A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Age has not been kind to him
Age has not been kind to him  [message #64053] Sun, 26 September 2010 20:05 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

http://tinyurl.com/37nf368

It's a distinguished face, but so prematurely old

[Updated on: Sun, 26 September 2010 20:12]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Age has not been kind to him  [message #64054 is a reply to message #64053] Sun, 26 September 2010 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

Perhaps these two pictures are more representative as he has been heavily made up for the photographer's pose. He is 55 years old.

Hugs
N

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: Age has not been kind to him  [message #64056 is a reply to message #64054] Sun, 26 September 2010 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Age still has not been kind to him

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
icon7.gif Re: Age has not been kind to him  [message #64057 is a reply to message #64056] Sun, 26 September 2010 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

Still, Timmy, as a young lad in the film, Death in Venice (as if you don't know), he fulfilled the image for that role quite well. In my poor drooling estimation.

Your video explains itself, the director was looking for an image not an actor.

I have heard comments that he was older than the author's concept in the book. But all those years ago there was little in the way of young male beauty in films.

The photos Nigel has shared don't surprise me. I think we often see that the graceful youth ages poorly, must be the price paid for youthful looks. Mother Nature can be a cruel bitch. :-/

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Re: Age has not been kind to him  [message #64058 is a reply to message #64057] Sun, 26 September 2010 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Andresen hated the adulation of DinV and the japanese pedestal he was placed on and went on to sabotage his career very successfully. The face today looks like that of a heavy smoker.

Re: Age has not been kind to him  [message #64059 is a reply to message #64058] Sun, 26 September 2010 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

After 'Death In Venice' he did everything he could to prevent himself from being typecast in homosexual roles.

Visconti enhanced the homosexual role of Tadzio in his film. In Th Mann's original Novelle the nearest he came to homosexuality was kissing an Italian boy on the beach, and that was on the cheek.

Traditionally kissing in public in Italy was illegal. I don't know if that is still true today.

Hugs
N

Re: Age has not been kind to him  [message #64060 is a reply to message #64057] Sun, 26 September 2010 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

The real life Tadzio whom Th Mann came across in 1911, a year prior to the publication of his 'Der Tod in Venedig', was only ten years old.

Hugs
N

Re: Age has not been kind to him  [message #64061 is a reply to message #64059] Sun, 26 September 2010 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

If one analyses the boy's reaction to the film and his distaste for being adored for his looks, it is quite possible to think that the casting couch may have come into play. The boy was poorly advised after the film. And possibly poorly advised to go near Visconti in the first place

Re: Age has not been kind to him  [message #64062 is a reply to message #64059] Sun, 26 September 2010 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

I can see that those around him in the film were less than considerate of his age. Like many I was taken by the image then. Now there are many young men of consderable beauty in films. A good interview:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2003/oct/16/gender.film

Andresen is kind enough to state that he doesn't feel homophobic despite what was done to him during the film production.

Looking back I have to agree that beauty is not always an asset to a career or life. Look at the tragedy of Marylin Monroe, she would have understood his plight.

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Re: Age has not been kind to him  [message #64063 is a reply to message #64053] Mon, 27 September 2010 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Benji is currently offline  Benji

Likes it here

I have never seen this nor heard of Bjorn before, but then again maybe it was because I was overseas from '69-'73. I watched the short film, and found it interesting, it appeared to me that inasmuch the older Brit or American was enthralled with the young man, the boy was flirting with him from afar. It was painfully pathetic of his actions at a seduction in the end ending in his demise for what he couldn't have. Just my take on it.

On to the young actor, he was clearly used in making this short film, and it appeared to have cost him a lot late on. I feel sorry for him, this movie followed him as noted by another poster here, not unlike that of Marlyn Monroe.
The filmed-short ...  [message #64064 is a reply to message #64063] Mon, 27 September 2010 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

.. is an except taken from the 1970 Visconti produced "Making of ... " vidéo originally aired on Italian Television in, I believe it was, June of that year as advance publicity for his then forthcoming 1971 movie "Morte À Venezia", and subsequently retitled "A La Recherche De Tadeo" by French director Étienne Faure for inclusion on the DvD commemorative releases.

Unfortunately the entire vidéo, as originally produced by Viscont, appears to have been lost to the mists of time, and survives only through this "clip" featuring Björn Andrésen's "final" casting call with Visconti and the Faure rendition which features only three-minutes of this same segment; equally unfortunate is that the "clip" is the only extant copy known of the entire casting call, and only exists with what appears to likely be either Japanese or Chinese sub-titles.

Openly gay British screen and stage icon Dirk Bogarte was cast in the lead role at the outset of planning for the film, with much ballyhooed drama centering around Visconti's choice. The role of Tadeo was the stuff legends are made of, culminating in a World-wide search for a youth to portray Visconti's vision of just what the he should embody. Björn Andrésen was looked at three times throughout the entire process, with Visconti deciding only after a final meeting which took place in Sweden in late April, or early May of 1970.

An additional historical note about the film:

Filming of the movie was undertaken, using technology developed for the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, which provided for the shooting of alternate scenes of Visconti's movie firstly in English, secondly Italian and thirdly French. Each scene was subsequently dubbed in each of the alternative languages by the entire cast, and the film then blended to create the three "released" language versions. The blended filming created final product which fostered the illusion that each print was originally filmed entirely in each of the three languages, it being almost next to impossible to detect the dubbing process. This technology is used to this day for all Canadian produced original Television production enabling the simultaneous, and seamless, broadcast of programming in both official languages (English and French) with no discernible difference between the two. Visconti learned of this process from an associate who had worked for Radio Canada in the late 1960's and drew his attention to it. It is seldom used anywhere outside of Canada because it is prohibitively expensive.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

[Updated on: Mon, 27 September 2010 02:42]

"... comme recherché qu'un délice callipygian"
The original Tadzio  [message #64067 is a reply to message #64060] Mon, 27 September 2010 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Wladyslaw Moes was born on the 17 November 1900 in Wierbka. Wierbka is a village in Southern Poland, but at the time it would have been in Silesia in the Second German Empire. He died in 1986.

Hugs
N

Re: Age has not been kind to him  [message #64097 is a reply to message #64063] Tue, 28 September 2010 04:19 Go to previous message
ray2x is currently offline  ray2x

Really getting into it

He wasn't kind to himself.

Raymundo
Previous Topic: What Will You Lose?
Next Topic: The following "narrative" made the rounds ...
Goto Forum: