A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Betty Bowers on "traditional" marriage
Betty Bowers on "traditional" marriage  [message #57325] Mon, 15 June 2009 00:57 Go to next message
E.J. is currently offline  E.J.

Really getting into it

From America's "best" Christian
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFkeKKszXTw

(\\__/) And if you don't believe The sun will rise
(='.'=) Stand alone and greet The coming night
(")_(") In the last remaining light. (C. Cornell)
Re: Betty Bowers on "traditional" marriage  [message #57326 is a reply to message #57325] Mon, 15 June 2009 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I love Betty! Of course the evangelical christians will have an argument for all this!

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Betty Bowers on "traditional" marriage  [message #57328 is a reply to message #57325] Mon, 15 June 2009 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JimB is currently offline  JimB

Likes it here

I've never paid much attention to the folk lore of Adam and Eve, but does it really say that they had only two sons? Is all of humanity based upon incest? How have we missed this important part all of these years?

JimB
Re: Betty Bowers on "traditional" marriage  [message #57329 is a reply to message #57328] Mon, 15 June 2009 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Regardless of Adam and Eve, please do not forget that all humankind was wiped out except the Noah family, and recreated from that rather shallow gene pool as well.

It is carefully ignored in classes on the topic.

A boy was chatting with his sister. "You're a better lover than Father," she said.

"That's what Mother says, too," he replied.

Humorous as this is, we do need to use humour with care in topics of religion. The subject has a huge capacity to offend. Odd, then, how no-one minds offending we homosexuals in the name of religion! I love irony.

[Updated on: Mon, 15 June 2009 14:33]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Betty Bowers on "traditional" marriage  [message #57330 is a reply to message #57328] Mon, 15 June 2009 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roger is currently offline  Roger

Really getting into it

Jim....When Cain was driven out of the garden of Eden, he went into the land of Nod and took a wife from amoung the people who dwelt there. There were other humans around but none that had been recreated by God. I know this is getting confusing. There were two creations of man, one to tile the ground and the other in the image of God. So the sons of Adam had plenty of women to chose from.

If you stand for Freedom, but you wont stand for war, then you dont stand for anything worth fighting for.
Re: Betty Bowers on "traditional" marriage  [message #57331 is a reply to message #57330] Mon, 15 June 2009 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Been wondering where you were!

So humans existed that this supreme being hadn't created, eh? Makes you wonder if there were a load of competing supreme beings Smile

Re: Betty Bowers on "traditional" marriage  [message #57345 is a reply to message #57330] Tue, 16 June 2009 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnleeb is currently offline  johnleeb

Toe is in the water

And thus their bible proves that the Christians (and all other people) of today are at most 50% in the image of God. Does that explain why the other 50% is so non-Christ like?
Re: Betty Bowers on "traditional" marriage  [message #57350 is a reply to message #57330] Tue, 16 June 2009 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arich is currently offline  arich

Really getting into it

Hmmmm Not so sure about that Roger.

People will tell you where they've gone
They'll tell you where to go
But till you get there yourself you never really know
Where some have found their paradise
Other's just come to harm
Re: Betty Bowers on "traditional" marriage  [message #57351 is a reply to message #57350] Tue, 16 June 2009 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roger is currently offline  Roger

Really getting into it

Having taught theology for 40 years, I have discovered that most people are caught up in the dogma and tradition of the church. Try reading the bible from a direct translation from the Hebrew to English, and better yet from the Greek to English.

If you stand for Freedom, but you wont stand for war, then you dont stand for anything worth fighting for.
Re: Betty Bowers on "traditional" marriage  [message #57353 is a reply to message #57351] Tue, 16 June 2009 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

I to have been using interlinear translations for not quite 40 year but then I’m only 55, you must be a great deal older than your picture makes you appear, even though from your youth it appears to have been taken maybe in the 70’s.

My problem is what you state seem to be from the point of view of the dogmatic religionist rather than the contrary.

Many theologians I know believe that all was a Creation of G-d, after all where would things come from other wise. Or are you referring to the supposed Lucifarian creation scenario?

To my knowledge there are not a few that think Adams creation was a special creation, if you will within the ongoing creation. If not why the Fossil record, there are other mysteries I believe, such as was Lilith in actuality Adams first wife? And so much more, I’m not saying I have all the answers, but more does anyone.

Something I am finding interesting these days are the variants of the “Anthropic Principle.” A whole nother topic.
Razz

Re: Betty Bowers on "traditional" marriage  [message #57355 is a reply to message #57351] Tue, 16 June 2009 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CallMePaul is currently offline  CallMePaul

Really getting into it

I'll defer to Roger's expertise, his having taught theology for forty years. But even some Greek portions of the bible have their roots in Aramaic.

Unfortunately none of the original writings exist that are a part of todays bibles. What we read today are translations of translations of copies of translations which are copies of copies.

What it boils down to, for me, is my inability to see the bible as the true and unerring word of God as most Christian denominations claim. I have to view it as a simple guide for the way I relate to my creator and my fellow human beings. I'll let others argue as to how many times the word 'abomination' is correctly or incorrectly translated. I simply accept the overall 'theme' of the New Testament - love, acceptance, forgiveness, humility, and charity. To delve deeper seems to be simply chasing shadows.

Youth crisis hot-line 866-488-7386, 24 hr (U.S.A.)
There are people who want to help you cope with being you.
Re: Betty Bowers on "traditional" marriage  [message #57356 is a reply to message #57325] Tue, 16 June 2009 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Ah well, I would think that if one professes to belief in G-d one would defer to G-d. But then I see that as an anomaly of these times, most seek the revelation of other men rather than G-d among “believers.”

To just leave it alone is up to the seeker, is it not, or do you support this course of action to everyone? Certainly too each their own!

That’s why I would rather discus possibilities rather than make statements of supposed fact. Religionists have been doing that for centuries!

I would say if it weren’t for those seeking, that we would still be living in a world of total abomination and damnation rather than those of us who now find acceptance and total love from our G-d!

Re: Betty Bowers on "traditional" marriage  [message #57359 is a reply to message #57355] Tue, 16 June 2009 19:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

The infallibity of the Bible was severely undermined by the discovery of the Dead Sea scrolls which meant for me that the Bible was put together by men who were protecting their own interests.

I don't view Dan Brown's novel 'The da Vinci Code' as anything but a work of fiction. It has to be viewed as such otherwise it falls apart, but it does show how easy it is to undermine the Bible.

I would be more convinced that the New Testament is the Word of God if its origins hadn't been so many years after the events it portrays.

Hugs
N

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: Betty Bowers on "traditional" marriage  [message #57376 is a reply to message #57359] Wed, 17 June 2009 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JimB is currently offline  JimB

Likes it here

The Bible has many good ideas for doing the right thing and being a good person. But the Bible itself refutes its infallibility and we have only the claims of the authors that it is the word of God. It is a book written by men, for men to perpetuate their power and control over men.

JimB
Re: Betty Bowers on "traditional" marriage  [message #57378 is a reply to message #57376] Wed, 17 June 2009 07:20 Go to previous message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

JimB, I hope I didn't give the impression that I believe the Bible to be infallible. I'm in agreement with your post.

Hugs
Nigel

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Previous Topic: I play a game...
Next Topic: Told you so…
Goto Forum: