-side/
  • Attachment: dive 1.jpg
    (Size: 33.40KB, Downloaded 277 times)

(\\__/) And if you don't believe The sun will rise
(='.'=) Stand alone and greet The coming night
(")_(") In the last remaining light. (C. Cornell)
Re: Out, gay diver wins gold medal  [message #52533 is a reply to message #52529] Mon, 25 August 2008 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JimB is currently offline  JimB

Likes it here

timmy wrote:
> It ought to be as unimportant to the rest of the world, too.

You are correct Timmy. Unfortunately that isn't the case. I too wish mankind was perfect, but it is far from it.

JimB
Re: Out, gay diver wins gold medal  [message #52536 is a reply to message #52532] Mon, 25 August 2008 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I think the point is that we who are gay need to ensure we do not self ghettoise. Matt has come out. Good for him, that met his needs, his personal needs. I feel that we also should meet our own personal needs.

I aspire to a world where we, those who are gay, have no emotional need to tell people that we are, a world where we just are.

Of course we're not even close yet, but is the mechanism to get there one of some people seeming to be proud that this extraordinary diver is gay, or simply one that says "Extraordinary Diver!" followed, if necessary by, "I wonder why it matters to some folk if he's gay?"

Maybe I'm a generation ahead in aspiration. But maybe that's the right place for us to move to in our heads in nations where homosexuality is acceptable.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Out, gay diver wins gold medal  [message #52537 is a reply to message #52533] Mon, 25 August 2008 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I answered EJ before I read your post, Jim. I'd need to repeat the same answer, really.

I'm certainly not criticising EJ for posting the article, in case anyone thinks so, by the way. Nor am I criticising the article itself. It's the self ghettoisation I am concerning myself with.

Re: Out, gay diver wins gold medal  [message #52539 is a reply to message #52537] Mon, 25 August 2008 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fingolfin is currently offline  Fingolfin

Likes it here

It is important for me, however...
Three days ago Matthew Mitcham was a name of an athlete. Today, it is a name of an Olympic winner. An openly gay man. With a partner who was shown to the world. And obviously a happy couple. It means a lot

Marek

It is better to switch on a small light than to curse the darkness.
- Vincent Šikula, Slovak writer
Re: Out, gay diver wins gold medal  [message #52540 is a reply to message #52539] Mon, 25 August 2008 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

The part that, to me, is important is that he and his partner are a happy couple. It isn't their homosexuality that is important exactly, just their ordinariness in being a couple before the world.

In this situation 'ordinariness' is to be prized.

Re: Out, gay diver wins gold medal  [message #52541 is a reply to message #52540] Mon, 25 August 2008 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

For everyone it means something different. For Aussies it means that their athlete managed to beat the rest of the world (especially Chinese divers), for homophobics it means another human to be hated as he "plagues" their world, for us it means courage: coming out and winning in spite of the focus of media on his sexuality instead of his performance AND being happy with who he is and whom he loves. For many people he means nothing...
For me, he is one of the most remarkable heroes of the Beijing Games.

Marek

Re: Out, gay diver wins gold medal  [message #52545 is a reply to message #52541] Mon, 25 August 2008 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acam is currently offline  acam

On fire!

Yes, Marek,

it makes me feel a bit better, seeing him do that, all of us, I guess. And maybe it won't be too long before footballers can come out without having to follow the outing with suicide.

But complete acceptance waits upon not just the eclipse of the religious right but also of fundamentalists in quite a few religions. When are we going to see another gay pope? (One who can be open about it, I mean!)

I suppose Europe, Australia and north America are the tolerant places. I think most of Africa and Asia is intolerant and some of south America maybe is coming over to tolerance.

I wonder whether it will ever be safe for boyfriends to walk down any road they please holding hands.

Love,
Anthony
Re: Out, gay diver wins gold medal  [message #52546 is a reply to message #52545] Mon, 25 August 2008 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

When will such things be possible???

No one knows. We all just hope that one day... Like M.L.King, Jr. Maybe I will see it when I'm an old man, but probably not...

I want kiss my boyfriend (who I'm gonna find) whenever and wherever I want without causing even raised eyebrows. Is this possible? I'm afraid that not in a hundred years. (deep sigh)

The only relief is that nowadays many people tend to not fit... either because they had no choice or they made it (their choice). Most folk who are somehow different usually are as well more tolerant to others who are different elseway.

Marek

Re: Out, gay diver wins gold medal  [message #52552 is a reply to message #52540] Mon, 25 August 2008 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roger is currently offline  Roger

Really getting into it

Gay boys need role models. The fact that this athelet is out of the closet and has acheived so much, gives gay boys something to be proud of. It shows the world you dont have to be in the closet to win a gold medal. It tells gay boys that there are gay men in the world accomplishing great things.

If you stand for Freedom, but you wont stand for war, then you dont stand for anything worth fighting for.
Re: Out, gay diver wins gold medal  [message #52553 is a reply to message #52541] Mon, 25 August 2008 16:37 Go to previous message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

As a gay Australian all it meant to me was... "oh, he's gay? I thought he might me" much as one might remark "oh, he's law student is he?" It was nice that the Chinese didn't get a clean sweep, but I was more impressed by the performance of Steve Hooker in the pole vault. He got Australia's first men's track-and-field gold in 40 years and I believe our first Olympic Record in such an event ever. For a nation that prides itself on swimmers more than track-and-field athletes every track-and-field gold we get it treasured.

I was going to say more about being gay being a big deal, but I'll make that a new post, it was drifting off topic.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Previous Topic: Soulforce
Next Topic: ~Broken Angel~
Goto Forum: