A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > I had a thought that I shouldve posted earlier
I had a thought that I shouldve posted earlier  [message #54575] Wed, 05 November 2008 11:30 Go to next message
Senne is currently offline  Senne

Likes it here

Win or lose tonight the Republicans will still have one
California Prop 8
the election doesnt matter, if they're able to win this is Cali
It will destroy everything
Re: I had a thought that I shouldve posted earlier  [message #54576 is a reply to message #54575] Wed, 05 November 2008 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fingolfin is currently offline  Fingolfin

Likes it here

I checked the opinions of our politicians, most would vote for McCain, it's a kind of delusion for me, unfortunately. Civil partnership does not exist here (albeit in Czech Rep. it does) due to the fact that the current government consists besides others also of catholic nationalists and the last government catholic bigots... Sad story, indeed...

I can see your upset...

Marek

It is better to switch on a small light than to curse the darkness.
- Vincent Šikula, Slovak writer
Re: I had a thought that I shouldve posted earlier  [message #54582 is a reply to message #54575] Wed, 05 November 2008 19:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CallMePaul is currently offline  CallMePaul

Really getting into it

It was the California Supreme Court that declared the ban against gay marriage as unconstitutional. Writing a new law, without changing the constitution, doesn't seem to me to change anything. I believe there will be a huge legal battle over this issue. However, I think we are missing something here. Almost half of the California voters were against this ban. It was a close call. Do you realize how far we have come in order to have won the hearts and minds of nearly half the populace of that state? We have come a long way but the battle isn't over yet.

Jordan, just continue living life as you have been. Show the people of your town, state and country that you are good, honorable and moral and yet you are a gay person. You will live to see a day of full equality. So will Californians.

Youth crisis hot-line 866-488-7386, 24 hr (U.S.A.)
There are people who want to help you cope with being you.
Re: I had a thought that I shouldve posted earlier  [message #54585 is a reply to message #54582] Thu, 06 November 2008 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
E.J. is currently offline  E.J.

Really getting into it

proposition 8 changes the state constitution, so denying marriage is no longer unconstitutional.

(\\__/) And if you don't believe The sun will rise
(='.'=) Stand alone and greet The coming night
(")_(") In the last remaining light. (C. Cornell)
Re: I had a thought that I shouldve posted earlier  [message #54586 is a reply to message #54585] Thu, 06 November 2008 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

"A major purpose of the Constitution is to protect minorities from majorities. Because changing that principle is a fundamental change to the organizing principles of the Constitution itself, only the Legislature can initiate such revisions to the Constitution," said Elizabeth Gill, a staff attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union of Northern California.

It is a matter of fairness, said Jenny Pizer, a staff attorney with Lambda Legal. "If the voters approved an initiative that took the right to free speech away from women, but not from men, everyone would agree that such a measure conflicts with the basic ideals of equality enshrined in our Constitution. Proposition 8 suffers from the same flaw: It removes a protected constitutional right -- here, the right to marry -- not from all Californians, but just from one group of us," she said.

from chicagotribune.com
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-081105-gay-marriage-ban-california,0,1804310.story

It seems very strange that you can ballot for a law  [message #54587 is a reply to message #54586] Thu, 06 November 2008 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Shall we opt to remove speed limits in a ballot, too?

[Updated on: Thu, 06 November 2008 09:27]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Democracy:  [message #54592 is a reply to message #54587] Thu, 06 November 2008 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

Two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Re: It seems very strange that you can ballot for a law  [message #54602 is a reply to message #54587] Fri, 07 November 2008 18:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JimB is currently offline  JimB

Likes it here

Timmy, the ballot measure was not for a law but to change the State Constitution by putting in a definition for marriage. Hereafter in California marriage will be defined as the union of a man and woman per the State Constitution.

JimB
Re: It seems very strange that you can ballot for a law  [message #54603 is a reply to message #54602] Fri, 07 November 2008 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

A constitution is the yardstick by which all subsequent laws are weighed in the balance. If a law oversteps the bounds imposed by the constitution then the courts can invalidate the law. This has the effect of protecting minorities against overzealous majorities. But, when the constitution itself is amended to allow majority rule, then society is the loser.

A constitution in a free and democratic state is designed to protect an individual's liberty. To amend it so that freedom is lost, then expect a battle royal to re-establish the 'intent' of that constitution.

By the way, no state's constitution, in the U.S., can usurp any freedoms guaranteed by the federal constitution. Thomas Jefferson, in our Declaration of Independence, stated... "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness."

I'd say that the above gives us plenty of ammunition to challenge ANY state's constitutional restrictions against gay marriage.

So there... gall durn it!

Re: It seems very strange that you can ballot for a law  [message #54604 is a reply to message #54603] Fri, 07 November 2008 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

In Australia voting in a referendum to amend the constitution, like all voting is compulsory. I don't support compulsory voting, but I think voting to amend a constitution should be compulsory.

Also in Australia, voting on changing the Federal Constitution requires an absolute majority of the population of Australia to agree to it, in addition to requiring the majority of people in the majority of states. As a result very few changes have ever been made to the Australian constitution.

I don't know how these same principles could be applied to a state constitution. But surely a simple majority of people that can be bothered voting isn't really the most accountable way of doing things. Perhaps the overall majority, as well as the majority in the majority of districts. It'd be like having to win the Electoral College as well as the popular vote...

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Re: I had a thought that I shouldve posted earlier  [message #54654 is a reply to message #54575] Wed, 12 November 2008 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yusime is currently offline  yusime

Likes it here

Let me remind all Americans here about the idea of Federalism different sets of laws designed to regulate either the people of all states or the people of individual states. Federal laws and State laws. Also remember LAWRENCE V. TEXAS is only 5 years old. It took the Supreme Court to decide Lawrence V. Texas which lead to Mass. then to Cali. declaring the laws against gay marriage unconstitutional. If we gain enough Supreme Court Justices at least 7 then they might declare that states cannot discriminate. Our best bet is to prevent the states that do not have Constitutional Amendments to define Marriage from passing such amendments in the first place and not deal with laws until everything else is in place.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake since for him a spinal cord would suffice. Albert Einstein
Watch this: no comment needed.  [message #54684 is a reply to message #54575] Sun, 16 November 2008 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JFR is currently offline  JFR

On fire!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/27652443#27652443

J F R

The paradox has often been noted that the United States, founded in secularism, is now the most religiose country in Christendom, while England, with an established church headed by its constitutional monarch, is among the least. (Richard Dawkins, 2006)
Re: Watch this: no comment needed.  [message #54685 is a reply to message #54684] Sun, 16 November 2008 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Listen to it all. All. A simple voice of common sense.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Watch this: no comment needed.  [message #54689 is a reply to message #54684] Mon, 17 November 2008 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

I just get a black blank screen.

Hugs
N

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: Watch this: no comment needed.  [message #54692 is a reply to message #54689] Mon, 17 November 2008 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Me too, for about 10 seconds. Then it clears, runs a crap advert, followed by the real meat of the thing.

Re: Watch this: no comment needed.  [message #54693 is a reply to message #54692] Mon, 17 November 2008 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

No, not even a crap ad. Perhaps it's and AppleMac thing.

Hugs
N

Re: Watch this: no comment needed.  [message #54694 is a reply to message #54689] Mon, 17 November 2008 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

The full text is here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27650743

Re: Watch this: no comment needed.  [message #54702 is a reply to message #54693] Tue, 18 November 2008 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott is currently offline  Scott

Likes it here

What Mac OS do you run? I have the OS X 10.4.11 and it will run the videos with no problem. I think if you are still running the OS 9, the videos won't run. Also, which internet browser you have with the Mac may affect what will and won't run. I have the proprietary Safari which works fine. My older IE wouldn't run a damn thing. Good luck. We Mac users are in the minority and have to stick together.

Scott

PS. I also have to speak PC at work, which I suppose would make me bi-lingual? ;-D

Cycling is the one sport where a guy can shave his legs, wear spandex and bright colors, and be accepted.
Quality before quantity  [message #54704 is a reply to message #54702] Tue, 18 November 2008 09:00 Go to previous message

On fire!

Hi Scott!

I'm running OSX 10.3.9. I really ought to update to 10.5, but is it worth £85? I use both Safari and Firefox as browsers. If I open IE, it's because I've clicked the wrong icon in the dock.

Thanks for your interest.

Hugs
Nigel

Previous Topic: I OWE MY MOTHER SO MUCH ;-)
Next Topic: Butt-Bitten
Goto Forum: