A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > I got so much beauty, I just gotta share it
I got so much beauty, I just gotta share it  [message #60969] Wed, 10 February 2010 18:00 Go to next message
Macky is currently offline  Macky

Really getting into it

No, It ain't revaling pictures of myself...where WAS your mind at?

Max
  • Attachment: 003.JPG
    (Size: 53.75KB, Downloaded 358 times)
  • Attachment: 018.JPG
    (Size: 61.77KB, Downloaded 369 times)
  • Attachment: 017.JPG
    (Size: 52.98KB, Downloaded 366 times)
  • Attachment: 016.JPG
    (Size: 56.80KB, Downloaded 359 times)
  • Attachment: 002.JPG
    (Size: 52.93KB, Downloaded 351 times)
  • Attachment: 013.JPG
    (Size: 49.92KB, Downloaded 364 times)
  • Attachment: 006.JPG
    (Size: 55.71KB, Downloaded 348 times)
  • Attachment: 011.JPG
    (Size: 55.47KB, Downloaded 366 times)
  • Attachment: 005.JPG
    (Size: 52.66KB, Downloaded 364 times)
  • Attachment: 009.JPG
    (Size: 59.43KB, Downloaded 369 times)
  • Attachment: 015.JPG
    (Size: 49.45KB, Downloaded 365 times)
  • Attachment: 010.JPG
    (Size: 61.17KB, Downloaded 371 times)
  • Attachment: 001.JPG
    (Size: 50.85KB, Downloaded 363 times)
  • Attachment: 008.JPG
    (Size: 67.12KB, Downloaded 387 times)
  • Attachment: 012.JPG
    (Size: 48.46KB, Downloaded 353 times)
  • Attachment: 014.JPG
    (Size: 43.82KB, Downloaded 379 times)

Behold, how good and how pleasant it is
For brothers to dwell together in unity!
Ps 133:1 NASB
Re: I got so much beauty, I just gotta share it  [message #60970 is a reply to message #60969] Wed, 10 February 2010 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aussie is currently offline  Aussie

Really getting into it

Lovely to look at through the windows, but shovelling it? I don't think so.

I don't think you are going to be able to see out the windows much longer.

Aussie
Re: I got so much beauty, I just gotta share it  [message #60972 is a reply to message #60969] Wed, 10 February 2010 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acam is currently offline  acam

On fire!

Wow, Macky!

The last time I saw snow like that was the winter of 1940 when I was at Hulme End in Derbyshire and we were cut off for a fortnight. Hulme End is about two miles from Hartington and there was one bus a day - but none for a fortnight. There was no public electricity in Hulme End so we had a battery wireless set which used a lead-acid accumulator to heat the valves and 'high tension' dry cell battery (something like 150 volts) to bias the grids. Of course we were desperate for news as the blitz was on in London, where my father worked, and my mother walked to Hartington and back to get the accumulator recharged (in those days electrical shops would charge them for you). She said she walked a lot of the way on the top of the drystone walls as the snowdrifts were sometimes four feet deep!

Love,
Anthony
Re: I got so much beauty, I just gotta share it  [message #60973 is a reply to message #60972] Wed, 10 February 2010 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Well, we're cut-off now. They have closed down the interstate highway system. The National guard is keeping cars off the highways. I doubt that it will last long, but for the time being, it's novel. I don't recall them shutting the roads down before. Probably just a matter of hours until they open up, but they are expecting more wind tomorrow, so who knows. The wind drops the snow wherever it pleases and cleared roads soon are covered again.

Now as to the Blitz. I never stop being amazed at how fond the old fogey English people are about recalling it. I was touring All Hallows by the Tower Church once, because that's where my state's founder was baptized. When we went to the place where they have the preserved Roman tilework under the church, some oldsters began to talk about how much like the shelters were during the Blitz. Before long they were all telling humorous stories, talking and laughing...one would have thought they were reminiscing about a day at the beach. There was a similar scene when my wife and I visited her two old maiden aunts in Wales. I didn't realize that tar bombs were raining there as well. Something in the human spirit loves a disaster. Odd, isn't it? Perhaps it's the echo of the joy of having made it through that.

Max

The last time I saw snow like that was the winter of 1940 when I was at Hulme End in Derbyshire and we were cut off for a fortnight. Hulme End is about two miles from Hartington and there was one bus a day - but none for a fortnight. There was no public electricity in Hulme End so we had a battery wireless set which used a lead-acid accumulator to heat the valves and 'high tension' dry cell battery (something like 150 volts) to bias the grids. Of course we were desperate for news as the blitz was on in London, where my father worked, and my mother walked to Hartington and back to get the accumulator recharged (in those days electrical shops would charge them for you). She said she walked a lot of the way on the top of the drystone walls as the snowdrifts were sometimes four feet deep!

Re: I got so much beauty, I just gotta share it  [message #60975 is a reply to message #60973] Wed, 10 February 2010 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

Snow is the perfect inspiration to read a good book.

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Re: I got so much beauty, I just gotta share it  [message #60977 is a reply to message #60969] Wed, 10 February 2010 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

Great b/w pics, Max. Do they come in colour as well? lol

Hugs
Nigel

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: I got so much beauty, I just gotta share it  [message #60978 is a reply to message #60977] Thu, 11 February 2010 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Nigel,

Now you know that white is, in fact, all the colors. Dig out your prism.

Just looked out the window. Snow stopped this evening. But even in the dark, I can see powdery white clouds leaping up off the ground and blowing skyward. Either God figured that he gave us too much and is taking some back, or it's drifting.

Max

Re: I got so much beauty, I just gotta share it  [message #60981 is a reply to message #60969] Thu, 11 February 2010 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott is currently offline  Scott

Likes it here

WOW!
You guys in the southern part of the state really got dumped on between this past weekend's storm and today's. Sunday a week ago I was at Ski Roundtop where they were desperately making snow for the upcoming President's week. The ski resorts are happy places now. If only people can get there on the closed highways. :-/

Cycling is the one sport where a guy can shave his legs, wear spandex and bright colors, and be accepted.
Re: I got so much beauty, I just gotta share it  [message #60995 is a reply to message #60981] Fri, 12 February 2010 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ray2x is currently offline  ray2x

Really getting into it

We were back east over Christmas and New Years. There was snow in Albany and Boston area but certainly not as much. I consider myself lucky to have experienced a few white Christmases but not as many white President's Days. I'd get some cups of hot chocolate and some good jazz music. And watch the Winter Olympics.

Raymundo
Re: I got so much beauty, I just gotta share it  [message #60997 is a reply to message #60981] Fri, 12 February 2010 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Hi Scott,
Nice to hear from you. Yes, Roundtop has to be minting money now that the roads are open. Better watch if you ski there. The county blind assn is doing snowboarding there according to my son!

How has the thing with your wife been progressing?

All the best!

Max

Re: I got so much beauty, I just gotta share it  [message #60998 is a reply to message #60995] Fri, 12 February 2010 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Yes, It's nice to watch. Makes me want to move to Nebraska so I can enjoy it almost year round. They're saying an inch or 2 early next week. That'll pretty up where the snow cover has gotten dirty. I feel bad for you Cali guys who don't get any.
Max

Re: I got so much beauty, I just gotta share it  [message #61006 is a reply to message #60997] Fri, 12 February 2010 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M is currently offline  M

Likes it here

Here in the south (Atlanta Georgia), we are getting a couple inches of snow. Nothing compared to like what you got, but still odd to see it this far south in the United States.

You don't love someone because they are beautiful, they are beautiful because you love them.
Re: I got so much beauty, I just gotta share it  [message #61007 is a reply to message #61006] Sat, 13 February 2010 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
E.J. is currently offline  E.J.

Really getting into it

M wrote:
> Here in the south (Atlanta Georgia), we are getting a couple inches of snow.

With much heavier snow south of Macon. It's supposed to be in the mid 20s (F) in the morning; I probably won't be able to get out of the driveway.

ps. Someone said on the news tonight that 80% of the US is covered in snow....weird weather.

(\\__/) And if you don't believe The sun will rise
(='.'=) Stand alone and greet The coming night
(")_(") In the last remaining light. (C. Cornell)
Re: I got so much beauty, I just gotta share it  [message #61012 is a reply to message #61007] Sat, 13 February 2010 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
E.J. is currently offline  E.J.

Really getting into it

Not nearly as much snow as Macky, but for Atlanta it's a lot (2nd snow in a month)
  • Attachment: snow 1.jpg
    (Size: 179.02KB, Downloaded 280 times)

(\\__/) And if you don't believe The sun will rise
(='.'=) Stand alone and greet The coming night
(")_(") In the last remaining light. (C. Cornell)
Re: I got so much beauty, I just gotta share it  [message #61013 is a reply to message #61012] Sat, 13 February 2010 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Just enough for pretty! Nice picture E.J. I hear a while back that we were due for weird weather due to El Nino. Maybe all this is that. I believe England is having unusual weather too. Like aren't palm trees supposed to grow there?

Max

Re: I got so much beauty, I just gotta share it  [message #61015 is a reply to message #61013] Sat, 13 February 2010 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

We are having normal weather in England. The trouble is we have not had normal winter weather for years and now it's back to normal people don't know how to cope.

Palm trees anly grow in the far southwest.

Hugs
Nigel

[Updated on: Sat, 13 February 2010 16:35]

Re: I got so much beauty, I just gotta share it  [message #61016 is a reply to message #61015] Sat, 13 February 2010 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kiwi is currently offline  kiwi

Likes it here

I do like Summer! ;-D

Apparently, the 'palm' trees in Torquay, in the south-west, are actually New Zealand Cabbage Trees.

cheers

Commas matter - 'Party on Dudes' is not the same as 'Party on, Dudes'
Re: I got so much beauty, I just gotta share it  [message #61018 is a reply to message #61016] Sat, 13 February 2010 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Do you know what these are, Kiwi. I'm told they are at Logan in SW Scotland!

Love,
Anthony

[Updated on: Sat, 13 February 2010 19:56]

Re: I got so much beauty, I just gotta share it  [message #61019 is a reply to message #61018] Sat, 13 February 2010 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kiwi is currently offline  kiwi

Likes it here

?

Commas matter - 'Party on Dudes' is not the same as 'Party on, Dudes'
Re: I got so much beauty, I just gotta share it  [message #61020 is a reply to message #61016] Sat, 13 February 2010 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

You New Zealanders are certainly interesting folk. We grow our cabbages on the ground. I suppose it stops the rabbits from nibbling them.

Hugs
Nigel

Re: I got so much beauty, I just gotta share it  [message #61021 is a reply to message #61019] Sat, 13 February 2010 19:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Sorry, Kiwi, for some reason the picture didn't go. Maybe it was too big. I've edited it into place now - but at a lower resolution.

Love,
Anthony
Re: I got so much beauty, I just gotta share it  [message #61022 is a reply to message #61018] Sat, 13 February 2010 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Those look like palmettos, Anthony. It's the state tree of South Carolina. Must be a particularly hardy variety to grow in Scotland.

Max

icon3.gif Re: I got so much beauty, I just gotta share it  [message #61023 is a reply to message #61022] Sat, 13 February 2010 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aqualino is currently offline  aqualino

Likes it here

Hi Max, I remember watching one of those Discovery Channel shows about the ocean currents. The North American gulf stream flows up the American coast then hangs a right turn and actually runs straight across the northen Atlantic bumping directly into Scotland. It showed the trees and explained that this was the northern most spot for a palm tree to grow, since the current of warm water kept the temps moderate enough.

Since moving to Florida 5 years ago, I bought a book about the different palm trees of the south-east US. The palmetto, which my grandmother used to call "scrub" palms, are actually called cabbage palms as Kiwi mentioned. I also read that with the climate change happening lately, you can plant them further and further northwards each year. They just need covering from snow in the winter.

aqua

There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love. Washington Irving
Re: I got so much beauty, I just gotta share it  [message #61025 is a reply to message #61023] Sun, 14 February 2010 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Thanks aqua,

Palm trees in Scotland. Hooda thunkit!

I've often considered that the success of the folks on the Iles was due to their salubrious climate. Despite what they all say, it never gets hot there.

But lookie here; that Gulf stream is takin' our heat and giving it to those guys. I say let's us bill'em! ;-D

Re: I got so much beauty, I just gotta share it  [message #61026 is a reply to message #60997] Sun, 14 February 2010 04:32 Go to previous message
Scott is currently offline  Scott

Likes it here

This season has been great all around for snowboarding. I've been on different mountains from NH through PA for about 20 trips so far (seasons passes are great). The thing with the wife, not so great. A year after I came out, she spoke with her attorney yesterday, I will see mine next Thursday. Divorce is happening. I'll make another thread eventually so I don't hijack yours, Max. Sometimes stories don't have happy endings.

Cycling is the one sport where a guy can shave his legs, wear spandex and bright colors, and be accepted.
Previous Topic: Senator Savino of NYC : Marriage Equality.
Next Topic: Beautiful? No, but hot as hell!
Goto Forum: