A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Gay-bashing front-page only when by straight white males?
Gay-bashing front-page only when by straight white males?  [message #64319] Sun, 10 October 2010 18:34 Go to next message
attatood.too is currently offline  attatood.too

Likes it here

I read an article this morning that states "Gay-bashing is front-page news only when it’s committed by a straight, white male." I never quite thought about that before, but now that I have, it seems to be true. Almost everything we read about such bullying and gay-bashing is committed by straight white males. Any opinions?

(Article located here: http://tinyurl.com/2f5qnmc )

-Peter

I prefer guys that don't come in a box.
Re: Gay-bashing front-page only when by straight white males?  [message #64320 is a reply to message #64319] Sun, 10 October 2010 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I find this article needs to be verified by a local.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Well ... ?  [message #64321 is a reply to message #64320] Sun, 10 October 2010 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

The newspaper which has published the article is Canada's second largest Media Combine, The Sun Media Publish Group, with "Sun" Newspapers in 7 major Canadian cities, and a dozen or more in the U.S.A., owned by McLean-Hunter, Inc., they themselves owned by Rogers Communications Corp., Canada's largest cable television provider.

I don't think it's likely that we could question the article itself. Are you questioning the sources or it's attribution?

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

"... comme recherché qu'un délice callipygian"
Re: Well ... ?  [message #64322 is a reply to message #64321] Sun, 10 October 2010 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Something in my water says it is not as factual as it might be. Looking at the comments it appears to be targeted at a bigoted community, something I don't usually associate with Canada.

The article makes it clear that papers are nervous of carrying this material. However that also looks like explaining away an article that may be biased.

So I'd like someone in The Netherlands to validate what it says. I tend not to believe popular articles Smile

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Well ... ? You're Spot On Tim- Question THIS Source  [message #64324 is a reply to message #64322] Sun, 10 October 2010 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

Not to inflame poor Warren's passions & defence of the Canadian outlet that published this article, BUT, the source material was from QMI Agency (Quebec Media, Inc. Agency) which handles all text and photographs generated from Quebec sources. Sun Media credits will be used for all shared text and photographs from outside Quebec.

Here's the problem, QMI has a less than stellar reputation for accuracy in their collective reporting and the author of this piece is no fan of Islam and has as much stated in numerous Op-Eds over the years.

Here's what a source & colleague at The Globe & Mail said confidentially to me:
Brody, consider this for a moment- translations from French to English for publication in English newspapers.? We have read Quebecor content translated to English and it can be erratic.

QMI stories are riddled with horrific grammatical errors and some barely literate ones, such as, in this story about: "Missing men baffle Montreal police"...

QMI has really started to produce some of the most poorly-written journalism in recent months. One of the biggest issues I have is with the link titles on-line either being misleading or simply wrong. Example: “Emergency Landing at T.O. Airport”. Click on the link and it states clearly that the problems developed after the landing; this is not an emergency landing! Or the countless quotations that end with something like “said Mr. Smith”, without ever telling us who Mr. Smith is! Shoddy writing.

So, I'd really want verification from one of the Dutch Media organisations long before I'd put serious stock in a QMI piece.
Re: Well ... ?  [message #64325 is a reply to message #64322] Mon, 11 October 2010 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
E.J. is currently offline  E.J.

Really getting into it

Most links in a google search are just quoting the above article. however, some older links to a local news site verify SOME of the information.

http://www.dutchamsterdam.nl/902-gay-man-violently-attacked-in-amsterdam

http://www.dutchamsterdam.nl/706-gay-bashing-victim-amsterdam

even older UK link
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article522264.ece

but apparently the attackers aren't all Muslim
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=4a68df9c-e220-4200-b209-dab7ea67f23c&k=25887

(\\__/) And if you don't believe The sun will rise
(='.'=) Stand alone and greet The coming night
(")_(") In the last remaining light. (C. Cornell)
OK ... so you're questioning the source and attribution ...  [message #64326 is a reply to message #64322] Mon, 11 October 2010 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

... not the paper or the publishing group.

That is fair enough; especially given that Sun Media unlike, Thompson Corporation (Reuters, Canadian Press), has been known to be culturally biased in it's news-coverage in prior years, although admittedly not the past half-dozen or so, and especially since Rogers purchased them and folded them into their McLean-Hunter Holdings. The Sun Group prints only tabloid-style papers, whereas Thompson publishes broad-sheets like the aforementioned Globe and Mail in Brody's response. The two would be comparable to any number of similar papers published in The U.K. each with their targeted audience. The Sun is blue-collar, whereas the The Globe is upperly-mobile mainstream and business.

Comparative Quebec papers would be Le Matin and The Gazette or Le Devoir; the former a tabloid, the latter two broad-sheets.

Sandwiched in between would be The National Post, all that remains to this day of the Southam Group (but now owned by CanWest Global Media, or at the least it still is for a few more weeks when it will be taken private in a employee buyout designed to rescue the paper in the midst of CanWest's financial troubles since their purchase of of both Alliance-Atlantis and LionsGate last year) which is primarily a business paper, in tabloid format.

Thompson, since acquiring both Reuters and Canadian Press, have all but divested their holdings in bricks and mortar news publishing, but as recent as 10-years ago was the World's Largest News Publishing Combine with some 800-papers Worldwide, including some of the biggest names in the industry. Thompson is best known in the U.K., for it's founder Lord Thompson of Fleet, North Sea Oil and the ITV, Granada and Channel Four Networks, holdings in which they to this day continue to have some financial interest. In addition, in a joint venture with the Bronfmans', the two families control EMI-BMG the world's largest entertainment rights organization, although Viacom (the French government's entertainment subsidiary) has a small interest in the latter as well as their ownership of Paramount, Here!, Nickelodean, Logo (and 365gay.com) amongst others, which the Bronfman subsidiary, Gulf+Western, sold them in the very early 1980's, when the Bronfmans were (for the second time around) divesting themselves of all their entertainment holdings in Hollywood. The Bronfmans incidentally are now in their third go round in Hollywood, owning, or controlling, Time/Warner/7-Arts, Turner, MGM/United Artists, HBO, Showtime, CNN, and God only knows what else. Prior to their sale of Paramount, the Bronfmans at one point during the 1970's owned all of the Hollywood studios with the exceptions being Columbia, which William Paley apparently wouldn't sell to them because they were Jewish and Twentieth Century-Fox which Rupert Murdock outbid them for when it was on the auction block in 1976. The sale of Paramount coincided with a similar sale of MCA/Universal to GE Capital Corp, which in turn has changed hands at least four times I know of since the Bronfmans' ownership in the 70's. and is likely going to be owned by Comcast if the most recent sale is approved later this year.

The Globe and Mail, to the best of my knowledge, is the sole remaining newspaper the Thompson family have any financial interest remaining; but, only as a the non-operating partner in CTV/Globe Media, which was initially designed, and styled, as a joint venture between the Thompsons and BCE Enterprises (Bell Canada) when the Eaton family divested themselves of their holdings in Baton Broadcasting and The Canadian Television Network 10-years ago.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

[Updated on: Mon, 11 October 2010 05:17]

Re: Well ... ?  [message #64327 is a reply to message #64325] Mon, 11 October 2010 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Thank you for these links E.J.

Excellent links ...  [message #64328 is a reply to message #64325] Mon, 11 October 2010 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

.. and deserved, and much needed clarification.

Thank you.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

Re: Well ... ?  [message #64329 is a reply to message #64325] Mon, 11 October 2010 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

With those links it seems that the original article was conflating several incidents to foment hatred of muslims.

Re: Well ... ?  [message #64332 is a reply to message #64329] Mon, 11 October 2010 15:24 Go to previous message

Likes it here

I have to agree with you Timmy. I guess that just because it is written, doesn't make it "gospel" huh? It never ceases to amaze me how the media can manipulate things to influence the people into their way of thinking. I sometimes think that the media has more control over people and events than the government has. :-/

Previous Topic: As we head towards "Coming Out Day"
Next Topic: It Gets Better
Goto Forum: