A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Just the latest outrage in Africa
icon8.gif Just the latest outrage in Africa  [message #62246] Sat, 01 May 2010 15:03 Go to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

I wrote a story some twenty years ago in which I had one character say to another that he had to leave because there was a "crisis in Uganda..there's always a crisis in Uganda."

Africa has been in the news a lot lately, especially about Uganda. But now we see another side to the mismanagement of a country. Rwanda is losing it's credibility as a reformed state after the massive genocide of the past decade. They are on track to become the newest North Korea.

Any country that violates human rights in the name of progress deserves our contempt. Snatching adults and children off the streets to "educate" them, incarcerate them without due process, and leave their families destitute is an irrational means of state control.

It's time for foreign nations to examine the relationship we have with this country, Rwanda's government have become the new Taliban in Africa.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36883916/ns/world_news-africa

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Re: Just the latest outrage in Africa  [message #62248 is a reply to message #62246] Sun, 02 May 2010 01:05 Go to previous message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

Kagame has said that he wants Rwanda to emulate Singapore. At the time I thought he just meant economically, but I guess he also means Singapore's strict "no-tolerance" approach.

That said, I think Rwanda is still one of the strongest performing countries in Africa. There will always be misconduct and evil in government- especially one transitioning from a pre-Industrial stage. Perhaps Rwanda's transition will actually see it eventually transition into a liberal democracy, much as Singapore is slowly, but surely, moving towards now.

Put it this way- I'd rather live in Singapore than any of the neighbouring countries. Even if Rwanda ends up less than ideal, I still think its embrace of capitalism will see it progress more than its neighbours.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Previous Topic: An amazing sports article from the least likely source ...
Next Topic: Who is Obama's real opposition its not the Republicans
Goto Forum: