A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > World AIDS Day - 1 December 2009
World AIDS Day - 1 December 2009  [message #58678] Sun, 13 September 2009 17:16 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

This is not a homosexual issue. What will you be doing for 1 December 2009? How will you pass the message to your friends, gay and str8 alike?

A simple answer like "I will wear the red ribbon" is a valid answer.

Please see http://www.avert.org/world-aids-day.htm for more information. And also ask NW. He's got a wealth of information about this.

Pass the message on widely. I am at http://timtrent.blogspot.com/2009/09/world-aids-day-1st-december-2009.html and via Twitter and Facebook. Please doo your bit to make your friends, your kids, your grandkids aware.

HIV and AIDS affect the globe, we are not isolated, none of us is truly safe unless we know how to act.

[Updated on: Sun, 13 September 2009 20:25]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: World AIDS Day - 1 SDecember 2009  [message #58679 is a reply to message #58678] Sun, 13 September 2009 19:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

As usual, I'll be wearing a red ribbon, and passing them out among friends, acquaintances, colleagues and others.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to find the time this year to help out at the National Aids Trust making up the packs of red ribbons etc to send out (they run various evenings for volunteers to do this) - but it rather depends on how mobile I am in November (prolonged bad weather plays hob with my ability to walk).

And time for another mention, I think, of "Fight AIDS at Home". This is a grid computing project, which can run as a screen-saver or in the background on your computer, using cycles when your pc would otherwise be idle. It runs complex mathematical models, identifying which of the innumerable chemical compounds might be worth more detailed investigation.

Find out more about the project at
http://fightaidsathome.scripps.edu,
and on all the projects that World Community Grid are running on
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/projects_showcase/viewResearch.do

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: World AIDS Day - 1 December 2009  [message #58687 is a reply to message #58678] Mon, 14 September 2009 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Macky is currently offline  Macky

Really getting into it

I figured this was the place for this piece of news, as the child has HIV. What a shame the Ukrainian adoption rules weren't updated.

http://www.popeater.com/2009/09/14/elton-john-prohibited-from-adopting-orphan/

Behold, how good and how pleasant it is
For brothers to dwell together in unity!
Ps 133:1 NASB
Reg Dwight and adoption  [message #58691 is a reply to message #58687] Mon, 14 September 2009 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I think the more relevant aspect is that the guy is 62. That does seem rather older than is optimal for a new dad.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: World AIDS Day - 1 December 2009  [message #58692 is a reply to message #58678] Mon, 14 September 2009 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I should have said what I will be doing. I will wear the red ribbon. I am also making readers of my blog aware of the date. I can cause discussions to happen.

Re: Reg Dwight and adoption  [message #58697 is a reply to message #58691] Mon, 14 September 2009 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Macky is currently offline  Macky

Really getting into it

Oh, I dunno that age should be much of a factor. The father of Albert von Thurn und Taxis was well into his 90s when his son was born. He was a great daddy too, leaving his young son several billions of dollars. It would be nice if old Elton had a young heir to leave his bucks to. Maybe the kid could pay the favor forward and rescue lots of other orphaned aids kids.

Behold, how good and how pleasant it is
For brothers to dwell together in unity!
Ps 133:1 NASB
Re: World AIDS Day - 1 December 2009  [message #58698 is a reply to message #58678] Tue, 15 September 2009 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

I don't know that I'll do anything. I don't know much about AIDS or how it ranks when compared to other charitable causes.

I know AIDS in western nations is mostly controlled and contained by medication. Cancer seems a more pressing issue.

AIDS in under-developed nations seemed to be a matter of poverty more than anything. So I'd be more inclined to support causes working towards alleviation of poverty through promoting free markets than I would to band-aid fixes that are issue specific.

But that's based on my understanding of AIDS. Perhaps World AIDS day will show me why AIDS deserves more of my attention than other charitable causes.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Re: World AIDS Day - 1 December 2009  [message #58703 is a reply to message #58698] Tue, 15 September 2009 07:15 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

No-one said anything about charity. I just asked what people will DO.

Previous Topic: Why do they pry? This has to make life hard enough.
Next Topic: Riceboy Sleeps revisits «You Are Not Alone»
Goto Forum: