A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Bullying Is Wrong! There Is NO Excuse!
icon4.gif Bullying Is Wrong! There Is NO Excuse!  [message #64093] Tue, 28 September 2010 02:25 Go to next message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

If you're a young person reading this article, please note that there are people who can and will help you. Do not remain silent, and do not think that bullying behaviour is acceptable, it's not.

There is help out there for you.

In the United States: http://www.thetrevorproject.org/
Phone: 866 4-U-Trevor

In Canada: http://www.stopabully.ca/

In The UK: http://www.anti-bullyingalliance.org.uk/tackling_bullying_behaviour/themed_resources/homophobic_bullying.aspx

Here's a reason adults need to be proactive and youngsters MUST be aware:

FINDLAY, Ohio - A Glenwood Middle School student says his arm was broken by two classmates who were bullying him because he's a cheerleader.

Tyler Wilson, 11, wanted to be a cheerleader because he likes to jump and tumble. "I was kinda nervous cause I didn't know anything," said Tyler. "I didn't want to feel... well, because I'm a boy and stuff."

Tyler joined the Findlay Steelers this fall. The city youth football program is unaffiliated with his school, but it was at school where Tyler says he was endlessly bullied by some players from another team. "They were saying that I was a sissy and a queer and stuff like that," said Tyler.

After school on August 31st, Tyler says he was walking home and was repeatedly called names, hit and even knocked down by two students who also broke his arm.

Tyler's mom warned her son that he could be teased, but she didn't want to stop him from trying out. "No, I'm not gonna tell him not to do it if it's something that he's interested in, I want him to enjoy whatever he can enjoy in life," said Kristy Wilson.

According to Kristy, her son lied about what happened to his arm when he came home from school. A doctor informed her of the severity of his injury and once she learned the truth, she called the police. "The police officer did warn me," said Kristy, "These kids are young, I don't know for sure if they'll get prosecuted but in my opinion, because it's a broken bone, he said, I think the prosecutor will take it a little bit more seriously, he said, I am gonna recommend charges."

The police investigation is complete and Kristy just found out the two students could be punished for the actions by the county prosecutor.

Tyler says the teasing hasn't stopped at school, but the football players on the team he cheers for just sent him a card. "It's signed by all the players and the coaches and that's kinda, most likely, it, but some of them wrote down their numbers and it says 'you can do it.'"

Tyler may need surgery, but he continues to stand with his squad on the sidelines and he plans to continue cheering once he recovers. "So I can make a lifestyle out of it and end-up like other boys who are getting full-ride scholarships," said Tyler.

According to Tyler's school principal, any of the bullying that happened on school property is being dealt with by the district, but anything off-campus will be handled by the prosecutor.

The Hancock County Prosecutor was unavailable for a comment.

Brody, you missed one very important agency ...  [message #64094 is a reply to message #64093] Tue, 28 September 2010 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

... in the round-up of the few most significantly active in North America amongst those you listed; namely, "Kid's Help Phone", a Canada-wide Charitable Foundation which runs a series of very pro-active television advertisements in all markets at all hours of the day.

They may be found, as follows, at their You Tube Channel, currently featuring their latest creative In Memoriam of Jack Windeler, a first year student at Queen's University, who suicided on March 27, 2010, and highlighting one of the many services (but, unrelated to the topic at hand) which they offer to our youth:

http://www.youtube.com/user/KidsHelpPhone

----------

In addition, I provide links to several of their earliest (and arguably most successful) commercials:

The Chase

Bullying - The Hallway

Bullying - The Washroom

The Bully

Alone in the Crowd

----------

Further, a "search" at You Tube, using the following link (and embedded parameters) will yield a myriad number of user created spots, many school and student-body sponsored, uploaded especially in support of Kid's Help Phone.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Kid's+Help+Phone+Bullying&aq=f

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

[Updated on: Tue, 28 September 2010 04:00]

"... comme recherché qu'un délice callipygian"
Re: Brody, you missed one very important agency ...  [message #64095 is a reply to message #64094] Tue, 28 September 2010 04:09 Go to previous message
ray2x is currently offline  ray2x

Really getting into it

It's good to know that my adults with disabilities students know about what bullying is. The problem is they don't quite understand that they can do something to help stop bullying. I've been holding brief classes about bullying and bringing in news articles about bullying in schools especially the more recent incident about bullying. It's slow to describe to them what bullying does to young and old people. And some have remembered how they were bullied when they were in school.

Raymundo
Previous Topic: Blatant latent homophobia
Next Topic: What Will You Lose?
Goto Forum: