A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Brighton Pride 2009
Brighton Pride 2009  [message #57780] Sun, 12 July 2009 16:59 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

On Saturday 1st August http://www.brightonpride.org/festival-parade.php Brighton has its Gay Pride carnival parade.

I am wholly unsure of the etiquette of "just turning up and joining in", but I have decided that I want to. While it might be a giggle to have a banner with the two kids on the green and blue background and the website url, I'm just going as me.

This post is in case anyone wants to join me.

My wife may also want to come, which I view as a good thing. She'll decide at the last minute because she'll only just be back fomr a girls' holiday the previous day. I imagine wives of we gay married men are welcome.

Logistics of getting there by car may be ridiculous. It may be a case of finding a station and taking the train, or, I usually park elsewhere and take the bus. Brighton has excellent buses.

I'm a total virgin in this sort of thing. I know the march is anonymous, but it feels as if I'm putting my head above the parapet in a big way. I already feel emotional typing this.

So how shall we organise this, those who would like to join in? Posting here will work for everything except personal details. Obviously mobile phone numbers for meeting up will be useful, but not in open forum. My email address is next to this message. If you email me (and maybe post here to encourage others) then I'll put together a distribution list of "just us" that deals with it.

We need to know where we will meet, and stuff like that. Smile

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Brighton Pride 2009  [message #57781 is a reply to message #57780] Sun, 12 July 2009 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

Yup, count me in for it.

You've probably got my contact details anyway, but I'll re-send them by e-mail.

It should be a fun day: I've never done a Brighton Pride (and they are legendary) so I'll look forward to it.

Anyone else?

NW

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: Brighton Pride 2009  [message #57782 is a reply to message #57780] Sun, 12 July 2009 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I've put a query in to the organisers about whether "ordinary mortals" can simply join the parade. I'm sure we can, but it will do no harm to know formally.

I can't see how they can stop folk joining at the back anyway!

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Brighton Pride 2009  [message #57783 is a reply to message #57780] Mon, 13 July 2009 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M is currently offline  M

Likes it here

There is no reason why you can't join the parade. At least i don't think so.

My advice is to find an organization (one that interest you) that is participating and walk along side them, who knows maybe you make new friends. I participated with an organization called "Youth Pride" and i enjoyed it.
Most organizations will take anybody willing to march in the parade, meaning your wife and/or kids would be able to participate also.

Getting there...taking a train is the best option. Events like pride attract a lot of people, which equals a nightmare trying to find parking.

Going with friends is the best thing to do. I'm sure you will have fun.

You don't love someone because they are beautiful, they are beautiful because you love them.
And the answer is.....  [message #57784 is a reply to message #57782] Mon, 13 July 2009 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Yes it is [possible just to join the parade]! You can watch the parade and join in at the end, and follow to the Park."

Sounds good to me. The best of all worlds. My plan is to watch at the start, and join the parade and walk.

I'm aware that not everyone is necessarily able to walk the entire distance, or will wish to, so all we'll need is a meeting point at the end for when we get separated.

Has anyone noticed this?  [message #57785 is a reply to message #57780] Mon, 13 July 2009 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Macky is currently offline  Macky

Really getting into it

I have been noticed the pride flag in a couple of places this year, for the first time. One was about a foot long and flew from the porch post of a private residence. Yesterday I was surprised to see a 2'one planted on one of those wire frames to keep it open, and it was in the yard in front of the State Police Barracks, of all places. I wonder if a statie placed it there or someone else. I guess I'll know when I go back by there and see if it is still on display. Anyway I know there is at least one gay state cop in Pennsylvania, because she introduced her partner to me once.

Behold, how good and how pleasant it is
For brothers to dwell together in unity!
Ps 133:1 NASB
Re: Has anyone noticed this?  [message #57786 is a reply to message #57785] Mon, 13 July 2009 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I thought I saw a whole host in Italy a year or two back, but they seemed to be rainbow flags for some peace movement or other instead.

I don;pt think I'm quite ready to put one outside my home yet Smile

Re: Has anyone noticed this?  [message #57787 is a reply to message #57786] Mon, 13 July 2009 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Macky is currently offline  Macky

Really getting into it

Yeah. Maybe I need some education here. I think there is another rainbow symbol that is used for the Roman Catholic Cursillo movement. Does anyone know how to destinguish all these similar symbols at a glance? The flags I saw were red and orange at the top and had a purple stripe somewhere and lots of other colors.

I wouldn't want to fly the flag at my house either. Not fair for others in the household. Also I would be surprised if it wouldn't cause trouble. Don't know if the folks who have it up are brave or foolish. But its been there for better than a week and the house is still standing. Perhaps people think it is one of those peace flags.

Behold, how good and how pleasant it is
For brothers to dwell together in unity!
Ps 133:1 NASB
Re: Has anyone noticed this?  [message #57788 is a reply to message #57787] Mon, 13 July 2009 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

As far as I know the gay pride flag has a rainbow of six colours, not the expected seven. But I haven't checked and am probably now making a total arse of myself.

Re: Has anyone noticed this?  [message #57791 is a reply to message #57788] Mon, 13 July 2009 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

Timmy wrote:
>…am probably now making a total arse of myself.<

But Timmy all along you've been telling us you're a bottom!

Hugs
N

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: Has anyone noticed this?  [message #57792 is a reply to message #57791] Mon, 13 July 2009 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

But I need someone else to make an arse of me for that!

Re: Brighton Pride 2009  [message #57793 is a reply to message #57780] Mon, 13 July 2009 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I'm pretty sure Deej is coming, too. Unless he gets a better offer, of course Wink

Any more takers?  [message #57806 is a reply to message #57780] Wed, 15 July 2009 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

So, how are we doing? Any more takers, or will it just be the three of us?

Meeting Point  [message #58128 is a reply to message #57780] Thu, 30 July 2009 13:43 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

We will be meeting at the entrance to the surviving pier on the pier side of the road, as near the road as possible, at the western side. I expect to arrive at 10:30 or so. The pavements will be crowded. The plan is to watch the parade pass and then join onto its back and walk the route as a small and yet important part - the ordinary gay man.

Local advice says that mobile phone signals will be POOR because of the crowds.

Previous Topic: Homophobic homos...
Next Topic: Sorta touching
Goto Forum: