A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > International day of non-violence
International day of non-violence  [message #64175] Sat, 02 October 2010 20:30 Go to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

Today - 2nd October - is the agreed International Day of Non-Violence (chosen because it was the birthday of Gandhi).

Whether we are pacifist or not, and whatever our personal views on military matters, it seems a suitable day to reflect on the extreme violence against self that suicide represents, and ask ourselves what more each of us can do to help prevent people - especially gay teens - taking their own lives in despair.

Good thoughts to all those who have posted here recently about actions they are taking, urging others to follow.

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: International day of non-violence  [message #64183 is a reply to message #64175] Sat, 02 October 2010 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I respect the day. I find it hard to comply with all it means. And I am reflecting as you asked.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
I have been looking for a heading  [message #64201 is a reply to message #64175] Mon, 04 October 2010 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

There are some days when you just know that there is a correct heading to post something under. This is the best here today.

I make no apology for asking you to visit this link. Here we preach to the choir almost all the time. Out there we try to reach someone else. Out there telling your friends about a link is "acceptable" when in here it may not be. Out there you may not be out but may be able to pass a message on.

I ask you to pass the message on. I ask you to reblog the message with any appropriate additions you think will fit. It is licenced under the Creative Commons licence, it just requires attribution.

http://tinyurl.com/27949lt

[Updated on: Mon, 04 October 2010 08:03]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: I have been looking for a heading  [message #64202 is a reply to message #64201] Mon, 04 October 2010 08:35 Go to previous message
JFR is currently offline  JFR

On fire!

I have posted Timmy's excellent piece elsewhere as requested.

Three thoughts that occur to me in this connection:

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. [Edmund Burke, 18th Century]

It is not up to you to finish the task but neither are you free to desist from it. [Rabbi Tarfon, 2nd Century]

There are many ways to fight the good fight without resorting to physical violence. [JFR]

J F R

[Updated on: Mon, 04 October 2010 08:35]

The paradox has often been noted that the United States, founded in secularism, is now the most religiose country in Christendom, while England, with an established church headed by its constitutional monarch, is among the least. (Richard Dawkins, 2006)
Previous Topic: Why is the USA in the forefront of bullycide?
Next Topic: Folks, I really need you to be PROACTIVE here.
Goto Forum: