A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > "That's so gay"
"That's so gay"  [message #58463] Sun, 23 August 2009 13:28 Go to next message
Macky is currently offline  Macky

Really getting into it

Evidently American English moves on. The subject phrase seems to be in common use among America's young to denote "stupid" or "strange". Twice now I've seen/heard commercial messages on TV and radio which seek to arrest the development of this usage. The commercials direct the audience to
http://www.thinkb4youspeak.com/

Behold, how good and how pleasant it is
For brothers to dwell together in unity!
Ps 133:1 NASB
Re: "That's so gay"  [message #58473 is a reply to message #58463] Mon, 24 August 2009 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Rather annoyingly folk use it in front of me, knowing that I'm gay. I have chosen to ignore it

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: "That's so gay"  [message #58506 is a reply to message #58473] Sat, 29 August 2009 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ray2x is currently offline  ray2x

Really getting into it

Gay?
In an article about the NFL and personalized jerseys, a woman was denied the name GAY on her jersey, which happens to be the last name of three NFL players. It was thought by the company which does the embroidery that she was promoting a gay agenda (??). The NFL reversed the decision and allowed the jersey to have the name GAY.
Funny? Sad? Intriguing?

Raymundo
Re: "That's so gay"  [message #58514 is a reply to message #58463] Sun, 30 August 2009 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deeej is currently offline  Deeej

Needs to get a life!

It's been going on for well over a decade -- people said things were 'gay' all the time when I was at school in the UK. Oddly enough, I'm pretty sure that several of the people who said it are now (and presumably were then) at least bisexual. I don't think there's a link with homosexuality in the minds of many who use it, but the link is there for lots of others, which makes it insensitive at best; once people have the maturity to appreciate that others may not view it the same way they do, they should stop using it.

Incidentally, the BBC believes that it's okay to use 'gay' to mean 'rubbish' on air:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2006/jun/07/bbc.gayrights

David
Re: "That's so gay"  [message #58519 is a reply to message #58514] Sun, 30 August 2009 20:28 Go to previous message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

It is interesting that people did not object when the meaning of the word 'gay' was extended from meaning blithe, but now that the meaning is being extended from 'homosexual' to 'rubbish' they are complaining.

Now that I come to think of it retired colonels in Cheltenham and members of the MCC did object to 'gay' attracting the meaning homosexual.

Hugs
N

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Previous Topic: About time too!!
Next Topic: Blog with links to coming of age movies
Goto Forum: