A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > House Approves Health Overhaul, NGLTF Responds
icon4.gif House Approves Health Overhaul, NGLTF Responds  [message #61477] Mon, 22 March 2010 04:19 Go to next message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

By Brody Levesque (Washington DC) Mar 22 | The Congress gave final approval late Sunday night to legislation that will provide medical coverage to tens of millions of uninsured Americans and remake the nation’s health care system along the lines proposed by the President. In a vote of 219 to 212, the House passed the historic bill after a day of acrimonious debate.
The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force calls the U.S. House passage of federal health care reform legislation a historic step forward. The legislation includes language to prohibit discrimination in some funding for federal public health programs; allocates $8.5 billion in funds for community health centers; prohibits exclusion on the basis of pre-existing conditions; and improves data collection on health disparities. These will mark significant changes for all Americans, including lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people.
However, the Task Force expressed deep disappointment in the absence of LGBT-specific provisions that were in the original House bill, including tax equity for employer-based health insurance coverage of same-sex couples and expanded Medicaid coverage for people with HIV. The Task Force is also disappointed in the inclusion of funding for abstinence-only-until-marriage programs; the continuation of a ban on legal immigrants' Medicaid eligibility and on undocumented residents' access to health insurance; the ongoing restrictions and attacks on funding for women's reproductive rights services; and the lack of a public option.
Rea Carey, Executive Director, released the following statement;

"Millions of people across the country are suffering from a lack of adequate, affordable health care and experience unfair, inhumane treatment at the hands of the health insurance industry. People of color and economically impoverished people are disproportionately affected by such health disparities. Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people and our families are among those affected by this broken and imbalanced health care system, which this legislation aims to fix."

While far from perfect, this legislation marks a historic step toward ensuring access to health care for roughly 32 million people who are currently uninsured, and toward ending some of the health insurance industry’s most egregious abuses. There is no sound reason why anyone who wants insurance is refused adequate and affordable coverage, and no one should go bankrupt because of health care.

The Task Force will continue to press for reform that specifically meets the needs of people of color, LGBT people, women and the economically struggling. Reform must address some of the stark realities that many of us face every day. For example, how LGBT families are legally defined greatly affects the costs of and access to coverage, and compounds the impact experienced by the thousands of people of color who are lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender. Every April 15, LGBT families write an extra check to the IRS to pay for domestic partner and same-sex spousal benefits — the very same benefits opposite-sex married couples get tax free. The federal government must add sexual orientation and gender identity-specific questions to all national health surveys in order to get a more accurate picture of the community’s needs. Right now, we’re virtually rendered invisible in those surveys.

So, clearly, while there is much left to be done to make America’s health care system healthy and fair, this marks a critical start on the long road to full reform.”

Rea Carey, Executive Director Photo Courtesy Of The National Gay & Lesbian Task Force
Re: House Approves Health Overhaul, NGLTF Responds  [message #61482 is a reply to message #61477] Mon, 22 March 2010 12:02 Go to previous message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

Thank you, Brody, as always your news is most timely.

I watched some of this debate on the television last night, such angry people, some of who may learn to regret their words. The very climate in that congressional chamber was thick with hate filled speech. Why...it almost looked like a session of Parliment Smile

I take umbridge at those politicians who see this health care business as another excuse to push their abortion views. We already have laws about that, this was not the place to address them, but they did. Such narrow minded people, it's a wonder they can tie their shoelaces.

At one point, and I cannot remember who said what at this point there was so much speechifying (goodness I love that term) but this congressman suggested that we were going to have health care as bad as that in the UK. And of course I thought to ask some of you what he means by that.

Health care is vital, it costs too much. Ths past year we had a mild epidemic of H1N1 flu virus that spread around, the government passed around vaccine. And what about next year or the one after that? What happens when we don't get an effective vaccine and it spreads?

By disenfranchising some citizens, some immigrant populations, we take the risk of allowing those without health care to become infected. They will be the reason it spreads, life as we know it will come to a halt as we huddle in our homes to avoid human contact. Think Middle Ages, do we want to go back to that?

In many ways I think the LGBT community is one of the brightest, well educated groups in the country. Any laws passed that disenfranchise this group of people, my brothers and sisters, will come back to bite Americans in the ass. As the rich huddle in their castles afraid of the plague, we (the LGBT community) will be out doing something about it. We understand plague. We were left alone, abandoned by our government, to deal with AIDS for too long not to remember how it all works.

As for the new health care bill, it will cover 95% of Americans. Somehow I feel I will end up in that last 5%. I have never won the lottery in my life, why should things change now?

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Previous Topic: Iowa State University Conducts National Study on Cyberbullys
Next Topic: Law in action. The Equality Act 2006
Goto Forum: