A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > the DADT survey
the DADT survey  [message #62925] Fri, 09 July 2010 17:14 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

This is the survey. No, you cannot fill it in and answer it. I suggest you use full screen mode to page through it.

2010 DoD Comprehensive Review Survey of Uniformed Active Duty and Reserve Service Members

I'm most interested in your opinions about the survey itself, and I'd like you to offer those without looking at anyone else's first.

Naturally nothing precludes you from commenting on the concept of a survey in the first place.

[Updated on: Fri, 09 July 2010 17:15]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: the DADT survey  [message #62926 is a reply to message #62925] Fri, 09 July 2010 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acam is currently offline  acam

On fire!

If I had paid an expert PR agency to devise a questionnaire with the desired answer to establish or confirm that service people were prejudiced (against having 'out' gay people in the service with them) this would be a satisfactory response. The inbuilt bias is so extreme that it is almost laughable.

When I did my national service this questionnaire, I am sure, would have yielded the answer that service men (of course in those days there were no national service women) and yet there were lots of gay people and quite a lot was done to accommodate them (although it could certainly not be admitted that anything was done).

The first question I was asked (when I joined a destroyer crew as a coder) was 'Why are all coders queer?'. Thing is that I was eighteen and had never had sex or even a kiss from anyone but a parent or aunt and I didn't even know I was queer myself.

But when I got to know them the crew of the destroyer knew who at least some of the queers were and they were tolerated and not treated cruelly.

And by the time I finished my national service I DID know I was homosexual.

So my national service taught me something as well as giving me an 'A'-level in Russian!
Love,
Anthony

PS What sort of comment did you expect, Timmy?
Re: the DADT survey  [message #62927 is a reply to message #62926] Fri, 09 July 2010 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I expect any and all comments.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
I'm assuming ...  [message #62928 is a reply to message #62925] Sat, 10 July 2010 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

... that the duplicated questions are a product of how the document was scanned, or something.

First impression: A minefield and an administrative nightmare.

Second impression: Could well instigate a "Witch-hunt" in the wrong hands. All those "Have you ever ... with ... believed to be Homosexual" questions simply scare me. Under the U. S. Uniform Code of Military Justice, just by answering yes to those questions, if push came to shove, and an identified respondent were asked the same questions under under oath and that respondent to the questionnaire refused to "Say Who" he, or she, could well be Courts Martialed for their refusal. It's small wonder the Servicemembers Legal Defense Network (sldn.org), amongst many others is deeply concerned about this questionnaire.

The agency fulfilling the survey programme on behalf of the Defense Department says the returns are anonymous; but, my own experience in this field is that every questionnaire has an identifying feature (even if it's not apparent), and it's there principally to enable the surveying agency to remove a qualified candidate from their list once the survey is completed and returned and thus stop any further request that one do so. Now whether the fulfilling agency WILL LINK that data before compiling the results is another question; but, as sure as "God made Shooting Sherry", they do have that capability.

Additionally, just supposing they do, or do not, link the data, could the fulfilling agency be compelled to release link information?

In Canada, no; but, in the U.S. I just don't know; and that frightens the hell out me too.

Warren C. E. Austin
The gay deceiver
Toronto, Canada

[Updated on: Sat, 10 July 2010 03:32]

"... comme recherché qu'un délice callipygian"
Re: the DADT survey  [message #62929 is a reply to message #62925] Sat, 10 July 2010 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ray2x is currently offline  ray2x

Really getting into it

Very wordy, dull, not at all a good survey. Whoever put together this survey does not know squat about psychological survey administration. 32 pages to find out one's opinion? I cringe when I think of the wasted millions of dollars which went into creating this survey, and schools around the USA are closing classes, laying off instructors, librarians, counselors, etc., etc.

Raymundo
Re: I'm assuming ...  [message #62930 is a reply to message #62928] Sat, 10 July 2010 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I saw repetition rather than duplication, but you may well be right. I had no control over the scanned document or the delivery mechanism here.

Not a problem ...  [message #62931 is a reply to message #62930] Sat, 10 July 2010 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

... I have an account with scribd.com, so I simply downloaded the .pdf and examined it in it's native format. The duplication exists in the originating file, therefore it is likely a scan error when creating the document before uploading.

Still and all, one further observation: There is no real, and compelling, reason for anyone to WANT TO COMPLETE this survey; it's decidedly, and most visually, unattractive, largely reminiscent of the "Shoppers' Pattern" surveys we've all received at one time or another over the years in the mail, the lure therein of course being the coupons (or in the very beginning the "trial" product) that would most assuredly follow our having responded; but here, there is nothing ... no eye-candy of any description (other than the rather officious-looking Defense Department Seal), no "follow-me" graphics, no "excitement", no sense of accomplishment in replying.

To my mind, in a survey of this nature, they would have been better served to simply have asked half-a-dozen straight-up questions about whether those currently serving in the Military perceived that there would be any issues surrounding the U. S. Defense Department abandoning DADT, or not, and if so what they might be; on the other hand, the SLDN does bring up a couple of valid point about why there is being a survey at all, and its' supposed necessity in the first place, especially considering none was thought to be necessary during integration in the late 40's and early 50's, nor again in the 70's when women were folded fully into the ranks. The military, regardless of which country's were speaking of here, does exist, after all is said and done, through a culture of "It's my way or the highway", or "Jump when I say jump and How High Sir! and when can I come down?"

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

[Updated on: Sat, 10 July 2010 16:08]

Re: the DADT survey  [message #62932 is a reply to message #62929] Sat, 10 July 2010 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Dear Raymundo,
I don't think it is 'badly' designed. I think it was designed for a purpose and that the purpose was to show that there was so much prejudice in the forces against gays that it would be unwise to allow them to be open hence the survey is designed to preserve DADT.

Ask youself what the instructions were that the designer was working to meet. Surely even the thickest market research survey designer could do better than this if the purpose was to find out whether abandoning DADT would be OK.

So, I conclude that the purpose is something else. Don't you?
Love,
Anthony
Re: the DADT survey  [message #62935 is a reply to message #62932] Mon, 12 July 2010 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ray2x is currently offline  ray2x

Really getting into it

Yes, there are other purposes to the survey. I based my original opinion on educational testing classes and hands on test administration. Four tests which I can recall do not add up to the 32 pages of the DADT survey. Granted, an educational test and a sociological survey are two different tools, but both must follow guidelines of validity and reliability. DADT doesn't quite focus its goals, does not address its entended survey subject until a third of the way, and its questions tend to confuse the subject matter. More than likely, the DoD will get the answers it really wants.
A few other matters concerning the survey. There's no mention of the authors of the survey, their degree, their experiences or for who they work. The survey uses modes of questions which carry unforseen biases: multiple choice questions force you to make a choice among a select number of answers and your perfered answer may not be among the answers; scaled questions tend to begin at a point but there was no indication what or where that point is. Even participating in a survey can confound the results, where a participant knows he/she is taking a survey and tries to answers in order to make himself/herself look good.
All in all, Acam, it is a poor tool. Sorry for the academics but this is one of my strong points.

Raymundo
Interesting response  [message #62936 is a reply to message #62925] Mon, 12 July 2010 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CallMePaul is currently offline  CallMePaul

Really getting into it

A humorous response that points out some of the biased techniques used in the survey.

http://www.autostraddle.com/dont-ask-dont-tell-survey-is-biased-51485/

Youth crisis hot-line 866-488-7386, 24 hr (U.S.A.)
There are people who want to help you cope with being you.
Timmy? Would to care to share ...  [message #62986 is a reply to message #62925] Wed, 14 July 2010 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

... your own thoughts about the DADT Survey?

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

Re: Timmy? Would to care to share ...  [message #62990 is a reply to message #62986] Wed, 14 July 2010 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I find it interesting that there is no single question about DADT. That is what is to be repealed, allegedly. So why not ask about that?

The many questions about identifying LGBT folk are borderline offensive, as is constructing a biased situation about negotiating behaviour with folk you believe may be gay.

A friend of mine in Chicago, gay and out, feels the reverse. He finds the survey fair and equitable.

Re: Timmy? Would to care to share ...  [message #62993 is a reply to message #62990] Wed, 14 July 2010 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Dear Timmy, I find your Chicago friend's attitude quite astonishing and incomprehensible. What does he think the purpose of the survey was? What facts does he think it was designed to establish? Does he really think those questions could distinguish between a good policy and a bad one?
Love,
Anthony
Re: Timmy? Would to care to share ...  [message #62994 is a reply to message #62993] Wed, 14 July 2010 21:26 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

I'm just telling you what he said. He is a man of conscience and morality, educated, independent, and thoughtful.

Previous Topic: Gay players caused Germany to lose the FIFA World Cup
Next Topic: On Same-Sex Marriage Ruling, Obama Risks Alienating His Base
Goto Forum: