A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Haven't we seen this sort of thing before somewhere?
Haven't we seen this sort of thing before somewhere?  [message #58795] Sat, 19 September 2009 21:19 Go to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

http://www.alternet.org/world/142478/israeli_government_ads_warn_against_marrying_non-jews_

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: Haven't we seen this sort of thing before somewhere?  [message #58796 is a reply to message #58795] Sat, 19 September 2009 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

This seems bordering on the offensive. If one immigrates one is expected to assimilate into one's new nation. While that does not necessarily marriage out of one's race, it seems odd to advertise against that concept. Assimilation and integration seem to me to be key to successful immigration.

That the advert is Jewish is neither here nor there, of course. It is just that the advert happens to be.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Haven't we seen this sort of thing before somewhere?  [message #58797 is a reply to message #58795] Sat, 19 September 2009 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aqualino is currently offline  aqualino

Likes it here

Nigel, I do recall seeing old black & white news reels in my World History class that were titled "Racial Purity Laws", although I am not totally sure because it was writen and narrated in German.

aqua

There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love. Washington Irving
Re: Haven't we seen this sort of thing before somewhere?  [message #58801 is a reply to message #58797] Sun, 20 September 2009 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Aqua, you got it in one. Now for the ironic and hypocritical part. Who were the victims of those laws in Germany?

Hugs
N

Re: Haven't we seen this sort of thing before somewhere?  [message #58804 is a reply to message #58795] Sun, 20 September 2009 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acam is currently offline  acam

On fire!

Dear Nigel, I think it ought to be played back to them substituting aryan for jewish and israeli.

Love,
Anthony
inescapable irony  [message #58807 is a reply to message #58795] Sun, 20 September 2009 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

The irony is inescapable. We do need to exercise restraint, as we have, in anything other than pointing out the irony. It would be deeply disappointing if this became in any way pointed.

After all, the UK has Gordon Brown! The USA is just recovering from Shrub. All nations have their faults. But it does no harm to mention them Smile

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: inescapable irony  [message #58810 is a reply to message #58807] Sun, 20 September 2009 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aqualino is currently offline  aqualino

Likes it here

I agree whole heartedly. I do remember reading an article about the population demographics of Israel and the stated fact that soon there will be more Palestinians than Jews living there. Perhaps that was the basic reasoning of the people responsible for the article.

aqua

There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love. Washington Irving
Re: inescapable irony  [message #58813 is a reply to message #58810] Sun, 20 September 2009 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

The same will eventually apply to Northern Ireland. Demographics will win as the nationalists will outnumber the loyalists.

Hugs
N

icon8.gif Re: inescapable irony  [message #58818 is a reply to message #58813] Mon, 21 September 2009 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ray2x is currently offline  ray2x

Really getting into it

Why then revert to such useless tactics? I can't (maybe do not) want to believe that old Nazi propoganda is use, and used by the very people for which it was intended. In my study, I am now just besides myself.

Raymundo
Re: inescapable irony  [message #58820 is a reply to message #58818] Mon, 21 September 2009 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Raymundo, I don't think they make the connection. Human nature will always come through.

Hugs
N

Re: Haven't we seen this sort of thing before somewhere?  [message #58821 is a reply to message #58795] Mon, 21 September 2009 12:07 Go to previous message
JFR is currently offline  JFR

On fire!

I am sorry that I have seen this so late into the thread.

It is utter rubbish, and smacks of baseless propaganda.

I personally know of Israeli Jews who are married to Palestinian women and vice-versa. Since laws of personal status in the State of Israel are in the purview of the various religions (a legacy from the British Mandate) rabbinical courts cannot perform a marriage ceremony if one of the parties is not Jewish, just as a Moslem court in Israel cannot perform a marriage ceremony if one of the parties is not Moslem. The same applies to Christian courts and Druse courts. Thus mixed marriages are common law marriages, but the spouses have all the rights and privileges of a married couple.

I have no idea what the situation is among Palestinians.

A whole ago the Jewish Agency (a NGO) did embark on a publicity programme to "rescue" Jews in the diaspora from assimilation. This campaign was discussed in the Knesset and the Jewish Agency withdrew its rather stupid campaign.

I hope this clarifies the situation.

J F R

The paradox has often been noted that the United States, founded in secularism, is now the most religiose country in Christendom, while England, with an established church headed by its constitutional monarch, is among the least. (Richard Dawkins, 2006)
Previous Topic: To think Garry Wills was once considered a conservative
Next Topic: Gay Birds
Goto Forum: