A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Something interests me
Something interests me  [message #63665] Wed, 08 September 2010 18:45 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I am running a poll at the moment. As I've said before, I don;t care much whether current posters choose to vote or not.

Out of 150 answers so far, 35 only visit the site for the stories. That isn't hugely surprising.

Only 3 teens and 1 adult use things like Facebook. So the FB etc users ether haven;t voted, or they are lying.

9 Teenagers say they would use a forum. Interesting how they do not, then.

11 Gay adults in a heterosexual marriage would use it to get help. Well, I haven' t voted, and I used to use it to get help. I know of 2 members of the forum with this status. That means that 9 others would use it. And yet they do not.

36 gay adults would use it to get help. Assuming there are 10 regular posters, 26 of them are not using it despite saying that they would.

12 heterosexual people say that they would use a forum to understand gay people to support their friends better. I wonder what message they are seeing.

Outside the poll, one of my friends tells me that the forum is the only place where he feels welcome as himself. Well, not at the moment, obviously.

The survey isn't finished yet, though I don't expect it to change in percentages that much.

Perhaps, while I am away, you would like to reflect on these figures.

As you reflect you might like to ask yourselves "What am I doing, personally, to make the people who would use the forum feel unwelcome?"

That's you, not me, the 'I'.

There is a sting in the tail here. I expect you will work out what it is.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Something interests me  [message #63674 is a reply to message #63665] Thu, 09 September 2010 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

Would a facebook user be voting on a poll on your site, timmy?

Try posting the same poll on a facebook group and see the kind of response it gets.

There's a lot of people saying they would in theory use a forum, but do they use other forums? Are they looking for another and finding the current one unsuitable?

I think the poll in interesting. It certainly offers a lot of potential responses. Yet it still feels shallow. I don't think any poll can offer definitive answers.

That said I appreciate the point of this post.

As for me, I reply to things I find interesting. I state my opinion, sometimes ferociously, but while trying not to offend. I don't think I do much to make people feel welcome, but I'd at least hope I don't make them feel unwelcome.

I don't know the golden magic solution for the recent turmoil. But I kind of feel like saying "lighten up, it's just a game". Kind of a misplaced reference, but something I've learnt by playing MMO games. There is no point stressing out and getting into huge fights about online stuff. Most of the arguing recently, without trying to trivialise people's opinions has been pretty... "unimportant" (I can't come up with a less offensive word than that).

I guess there's a reason politics and religion are taboo at Christmas parties, though. We used to be better at talking about those topics without offending, though. We really did.

Let's take a time out from those topics until we like each other again, perhaps? Rather than a total time out. On that note I'm going to make another post about me =P Because I can.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Interesting point; and one that was discussed ...  [message #63678 is a reply to message #63674] Thu, 09 September 2010 06:02 Go to previous message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

... however briefly earlier today during my telephone conversation with another while he conferenced with another, while carrying on an IM Chat session with another ... you get my point.

Facebook was mention as a possible Polling solution. The difficulty I have with that is you'll likely get all the loonies responding too. It could also attract the kind of attention not desirable from all the wrong people, especially as A Place Of Safety does seem to be off their collective radar.

Any thoughts on how we might enable just such a Poll and restrict it to those most likely in need of our services and facilities without making too much of a public splash about it?

Whilst I have three FaceBook Profiles (all of them restricted and locked down as much as any can be), I'm not what you would call a Social Media Technorati; more a Luddite I'm thinking, so suggestions would definitely be in order here.

Now, LOL, I'll see abut finding that bed.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

[Updated on: Thu, 09 September 2010 06:03]

"... comme recherché qu'un délice callipygian"
Previous Topic: And now, youngsters, whoever and wherever ...
Next Topic: Yet Another Salvo Fired In The War Over LGBT Equality Rights
Goto Forum: