A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > I saw a film today
I saw a film today  [message #58651] Fri, 11 September 2009 21:22 Go to next message
Macky is currently offline  Macky

Really getting into it

"Special Friendships"

It reminded me of the "adoring" relationships that older boys at a boarding school had for younger ones, that Timmy mentioned in one of his posts. The older boy talked freely, with his same age classmate, about his love for the younger boy. Only this one was at a French Catholic run boarding school. The movie is in French with English subtitles. The priests have a regular gestapo network watching the boys in order to to nip "special friendships" in the bud. Interestingly, this 1964 black and white movie also alludes to abuse by priests. If they knew about it in 1964, why did it take so long to fix it? Anyway the movie made me consider another type of abuse by priests...even well intentioned ones seemed to do wrong in taking all too harsh action in order to keep their charges "pure". The photography is not the best and sometimes the subtitles are white on white and hard to read. The younger boy, although very cute, tends to overact in most scenes. Other than that the acting is pretty good. Not the best film I have ever seen, but not the worst. I'd give it 3 stars and recommend it for brushing up on your French. It's on you tube. Here's the link to the first part;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4a0T5DDvYk&feature=related

Behold, how good and how pleasant it is
For brothers to dwell together in unity!
Ps 133:1 NASB
Re: I saw a film today  [message #58652 is a reply to message #58651] Fri, 11 September 2009 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

I read the book and found it so negative. However, it did provide inspiration for one of my own stories where I tried to make the negative atomosphere of Roger Peyrefitte's story positive.

Hugs
N

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: I saw a film today  [message #58662 is a reply to message #58651] Sat, 12 September 2009 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Such a sad movie... But well done.

Why has the Roman Catholic Church not rooted out the abusers? Because they have not and will not.

There is a huge and continuing scandal in Ireland about the many decades of abuse, both sexual and physical, of boys and girls by nuns and priests. There is a special compensation fund.

See the black cloaked bastards and fear them. They are not good people. The wear the cloak of abuse.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: I saw a film today  [message #58666 is a reply to message #58662] Sat, 12 September 2009 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Macky is currently offline  Macky

Really getting into it

I think that sometimes they try to do right, but they mess things up in the effort. That's the case I see in this movie where the old priest tries to instill his quirky values into the youngsters. The results of his interference are much worse that the results of the priest who actually had sexual relations with the boys and was kicked out. But hopefully the old priest will have learned his lesson and reconsidered his values, and maybe determine for himself that everything he has been taught might be a bit fucked up.

Behold, how good and how pleasant it is
For brothers to dwell together in unity!
Ps 133:1 NASB
Re: I saw a film today  [message #58667 is a reply to message #58651] Sat, 12 September 2009 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JimB is currently offline  JimB

Likes it here

Macky wrote:
> If they knew about it in 1964, why did it take so long to fix it?

The church took so long to fix the problem, if indeed they have, for two primary reasons: firstly, to fix it they had to acknowledge that the problem existed and they much preferred to ignore it in hopes it would just go away. The problem as they saw it was publicity and it could disappear in two ways, if the offending clerics were moved to quieter places and if those crying foul were quieted, usually with money.

The second primary reason was that they didn't view priests having sexual relations with boys as a problem. This is something that had been going on for hundreds of years and the real problem, in their eyes, was the recent publicity about this ancient practice. The “good ole boy” network was more interested in maintaining the status quo and quieting the disturbing publicity. Thus, they employed the methods mentioned above to deal with the problem of the publicity.

It is important to acknowledge that not all priests are child molesters and that not all priests agreed with the church's policies in regards to this, but dissent was stifled.

JimB
Re: I saw a film today  [message #58671 is a reply to message #58666] Sat, 12 September 2009 19:47 Go to previous message
acam is currently offline  acam

On fire!

I haven't seen the film, Macky, nor read the book and I don't think I will. I think the church and its followers are profoundly wrong to teach that having faith is good. It appears to me that 'faith' is a willingness to believe the false or impossible and that is neither common sense nor wise.

So my view is that what religion teaches is unwisdom.

So the people who do that are the opposite of good, which is bad. Some of them are kind people and I think that to pervert kind people to think like that is worse than bad. So the previous generations of priests have visited the sins of the fathers on the sons so to speak.

Love,
Anthony
Previous Topic: Republican Party's True Colours?
Next Topic: Question
Goto Forum: