A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Australia calling
Australia calling  [message #63740] Sun, 12 September 2010 15:09 Go to next message
DesDownunder is currently offline  DesDownunder

Likes it here

G'day everyone, just thought there was a need to let everyone know that someone, (namely me) from the colonies has joined the forum. I probably won't say much, but of course then again maybe I will.

Anyway an Aussie is watching. Surprised

By the way we are having trouble with our parliament after the recent federal election. It seems like it is hung...well hung, but won't lay down.
I wonder if we can interest the Queen into recalling the colony, we are better behaved these days, (except for Saturdays.)

We are still waiting to get same sex marriage recognised, but we at least, otherwise have most of the benefits of equality.

I would also like to confess that I have attempted to write a few stories and poems which are hosted at Codey's World: http://www.codeysworld.com/desdownunder/index.html

Please forgive my grammar and spelling, sometimes I lapse into Americanisms, and at other times my words are derived from the local Aussie vernacular. At least I can read the Queen's English. I'm not saying I understand it of course. Very Happy

DesDownunder

Call me naive if you want, but life without trust in the goodness of others would be intolerable.

Religious indoctrination: It gets better, without it.
Re: Australia calling  [message #63741 is a reply to message #63740] Sun, 12 September 2010 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

You've arrived at an interesting time, Des. The forum is in process of rebirth after quite a substantial period of disruption. I'm afraid you aren't seeing it at its best at present. It is getting back towards being able to achieve its original objectives, but that will only happen after the air has cleared.

Some reshuffling of armchairs is taking place. We need to find the pool table again. It seems to have been lost since it turned into a smoking lounge instead of an active free format pseudo-organisation.

At least we still have the free bar.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Australia calling  [message #63742 is a reply to message #63741] Sun, 12 September 2010 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Thanks timmy, Having served some time as a site admin, I know it is wise to allow the armchairs to shift around. Some get too close to the fire, and others are left out in the cold.

The web is an interesting place if we realise that it isn't here just for us, but for everyone. Listening to the arguments of others without being argumentative is a learning experience that challenges us all on occasion, but exchanging differing views with objectivity is always worthwhile, especially if presented with a little passion.

I look forward to hopefully contributing to the discussions even if it is only to keep the bar open. Smile

DesDownunder

Call me naive if you want, but life without trust in the goodness of others would be intolerable.

Re: Australia calling  [message #63743 is a reply to message #63742] Sun, 12 September 2010 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

One of the things people often find strange is that I insist that debate is not undertaken, but discussion is participated in.

In debate there are sides taken. Recently we appear to have had a rash of "well said, Norman" posts, something that is against the ethos here. Debates create winners and losers.

In a discussion one may build on Norman's point and argue for it without either scoring team points or looking like one's nose has turned repulsively brown.

So many folk fail to understand that we who post are not as important as we believe. We just happen to post, is all.

We don't keep Fosters in the bar. If you need some better bring some!

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
What no Fosters? Then again, you wouldn't be doing that ...  [message #63745 is a reply to message #63743] Sun, 12 September 2010 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

... as a matter of principle, this venue having only a "Juice" Bar, we being ever mindful of the youngsters in our midst.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

"... comme recherché qu'un délice callipygian"
Who left that door open?  [message #63747 is a reply to message #63745] Sun, 12 September 2010 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kiwi is currently offline  kiwi

Likes it here

Another Aussie got in! Oh Gawd :-/

Seriously - G'day Des, welcome to the site with the real awesomedudes. Great to see you here.

cheers

Commas matter - 'Party on Dudes' is not the same as 'Party on, Dudes'
Re: Australia calling  [message #63751 is a reply to message #63743] Sun, 12 September 2010 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Yes timmy, I agree debates do encourage winners and losers, whereas discussion has the object of exchanging views and the sharing of thoughts even when they are of an opposing nature, perhaps especially, when they oppose each other because that might give rise to a questioning attitude of one's own views and thoughts.

Intrinsic in this process of discussion is the consideration of other views, the sharing of information, facts, anecdotes and even theories, all up for examination in the hope of a glimmer of reality which we may judge as appropriate to our own individual circumstance.

If that reality should dispel some notion of mine in favour of another's more astute point of view, I consider myself richer because of it, and by no means a loser. However the object is not competitive persuasion, but simply, sharing awareness and information; of thoughtfulness. Such I think is the stuff of winners.

I'm afraid I am a very bad Aussie as I loathe beer and have reached an age where even a brandy is not wise, but I have some rich aromatic, filtered coffee, sweetened with honey from the Australian outback.

DesDownunder

Re: Who left that door open?  [message #63752 is a reply to message #63747] Sun, 12 September 2010 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Warren C. E. Austin, Can I call you Warren for short?

Kiwi of New Zealand...hmmm Hope you missed out on the earthquake, but I'm sure the earth moves for you regularly. Very Happy

Thanks to you both for the welcome.

DesDownunder

icon14.gif Re: Who left that door open?  [message #63755 is a reply to message #63752] Sun, 12 September 2010 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

DesDownunder, welcome aboard. It always heartens me to see that Timmy's site has such a long global reach. A perfectly selfish attitude on my part as I post on his story shelf. And that reminds me:

I have a friend who emigrated to Australia many years ago and once there went to work for the phone company in Sydney. His job was to edit the telephone directory, but he would rather spend his time in search of a place to play his guitar and get free drinks.

He found himself in a bit of trouble and unable to pay his debts so the creditors began to call. In a stroke of pure genius he went through the directory and removed all notice of his phone number. No phone number, no calls, he though it a grand idea.

Several months later he received a registered letter from the phone company offices. It seems there had been a personnel matter to which he had negelected to attend and was thus fired. The letter was kind but clearly stated that they had been trying to reach him except they couldn't find his phone number. ;-D

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Re: Who left that door open?  [message #63756 is a reply to message #63755] Sun, 12 September 2010 19:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Thanks for the welcome Chris James,

I confess it wasn't me who got fired. Well, not at that job anyway.
My only relationship with the phone company is to be ripped off every month.

I have hit troubled finances myself, and am hoping to find a tree in the local park with broadband connection to the Internet. I don't like my chances.
Sad)

DesDownunder

Re: What no Fosters? Then again, you wouldn't be doing that ...  [message #63757 is a reply to message #63745] Sun, 12 September 2010 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Hahahaha I teach responsible drinking, not prohibition. This is not the regulated US society here, you know.

Wo0t!  [message #63759 is a reply to message #63740] Sun, 12 September 2010 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CallMePaul is currently offline  CallMePaul

Really getting into it

Hiya, Des, and welcome. Smile

Your insightful posts on other forums have always been welcome. I love your ability to reason. I also love your ability to write.

And I know it was difficult navigating those Australian roads to get here. But I'm sure glad to see you.

Photobucket

Youth crisis hot-line 866-488-7386, 24 hr (U.S.A.)
There are people who want to help you cope with being you.
Re: Wo0t!  [message #63760 is a reply to message #63759] Sun, 12 September 2010 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

˙ǝɹǝɥ dn ʎɐʍ ʇɥƃıɹ ǝɥʇ ǝɹ,ǝʍ uǝɥʇ ʇnq ǝɹǝɥ ƃuıʇʇǝƃ ǝlqnoɹʇ ʎuɐ ǝʌɐɥ ʇ,upıp I

˙spɹoʍ puıʞ ɹnoʎ puɐ ǝɯoɔlǝʍ ǝɥʇ ɹoɟ sʞuɐɥ┴
'lnɐԀ ʎɐp,פ

DesDownunder

Frightfully clever that!  [message #63761 is a reply to message #63760] Sun, 12 September 2010 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

As it is not a "image", I would dearly love to know just how you were able to effect it?

I accept that it is a "Unicode" trick by all the ampersand, colon and alpha numeric shit, and all; but enquiring minds still would, and should, want to know.

And by means call me "Warren" or "TGD" or whatever all else you bloody well have a mind to; I answer to most anything just so long as it's not "Hey You!"

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

[Updated on: Sun, 12 September 2010 21:11]

"... comme recherché qu'un délice callipygian"
Re: Wo0t!  [message #63762 is a reply to message #63760] Sun, 12 September 2010 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

Hi Des or is it Mr Downunder?

I now appreciate the fact that I worked in a newsagent as a boy.

Hugs
Nigel

[Updated on: Sun, 12 September 2010 21:14]

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: Wo0t!  [message #63763 is a reply to message #63762] Sun, 12 September 2010 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

I appreciate the fact that you didn't work in a newsagent as a girl.

Wink

DesDownunder

Re: Frightfully clever that!  [message #63764 is a reply to message #63761] Sun, 12 September 2010 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

It's a cute trick and is easy. Just go to http://www.upsidedowntext.com/

Type in the upper box and the upside down text will appear in the bottom.

Simply highlight the text and copy, then paste wherever you wish to use it.

DesDownunder

Re: Wo0t!  [message #63765 is a reply to message #63762] Sun, 12 September 2010 21:48 Go to previous message

Likes it here

Sorry, Nigel I forgot to say that Des is fine. ;-D

Had to edit to correctly insert Nigel. Humble apologies. :-/

[Updated on: Sun, 12 September 2010 21:52]

DesDownunder

Previous Topic: These cats can sing!
Next Topic: I Give A Damn...Do You?
Goto Forum: