A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > It's Time To Imprison All Gays
icon13.gif It's Time To Imprison All Gays  [message #60782] Sun, 31 January 2010 21:03 Go to next message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

Joe.My.God blogger Joe Jervis reports that American Family Association radio host Bryan Fischer has called for sending homosexuals to prison for forced reparative therapy, a move he says is sanctioned by the Bible. Below, Fischer responds to an email from a complaining listener.

Thanks for writing me about my comments on my program regarding homosexuality. It might be worth noting that what I actually suggested is that we impose the same sanctions on those who engage in homosexual behavior as we do on those who engage in intravenous drug abuse, since both pose the same kind of risk of contracting HIV/AIDS. I'd be curious to know what you think should be done with IV drug abusers, because whatever it is, I think the same response should be made to those who engage in homosexual behavior.

If you believe that what drug abusers need is to go into an effective detox program, then we should likewise put active homosexuals through an effective reparative therapy program. Secondly, I'm afraid you're simply wrong about the Bible's perspective on the law and homosexuality. Paul lists quite explicitly in 1 Timothy 1:8-11 the actions and behaviors that are the proper concern of the law:

"Now we know that the law is good, if one uses it lawfully, understanding this, that the law is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who strike their fathers and mothers, for murderers, the sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine..."

The bottom line here is that, biblically, those "who practice homosexuality" should come under the purview of the law just as much as those who take people captive in order to sell them into slavery. You express a belief in the Scriptures, and I trust your confidence in Scripture is not selective. If you believe all Scripture is inspired, then you are compelled to accept that legal sanctions may appropriately be applied to those who engage in homosexual behavior.

In November, Fischer called for banning all Muslims from the U.S. military. In addition to his radio show for the American Family Association, Fischer is the executive director of the Idaho Family Alliance.

Remember folks, the Christianist right is not about hatred and bigotry. It's about the gentle redemptive love of Jesus, forced upon you at the barrel of a gun in prison as they beat the gay out of you.

American Family Association Radio Host Bryan Fischer Photo By Reuters
Re: It's Time To Imprison All Gays  [message #60783 is a reply to message #60782] Sun, 31 January 2010 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

How glad I am that christianity is no longer relevant to me.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: It's Time To Imprison All Gays  [message #60784 is a reply to message #60782] Sun, 31 January 2010 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
E.J. is currently offline  E.J.

Really getting into it

Doesn't the old testament permit slavery?

(\\__/) And if you don't believe The sun will rise
(='.'=) Stand alone and greet The coming night
(")_(") In the last remaining light. (C. Cornell)
Re: It's Time To Imprison All Gays  [message #60785 is a reply to message #60782] Sun, 31 January 2010 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

Quoting: "Now we know that the law is good, if one uses it lawfully, understanding this, that the law is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who strike their fathers and mothers, for murderers, the sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine..."

I assume this is supposed to be a quote from the Bible according to Bryan Fischer and his American Family Association. I have a few issues with the quote, specifically the language. I would love to see the exact Aramiac translation of the word homosexual since we know it didn't exist in those days.
And that part: "the law is not laid down for the just but for the lawless..." I suppose that part applies to Ted Haggard. If you are a Christian then you're never going to be judged. Being holy allows you to commit all kinds of crimes, I know...ever drive behind a church bus? Must be Jesus behind the wheel, and all he ever drove was a donkey.

"...whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine..." As decided by whom? Maybe we should just set up a tribunal of homosexuals to pass laws, that should ruffle a few feathers. We'll add our own section to this new modern and inaccurate Bible, we'll call it: 1 Gay 69:69

[Updated on: Sun, 31 January 2010 23:39]

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Re: It's Time To Imprison All Gays  [message #60788 is a reply to message #60782] Mon, 01 February 2010 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

I'd be curious to know what you think should be done with IV drug abusers, because whatever it is, I think the same response should be made to those who engage in homosexual behavior.

I agree!

I think adults should be able to make decisions for their own lives, even if those decisions are considered "bad" or "immoral" by others.

So actually my response to IV drug users and homosexuals is the same- "let them live as they choose- and deal with any consequences that result from their choices".

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Bible translation  [message #60790 is a reply to message #60785] Mon, 01 February 2010 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

Chris James wrote:
>I would love to see the exact Aramiac translation of the word homosexual since we know it didn't exist in those days.<

http://bible.org/netbible/index.htm

1 Timothy 1

This may help if you look at footnote 12. I think you'll find that Paul's letters to Timothy were originally written in Greek.

Hugs
Nigel

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: It's Time To Imprison All Gays  [message #60792 is a reply to message #60784] Mon, 01 February 2010 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JFR is currently offline  JFR

On fire!

E.J. wrote:

Doesn't the old testament permit slavery?

Yes, it does. It also specifically prohibits all manner of work on Saturdays, the consumption of pork, of lobster, crab and shrimp; it requires that anyone who strikes a parent be put to death; it requires one to give 10% of one's free income to charity - and many, many more. Those who only quote the law on homosexual relations are being crudely selective. How selective can one get? (And, by the way, it is not a prohibition of homosexuality, but of anal sex between men.)

'Nuff said.

J F R

The paradox has often been noted that the United States, founded in secularism, is now the most religiose country in Christendom, while England, with an established church headed by its constitutional monarch, is among the least. (Richard Dawkins, 2006)
Re: Bible translation  [message #60793 is a reply to message #60790] Mon, 01 February 2010 11:57 Go to previous message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

Yes, and so now we bring Greeks into the picture. I remember Timothy was thought to have been of Greek descent. Thus if we are to believe that he had a 'mentor' relationship with the apostle Paul in the Greek sense...well, how do we view that?

I'm with Timmy, glad I don't find myself involved with Christianity and since many are I withhold my thoughts here.

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Previous Topic: Well here's a pro gay marriage argument
Next Topic: Pub Takes Issue With Transwoman's Choice Of Using The Loo
Goto Forum: