A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > How about THIS for a politician's stance on gay issues?
How about THIS for a politician's stance on gay issues?  [message #60546] Wed, 13 January 2010 14:03 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I have never supported the Lib Dems, but I think I may have to start. This man is a lesson to all of us.

You'll have to read it. US folk might want to write to their elected representatives and show it to them, too:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/clegg-lays-down-law-to-cameron-on-gay-rights-1866116.html

[Updated on: Wed, 13 January 2010 14:13]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
icon14.gif Re: How about THIS for a politician's stance on gay issues?  [message #60547 is a reply to message #60546] Wed, 13 January 2010 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

Absolutely Brilliant!
Re: How about THIS for a politician's stance on gay issues?  [message #60548 is a reply to message #60546] Wed, 13 January 2010 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JFR is currently offline  JFR

On fire!

Given the classic Liberal values of the freedom of the individual in society and the limits of society's right of interference in the choices of the individual and human rights in general he could hardly have said otherwise. But it takes guts for a leading politician to make definitive statements like Clegg did and he deserves all the credit he can get for them.

I think it was Stalin who asked "how many divisions does the pope have?" I don't want to sound sceptical, but can anyone estimate the electoral clout of the LGBTQ population in Great Britain?

J F R

The paradox has often been noted that the United States, founded in secularism, is now the most religiose country in Christendom, while England, with an established church headed by its constitutional monarch, is among the least. (Richard Dawkins, 2006)
This is not the first time, by the way...  [message #60549 is a reply to message #60546] Wed, 13 January 2010 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JFR is currently offline  JFR

On fire!

It seems the man is consistently supportive of gay rights and, even more importantly, just regarding gay behaviour in society as a given, no different from the way people regard str8 behaviour. I found that he said this 18 months ago: http://www.pinknews.co.uk/news/articles/2005-8129.html/

J F R

The paradox has often been noted that the United States, founded in secularism, is now the most religiose country in Christendom, while England, with an established church headed by its constitutional monarch, is among the least. (Richard Dawkins, 2006)
Re: How about THIS for a politician's stance on gay issues?  [message #60550 is a reply to message #60546] Wed, 13 January 2010 16:16 Go to previous message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

The thing with the LibDems is that for a third party they do surprisingly well.

I like their social message and I think it's inevitable that even major parties take a similar tone in the years to come.

Cameron is being quite progressive on gay rights and while that could just be opportunism I think there could be some sincerity in it. 10/20 years ago how many politicians really had to confront and think about issues like gay rights? It's a sign of the times that more and more politicians are changing their minds- I think it's largely due to exposure as much as political expediency.

Which economic message are they selling this year, though? A high-taxing or low-taxing one? They seem to oscillate between the two depending on whether the election is in an even numbered year or odd numbered year.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Previous Topic: Uganda
Next Topic: Red Cross Asking For Immediate Help For Haiti
Goto Forum: