A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > The nationality spread here
The nationality spread here  [message #54644] Wed, 12 November 2008 17:35 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Not just on the forum, but the site itself. Actually the figures are for the site, not the forum. I don't track the forum visits. Maybe I should.

What amazes me is the very high proportion of non English speakers that we get. Obviously some use translation engines, especially those who manage to get past net censors in the middle east, but there are some surprising results.

I have never yet had an email from a Frenchman, nor do I know of one who has posted here.

We have a load of German visits.

More people from The Phillippines visit than from France.

Sweden is vastly outnumbered by Norway here.

Israel is so small yet has a relatively high visitor population.

Should we draw any sort of conclusions from the chart?
  • Attachment: geography.gif
    (Size: 19.66KB, Downloaded 295 times)

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: The nationality spread here  [message #54647 is a reply to message #54644] Wed, 12 November 2008 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CallMePaul is currently offline  CallMePaul

Really getting into it

Over what period of time did you receive the 42,203 visits?

What accounts for the 10.69% on the pie chart?

And what is a bounce rate?

The average time spent by visitors is just under seven minutes. It would seem that most aren't reading stories but simply perusing the site. Perhaps you could get them to stay longer by validating their parking. ;-D

Youth crisis hot-line 866-488-7386, 24 hr (U.S.A.)
There are people who want to help you cope with being you.
Re: The nationality spread here  [message #54650 is a reply to message #54647] Wed, 12 November 2008 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Paul Schroder wrote:
> Over what period of time did you receive the 42,203 visits?

This sample was 12 October to 11 November. "Visits" are defined by Google to the best of its knowledge as indicating the number of unique sessions initiated by your visitors. I suspect that is "browser sessions". Open a second window or tab and you open a new session. Probably. It alleges "Absolute Unique Visitors to be just under 20,000 in the same period. Neither figure is entirely accurate.
>
> What accounts for the 10.69% on the pie chart?

The total value of "not separately quantified"
>
> And what is a bounce rate?

Bounces are those who arrive, immediately dislike what they see, and go almost immediately. That immediacy is included in the average time on site. A huge number of people leave a site like this in no time flat. Search engines deliver them and they suddenly discover the site is absolutely not what they wanted at all. "It's QUEER!"

80% leave in under 180 seconds. But that IS 3 minutes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounce_rate may help.
>
> The average time spent by visitors is just under seven minutes. It would seem that most aren't reading stories but simply perusing the site. Perhaps you could get them to stay longer by validating their parking. ;-D

Most would never read a story if you paid them. They are here by accident, and they are running away as fast as they can go. That is absolutely fine, though. We're a gay web site with stuff about penises on it. And sometimes they get inserted into anuses.

Hearteningly,though, 49% view more than one page. 2.6% have viewed over 20 pages.

[Updated on: Wed, 12 November 2008 20:58]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: The nationality spread here  [message #54653 is a reply to message #54647] Wed, 12 November 2008 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

There may be more people like me that do not read stories directly off the site, but copy and paste them into a separate document. That can be done relatively quickly.

Hugs
N

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: The nationality spread here  [message #54656 is a reply to message #54653] Wed, 12 November 2008 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

relatively, yes. Why do oyu do that? I'm intrigued.

Re: The nationality spread here  [message #54657 is a reply to message #54656] Wed, 12 November 2008 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paulj is currently offline  paulj

Likes it here

I do that too, not often with this site but nearly always with nifty or anywhere else that uses odd colours as I hate both .rtf and odd colour text on colour backgrounds. Thats enough to get me navigating away ... so I paste into word and set a font and size that suits my vision... and if I like it i'll keep it!!

Paul
Re: The nationality spread here  [message #54659 is a reply to message #54657] Wed, 12 November 2008 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Lol... when I post to Nifty I use a muted color background. White is just too glaring for me. Also, I post in size 16 font so I can type and read without my glasses on. But I do the same thing these guys do whenever I read something on a story site. I don't like to read small fonts and so I cut and paste into a document and then enlarge the font.

Odd backgrounds, and bright white!  [message #54661 is a reply to message #54657] Wed, 12 November 2008 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

That's why we use "off white" as the background to the main site. I just hold ctrl and use the mouse wheel to adjust font size if I don't like what I see.

Re: The nationality spread here  [message #54662 is a reply to message #54644] Thu, 13 November 2008 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

If those aren't unique visitors the statistics may make a little more sense.

I usually browse off the front page onto the forums quite quickly. Then once on the forums if there's nothing new it's closed. Probably 1 minute for the entire process. If there are new posts I obviously take longer...

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Copy & Paste  [message #54663 is a reply to message #54653] Thu, 13 November 2008 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JFR is currently offline  JFR

On fire!

I find it very difficult to read long pieces off the computer screen. Recently I bought myself a Sony PRS-505. Yesterday someone recommended to me a particular story from the Story Shelf so I copied the whole thing (Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C) and pasted it into "Word" (Ctrl-V). After saving the file I dragged it into my PRS-505 library and then transferred it into the PRS-505 itself. I read the story through in a very short while. I was able to enlarge the font and the presentation really looked like a printed book: black ink on white paper. Best of all, I could take it with me to read where ever I want to - waiting for an appointment, on the train, in the bus. And, yes, I can take it to read in bed. (I can also store in in pictures and mp3's.)

Sorry if this sounds like an advertisement, but I really do love taking around with me something that is no bigger than a slim book but which contains hundreds of books that I want to read.

J F R

The paradox has often been noted that the United States, founded in secularism, is now the most religiose country in Christendom, while England, with an established church headed by its constitutional monarch, is among the least. (Richard Dawkins, 2006)
Re: The nationality spread here  [message #54666 is a reply to message #54656] Thu, 13 November 2008 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

I can up or downsize the size of the font and split the page into two columns, which makes it easier for me to read. Also it's always there despite the vagaries of the net.

Hugs
N

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: The nationality spread here  [message #54668 is a reply to message #54657] Thu, 13 November 2008 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acam is currently offline  acam

On fire!

What do you mean, Paul, that you hate .rtf?

I use .rtf as my standard file type for word processing and as far as I know it doesn't imply any particular text or background colour or font or size or anything at all.

Love,
Anthony
Re: The nationality spread here  [message #54669 is a reply to message #54659] Thu, 13 November 2008 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

When I read stuff on the web and the font is too small I just press ctrl & +.
That enlarges the font and ctrl & - reduces it again.

Love
Anthony
Re: The nationality spread here  [message #54670 is a reply to message #54669] Thu, 13 November 2008 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

A web guru I am not. You just taught me something... thanks.

:-*

Re: The nationality spread here  [message #54673 is a reply to message #54668] Fri, 14 November 2008 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paulj is currently offline  paulj

Likes it here

Well... what I mean is Rtf as it so often appears on Nifty archive stories for me is hard going to read. So I usually copy/paste into Word and change font to trebuchet MS 14 pt and I then can be comfortable... Just me and lousy eyesight. I have early-onset cataract in left eye so find long periods on computer a strain.
Paul
rtf and nifty  [message #54675 is a reply to message #54673] Fri, 14 November 2008 17:40 Go to previous message

On fire!

Me too, Paul, I mean cataracts. My optician tells me I'm going to have to have both eyes done if I want to go on driving.

But the story layout you dislike is nothing to do with .rtf; I'll send you an example of what can be done to your email address.

Love,
Anthony

[Updated on: Fri, 14 November 2008 17:41]

Previous Topic: Virtually ridiculous
Next Topic: Gay Football???
Goto Forum: