A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > In Memoriam To A Gentle Spirit * Matthew Shepard
In Memoriam To A Gentle Spirit * Matthew Shepard  [message #64337] Tue, 12 October 2010 13:39 Go to next message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

No Message Body
Re: In Memoriam To A Gentle Spirit * Matthew Shepard  [message #64339 is a reply to message #64337] Tue, 12 October 2010 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Some memories are even harder when the victim was also good looking. But his looks and the ghastly treatment meted out to him have had some positives. Not for him, obviously. But he is well fitted to be the poster child against hate crimes, a term I hate yet understand.

If I believed in a heaven I would expect him to look down and approve of how his name and image is being used.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: In Memoriam To A Gentle Spirit * Matthew Shepard  [message #64343 is a reply to message #64337] Wed, 13 October 2010 12:02 Go to previous message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

I still find myself thinking about Matthew, even as we endure this latest wave of young suicides. The brutality of his death and the aftermath is symbolic to me of the way too many in the straight community view gay people.

If there is one shining example of hope in all of this it is the way Matthew's mother has stepped up and spoken out. Judy Shepard is a woman driven, by her grief and the need she sees for our society to make drastic changes. She is my role model for a person of courage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1JiN4IcyvA

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Previous Topic: European Rednecks...
Next Topic: Let's do be careful what we eat....
Goto Forum: