A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Sarah Palin
Re: Libertarianism (Barry Goldwater)  [message #52983 is a reply to message #52982] Sat, 06 September 2008 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

Doing as little as possible is the traditional stance of the federal government in Switzerland, and if the people don't like what they do, they have a referendum. Power is invested in the cantons and the people. Switzerland is the most efficient and harmonious country in Europe, if not the world, and the second wealthiest in Europe.

Hugs
N

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: Libertarianism (Barry Goldwater)  [message #52988 is a reply to message #52983] Sat, 06 September 2008 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kupuna is currently offline  kupuna

Really getting into it

The Swiss are taking care of vast fortunes of crooks from all continents. Flexibility instead of strong ethical principles has always been lucrative.
Re: Libertarianism (Barry Goldwater)  [message #52990 is a reply to message #52988] Sat, 06 September 2008 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

Some are crooks, most are legitimate, but more importantly most of the relations the Swiss have with them are legitimate.

Is it wrong to sell groceries to a mugger when all you have to go on is suspicion?

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Re: Libertarianism (Barry Goldwater)  [message #52991 is a reply to message #52990] Sat, 06 September 2008 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arich is currently offline  arich

Really getting into it

Well Saben, Holocaust survivors did win judgments against most Swiss bank for reparations of money they hid for the Nazi's stolen from them and then kept and used the money after the war.

Pretty damning if you ask me! even if they are "legitimate," most of these guys would sell any or all of us down the river if the prise is right, even as the old saying goes "their own mothers!"

People will tell you where they've gone
They'll tell you where to go
But till you get there yourself you never really know
Where some have found their paradise
Other's just come to harm
Re: Libertarianism (Barry Goldwater)  [message #52995 is a reply to message #52988] Sat, 06 September 2008 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

That may be true, but it is a non sequitur.

Hugs
N

Switzerland (sorry JFR)  [message #52996 is a reply to message #52991] Sat, 06 September 2008 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Can you name the guilty people? Are they alive today? If you condemn President Bush's actions in Iraq amd Afghanistan, does that condemn the U S or the American population?

Hugs
N

Re: Switzerland (sorry JFR)  [message #53000 is a reply to message #52996] Sun, 07 September 2008 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Really it kinda does. This country is supposed to have a government created by the people. If this indeed is the case, then we must take the responsibility for the government we elect.

Re: Libertarianism (Barry Goldwater)  [message #53001 is a reply to message #52995] Sun, 07 September 2008 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Non sequitiur to libertarianism and Barry Goldwater? No I suppose not.

Re: Sarah Palin  [message #53002 is a reply to message #52890] Sun, 07 September 2008 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
electroken is currently offline  electroken

Likes it here

While I was visiting in Australia last winter ( NO I really couldn't afford it but knew I would never have another chance to go) I was asked who I thought would win the presidential election. At that time I was sure that McCain was going to be the Repub cand. and if Hilary was his opponent, he would win, but if it was Obama then I thought Obama would win.
Now I am not so sure. There is some issue about Obama having a valid U.S citizenship I have heard, but will wait to see if that is just propoganda or for real. I have heard many Democrats I know (believe me in Minnesota there is no shortage of Democrats) say they are not comfortable with Obama and think he is incompetant. These are people who have voted Democrat for 50 years and are now having a problem with Obama as to his ability. They tell me all his good speeches are written for him and when asked questions directly by voters he is not giving good responses. I am not witness to that myself so I am reserving judgement. I will need to read up more on both of them now, McCain and Obama.

I have voted various ways in my life and my first election I was voting for Kennedy, but I voted against Johnson preferring Goldwater. I know I voted for Jimmy Carter and for Reagan and then later voted for Clinton after George Bush Sr left office. You try to pin me as either Democrat of Republican and you would have a hard time doing it.

I feel that if elected, that McCain is not going to tow the line for the Republicans the way they think he will and will most likely try to go along with a lot of the way Congress will try to help the poor in this country. The last time he tried to be nominated as a candidate, he was turned down as being way too moderate for the party. I think the only reason I may not be able to vote for McCain is that he will bring along too much of Bush's baggage with him and keep most of the Europeans against him. It is too bad that Europe feels so strongly anti-American right now or McCain would be my choice. It is not going to be easy to choose now.

Anyway, it is sure interesting to see how the rest of the world sees us. I presume that if in the future we need help like Europe did 60 years ago, we are going to be shit out of luck as they say.
Ken

Ken
Re: Sarah Palin  [message #53005 is a reply to message #53002] Sun, 07 September 2008 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

electroken wrote:
> Anyway, it is sure interesting to see how the rest of the world sees us. I presume that if in the future we need help like Europe did 60 years ago, we are going to be shit out of luck as they say.

The USA, and to a great extent the UK, because we have followed and encouraged the USA blindly in its external ambitions, will find it very difficult to get aid except at full commercial rates from any nation. We have a better chance than you with China because we ceded Hong King (as our contract insisted) to China with due formality, but we stand very little chance with Russia.

The major issue is the alleged "War against Terror", which is a political issue rather than a reality. This has created a solid "anti" in much of the rest of the world.

The US is not loved by many nations (and the UK takes its share of that lack of love) because of its bombastic holier than thou attitude. But the US is not self sufficient, certainly at current prices. Isolationism, which the US had a-plenty in the early part of the 20th century, will not work without crippling the US poor still further.

The ridiculous thing is that much of the US citizenry sees and understands this as individuals, but that the body politic seems to get carried away with preening, pride and self ambition and aggrandisement.

[Updated on: Sun, 07 September 2008 11:43]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Sarah Palin  [message #53016 is a reply to message #53005] Mon, 08 September 2008 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yusime is currently offline  yusime

Likes it here

When I was in High school I actually tried to tell a few teachers I took classes from that the entire "War on Terror" as it was later called would be a terrible idea but no one believed me. I don't think they would even remember what I said now. I saw the entire war as a problem before it happened but I was told to "support the president" and that I should not say anything that could be seen as a problem to people who supported the war. How the country has changed since I was in 10th and 11th grade.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake since for him a spinal cord would suffice. Albert Einstein
The Religious Right Responds For Pallin  [message #53163 is a reply to message #52890] Sat, 13 September 2008 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CallMePaul is currently offline  CallMePaul

Really getting into it

A man of God?

http://www.atlah.org/broadcast/ndnr09-03-08.html

Youth crisis hot-line 866-488-7386, 24 hr (U.S.A.)
There are people who want to help you cope with being you.
Re: The Religious Right Responds For Pallin  [message #53168 is a reply to message #53163] Sat, 13 September 2008 08:17 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

Ah, the sins of the fathers! Seems Obama's Mama raised a decent kid, trash or not. Palin failed to raise a decent kid. Heigh ho!

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Previous Topic: Trilateralist commission?
Next Topic: Or then perhaps not........
Goto Forum: