A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Castration as a Sentence for minor crime
Castration as a Sentence for minor crime  [message #53494] Tue, 23 September 2008 20:41 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I'm watching a BBC documentary on anger at the moment. One participant stated that, in the 1930s, castration had been used as a punishment for minor crimes such as, he said, shoplifting, and, in some cases, for masturbation.

I was thinking Nazi Germany.

He said it was the USA.

I have headed for Google with no success to find documentation to back up the claim. I can't discount it because the BBC has no reason to be lying over this, but I can't find any citations either.

Anyone better at Googling than I am able to help me?

I'm not looking for "rights and wrongs" though a discussion is obviously fine! I'm just looking for a citation in a reliable source.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Castration as a Sentence for minor crime  [message #53495 is a reply to message #53494] Tue, 23 September 2008 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

Wikipedia - see under "compulsory sterilisation" is a good place to start.

The USA did use castration and female sterilisation on criminals, but mainly on the "eugenically unfit", with the last such abuse occurring in 1981.

It's a horrifying subject, which many are in denial about!

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: Castration as a Sentence for minor crime  [message #53496 is a reply to message #53495] Tue, 23 September 2008 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

There is a somewhat large technical leap between sterilisation and castration, though. The speaker was very specific about it being castration that was performed, which "reduced anger".

It would have increased mine!

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Castration as a Sentence for minor crime  [message #53497 is a reply to message #53496] Tue, 23 September 2008 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

I'm not sure about "reducing anger" in general - it sounds a bit of an urban myth to me. But the castration of male repeat offenders certainly occurred.

"[12] See, e.g., Skinner v. Oklahoma, 316 U.S. 535, 536 (1942) (striking down an Oklahoma statute that authorized the sterilization of recidivist criminals). Although Skinner is often cited as the leading case on sterilization, the Court did not address castration as a constitutionally impermissible, barbarous punishment. Instead, the Court held that the Oklahoma law permitting the sterilization of habitual criminals violated the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. The state law invidiously discriminated against the indigent by exempting defendants who had repeatedly been found guilty of white collar crimes." for example (which is a footnote to http://www.law.fsu.edu/journals/lawreview/frames/252/spalfram.html , which otherwise deals mainly with "chemical castration") makes this very clear.

I haven't - in a quick search, and a run through my bookmarks (this is a subject that repels and fascinates me) - found anything specifically dealing with anger, but it seems that a lot of the discussion about castration (either surgical or chemical) for violent sex offenders has discussed this indirectly (depending on whether rape is seen as sexual, or as primarily anger/revenge violence, for example).

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: Castration as a Sentence for minor crime  [message #53498 is a reply to message #53494] Wed, 24 September 2008 02:33 Go to previous message
unsui is currently offline  unsui

Likes it here

No Message Body

[Updated on: Fri, 24 October 2008 17:33]

Previous Topic: Shame
Next Topic: Gay teen talks about John McCain
Goto Forum: