A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Texas City Councilman Reaches Out to LGBT Teens
icon14.gif Texas City Councilman Reaches Out to LGBT Teens  [message #64349] Thu, 14 October 2010 13:49 Go to next message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

By Brody Levesque (Washington DC) OCT 14 | An openly Gay City Councilman from Ft.Worth, Texas, Joel Burns broke down in tears Tuesday during a meeting of the City's Council as he related his own bullying at the hands of Anti-Gay peers and others when he attended high school.

[Updated on: Thu, 14 October 2010 13:59]

Really, and truly, powerful stuff. ...  [message #64351 is a reply to message #64349] Thu, 14 October 2010 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

... and not a dry eye in my house this morning as my eldest son Alan, my teen-aged ward Ryan, and I experienced Councilman Joel Burn's heartfelt anguish for the fallen victims of bullying in recent weeks.

Of all the "It Get's Better" vidéos I've screened, this is likely going to be "the one" that has the greatest impact amongst elected representatives all over America.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

"... comme recherché qu'un délice callipygian"
Make this go WIDE  [message #64353 is a reply to message #64349] Thu, 14 October 2010 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

This video must go far and wide.

Those of you who are able, please blog it, find it on youtube and tweet it, share it on facebook, use myspace, and get it out there further and further.

It is by the number of views that the speaker will see he is appreciates. And by the number of Likes.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Already been there, done that, and presently ....  [message #64354 is a reply to message #64353] Thu, 14 October 2010 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

... writing a forthcoming article on this vidéo on my own personal Blog.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

"... comme recherché qu'un délice callipygian"
Re: Texas City Councilman Reaches Out to LGBT Teens  [message #64377 is a reply to message #64349] Sat, 16 October 2010 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

This is a powerful message and one that cannot be ignored. The image of Joel Burns is all over the national television news and cable discussion programs....exactly where it needs to be. This is what it means to be a gay hero...a super-hero.

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Re: Texas City Councilman Reaches Out to LGBT Teens  [message #64378 is a reply to message #64377] Sat, 16 October 2010 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Looks to me like Dan Savage bought the gun, bought the ammunition, loaded the gun and aimed it. Joel stood up, well sat down, really, and pulled that trigger.

He displays compassion while, at the same time, showing his hatred of bullies just in his tears.

If he hadn't wept he would not have made prime time.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Texas City Councilman Reaches Out to LGBT Teens  [message #64381 is a reply to message #64349] Sat, 16 October 2010 22:42 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

Joel Burns interviewed later.

Previous Topic: Just another piece of hate speech...
Next Topic: A question of focus on bullying...
Goto Forum: