A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Service Announcement
icon4.gif Service Announcement  [message #6140] Fri, 22 November 2002 05:40 Go to next message
Steve is currently offline  Steve

Really getting into it

If anyone receives an email with an attachment of around 127 k from Jack Rowan do not open it as it it infected with the Klez virus. It obviously does not come from him or even from his computer. It must come from someone with who has him (and me) on their address list.
icon4.gif Re: Service Announcement  [message #6141 is a reply to message #6140] Fri, 22 November 2002 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve is currently offline  Steve

Really getting into it

The same applies to an email from annon1 with the subject line "A very nice game". Just delete it.

Wow, they are coming this and fast today!
icon8.gif I get a couple of them a week...plus all that spam! Oh my...  [message #6144 is a reply to message #6141] Fri, 22 November 2002 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
david in hong kong is currently offline  david in hong kong

On fire!

No Message Body

"Always forgive your enemies...nothing annoys them quite so much." Oscar Wilde
Re: Service Announcement  [message #6165 is a reply to message #6140] Fri, 22 November 2002 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the scholar is currently offline  the scholar

Toe is in the water

I open nothing with an attachment - that's what ground my hard drive to death last time.

TS
Wise to avoid attatchments UNLESS  [message #6168 is a reply to message #6140] Fri, 22 November 2002 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

you are expecting them, of course, OR of they have no executable possibilities.

Please NEVER blame the apparent author of the email for a virus. It is 99% sure not to be them

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
icon7.gif Keep virus killer and windows install both updated, you'll do fine.  [message #6169 is a reply to message #6165] Fri, 22 November 2002 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lenny is currently offline  lenny

On fire!

No Message Body

"But he that hath the steerage of my course,
direct my sail."

-William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, Act One, Scene IV
Re: Service Announcement  [message #6272 is a reply to message #6140] Sat, 30 November 2002 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jack Rowan is currently offline  Jack Rowan

Getting started

> It obviously does not come from him or even from his computer.

No, indeed... Someone pretending to be me to send viruses?
Fame of a kind, I s'pose...

I got a virus checker recently. It zoomed through my computer
and found *four* nestling away in my temporary browser files.
It's really worth having anti-virus software and keeping it
up-to-date.

--Jack
Re: Service Announcement  [message #6294 is a reply to message #6272] Sun, 01 December 2002 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jack Rowan is currently offline  Jack Rowan

Getting started

Just a follow-up to that: today I got a message, apparently
from Mihangel, warning me about the klez virus and suggesting
I got in touch with McAfee about it.

Mihangel didn't send it. It was 120 Kb long or so, although
the text was only three lines, but it had no apparent
attachments. I suspect it was another klez.

I suspect also that there's someone hanging around here and
sending klez's specifically to us. It's too much of a
coincidence that I received this the very day I posted here
about this, and from Mihangel. I have many correspondents,
of whom Mihangel is admittedly one, but none of the others
has been spoofed in this way to send me a virus.

Be warned...
It is a simple fake  [message #6295 is a reply to message #6294] Sun, 01 December 2002 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

these things are so complex. They take email addresses form pne place, payloads form another, and the virus form yet another. just delete it and ignore it.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
To elaborate a bit  [message #6298 is a reply to message #6295] Sun, 01 December 2002 21:42 Go to previous message
trevor is currently offline  trevor

Really getting into it

These "worm" viruses like Klez often use your address book, or even e-mail addresses in your cache (temporary) files. They "spoof" one of these as the sending address and mail itself to others. So, they WILL often look like they are from a friend since your friends will have your e-mail addy in their books or cache, etc.

The one I actually caught (because my virus signatures were a few months out of date) immediately jumped to another PC on my home network through file shares to infect 2 more machines and actually manufactured some e-mail addresses like "sales@iomfats.org" which of course doesn't exist. As timmy says, these are smart viruses!

So, the person who appears to have sent it probably isn't or if they did, it was most likely unknowingly done on their behalf by the virus rather than a conscious effort.

Good to see you, btw, Jack!
Previous Topic: I've really been thinking a lot lately...
Next Topic: Loosing......
Goto Forum: