A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > US - Conservative religious states have more pregnacies
US - Conservative religious states have more pregnacies  [message #58742] Thu, 17 September 2009 16:04 Go to next message
johnleeb is currently offline  johnleeb

Toe is in the water

Check out:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32884806/ns/health-kids_and_parenting
Re: US - Conservative religious states have more pregnacies  [message #58748 is a reply to message #58742] Thu, 17 September 2009 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Ah, the true power of abstinence!

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: US - Conservative religious states have more pregnacies  [message #58750 is a reply to message #58742] Fri, 18 September 2009 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yusime is currently offline  yusime

Likes it here

While true here is a list of the top 10 states when it comes down to teen abortion rates. Just to give perspective to the issue.
http://womensissues.about.com/od/datingandsex/a/TeenAbortRates.htm

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake since for him a spinal cord would suffice. Albert Einstein
Re: US - Conservative religious states have more pregnacies  [message #58753 is a reply to message #58750] Fri, 18 September 2009 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ray2x is currently offline  ray2x

Really getting into it

No sex education. I've probably taught more sex ed hours than some states combined. And (an educated guess) these states may also have high illiteracy rates among high school and young adults.

Raymundo
Re: US - Conservative religious states have more pregnacies  [message #58760 is a reply to message #58750] Fri, 18 September 2009 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acam is currently offline  acam

On fire!

Well, Pat, I suppose I will be the only one here that welcomes them (the abortions).

As I see it every one of those abortions meant that an unwanted child was not brought into the world to be neglected by a parent or parents that were not equipped to bring it up well - or worse to be abused.

What I don't understand is how anyone can regret that. Such abortions do a whole lot of good to the (non-)parents, & their parents and avoid a whole lot of harm, mainly to the avoided child.

And those people who try to persuade people in situations where they cannot adequately care for a child to go on and produce one seem to me to bring avoidable misery into the world. How can anyone approve of bringing avoidable misery into the world?

Surely one of the most demanding and valuable things one can do is to bring up children well which includes teaching them how to avoid creating unwanted children. Agreed they ought not to get each other pregnant, but if they do then abortion is a lesser evil than what happens to unwanted children.

Love,
Anthony

Oh! By the way, just say no!
Educational achievement by state  [message #58764 is a reply to message #58742] Fri, 18 September 2009 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yusime is currently offline  yusime

Likes it here

http://www.uschamber.com/icw/reportcard/default

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake since for him a spinal cord would suffice. Albert Einstein
Re: US - Conservative religious states have more pregnacies  [message #58771 is a reply to message #58760] Fri, 18 September 2009 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JimB is currently offline  JimB

Likes it here

No Anthony, you do not stand alone on this. I agree with you that most abortions represent an unwanted child and that most unwanted children suffer abuse or neglect to some degree. As you said an unwanted child born to a teenager often results in "a whole lot of harm" for the teenager(s) involved, their parents and the resulting child.

The argument of pro-life supporters that adoption is preferable to abortion is bogus as witnessed by the thousands of children that never get adopted; and hypocritical as witnessed by the fact that very few of these people touting adoption never adopt a child themselves.

JimB
Re: US - Conservative religious states have more pregnancies  [message #58775 is a reply to message #58771] Fri, 18 September 2009 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

I'm only contributing to this thread so that I can correct the typo in the heading.

Hugs
N

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: US - Conservative religious states have more pregnancies  [message #58777 is a reply to message #58775] Fri, 18 September 2009 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Macky is currently offline  Macky

Really getting into it

Thank God!!! I don't know how much longer I could have stood that typo. Can Timmy make the post originator write the post title (as corrected) one hundred times?

Behold, how good and how pleasant it is
For brothers to dwell together in unity!
Ps 133:1 NASB
Re: US - Conservative religious states have more pregnacies  [message #58783 is a reply to message #58742] Sat, 19 September 2009 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arich is currently offline  arich

Really getting into it

Not only that but proportionately the rate of divorce among “evangelicals” is higher that Europeans who do not believe.

http://www.alternet.org/belief/142626/evangelicals_divorce_more_often_than_%22godless%22_europeans_exploring_america%27s_strange_relationship_with_marriage

I have add that as a believer in the Abrahamic God that I believe no one is perfect!

People will tell you where they've gone
They'll tell you where to go
But till you get there yourself you never really know
Where some have found their paradise
Other's just come to harm
Re: US - Conservative religious states have more pregnacies  [message #58793 is a reply to message #58783] Sat, 19 September 2009 19:03 Go to previous message
acam is currently offline  acam

On fire!

Once upon a time, arich, my daughters bought me two enamelled plaques. One said "I am nobody". The other said "Nobody is perfect".

Of course I eagerly displayed them both, but in the right order!

Love,
Anthony
Previous Topic: Brody's Scribbles... Jumping into the pool here et cetera
Next Topic: Went to protest at city hall today....
Goto Forum: