A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > A Pastor Sent Me This- Please Read It Carefully!
icon4.gif A Pastor Sent Me This- Please Read It Carefully!  [message #64604] Sat, 30 October 2010 15:02 Go to next message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

I was sent this by Dr. & Rev. Fritz Ritsch who is pastor of St. Stephen Presbyterian Church in Fort Worth, Texas. He notes that it previously ran as a guest column in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram newspaper a week ago.
Ft. Worth is also home to openly gay city-councilman Joel Burns, whose extremely personal & emotional speech before the Ft. Worth city council went viral and touched countless millions around the globe.

Dr. Ritsch writes:

When I was pastor of a rural Virginia church in the early 1990s, I performed the funeral of a young gay man, a member of the church, who'd died from hepatitis contracted from needle exchange. If that hadn't killed him, though, AIDS would have. It wasn't suicide, but it might as well have been, because his self-destructive path had started with being bullied, teased and demeaned as a teenager -- at that very church.

Last April, I participated in a clergy panel for the Texas Freedom Network, a gay and lesbian rights organization. I was humbled as audience members told shocking stories of religion-based prejudice and abuse. Still, they longed to return to church and find peace with God.
I've had it with the bullying that comes from the church's bully pulpit. Our history of denigrating gays and lesbians has provided the "godly" rationale for centuries of hatred and abuse. It's a flagrant violation of the Gospel. Moderate Christians -- the silent majority -- need to stop being silent and speak out.

My own denomination, the Presbyterian Church USA, is considered one of the most liberal mainline denominations. But we have a rule that specifically excludes gays and lesbians from service as clergy or officers of the church. Most liberal churches will ordain divorced and remarried people without a second thought, yet Jesus speaks specifically against divorce and remarriage, e.g., Mark 9 -- whereas he says not one word about homosexuality. This is hypocrisy.
Fort Worth has an outstanding, openly gay City Council member, Joel Burns -- but in most churches Joel couldn't serve on the governing board. Clearly the residents of District 9 know something that entire Christian denominations need to learn.

It is true that throughout the Bible homosexual practice is denounced. But Christians down through the centuries have ignored, moderated or outright disavowed many biblical mandates when we felt they weren't in keeping with the Gospel. In the Old Testament, holiness rules condemn homosexual practice. They also direct us to stone disrespectful sons, forgo sex during menstruation and not to look at another person naked. We don't take those rules seriously. Why give rules about gays more credence?

In the New Testament, there are also condemnations of homosexuality. But the resounding New Testament message is that the commandment to love always trumps legalistic barriers that separate people from each other and from God.

Fundamentalist churches make the mistake of reading Scripture as a list of rules and regulations, which undermines the anti-legalistic message of the Gospel. But at least they have an excuse -- that's what they believe!
The mainline churches, on the other hand, have a long history of viewing Scripture as a living document whose specific mandates are trumped by the core message of the faith. Our anti-gay bias is therefore harder to justify -- and more insidious.

Most church members are hardly unkind people, but since the denominational policy is to make homosexuals second-class citizens, they fall into prejudice by default. They do not doubt that God loves gays and lesbians. The problem is a church culture whose rules exclude them from full participation. What message does that send to the church's teenagers who are struggling with their sexuality and self-image?

It doesn't help that Christian extremists dominate the airwaves, sidelining more moderate Christian voices. But too often, moderate voices sideline themselves, not wanting to rock the boat. The recent epidemic of bullying-related teen suicides is a wake-up call to us moderate Christians: We can't wait on the sidelines any longer. We have to speak out.

The Gospel message of God's love, grace and forgiveness has been corrupted by legalism. Some Christian leaders have blamed 9-11 and Hurricane Katrina on gays and lesbians. Some American pastors have actively supported Ugandan laws making homosexuality a capital offense. I've known mainline youth pastors, who should know better, who've tried to exorcise "gay demons" from their teenage charges.

These are extremes. They certainly aren't representative of most Christians. But these extremes color the perception of the church by outsiders.
Jesus once taught, "By their fruit you shall know them." To most unchurched Americans -- meaning most Americans -- the fruit of the church regarding homosexuality is bitter indeed. A Barna Group survey found that two-thirds of Americans believe that Christians "show contempt for gays and lesbians" ( Unchristian, Kinnamon and Lyons, Baker Books, 2007, p. 91). The survey found that Christians are generally perceived as arrogant and judgmental, and that many believe that people outside the church are more Christlike than people inside.

Most of the Christians I know do not judge people by their sexual orientation, but by the content of their character. But the bullying crisis has put a fine point on the need for moderates to challenge theological bullies from our own bully pulpit. We cannot equivocate. Children are dying. We need to speak up. If not now, when?

Rev. Dr. Ritsch has been the pastor of St. Stephen Presbyterian Church in Fort Worth, TX, for almost six years. He is a graduate of Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia and Union Theological Seminary in Richmond, VA. He has served both rural and urban churches in Virginia, Delaware, and most recently in Bethesda, MD. He writes regularly on matters of faith and politics for newspapers and church publications and is especially concerned that people see the intelligent, compassionate, and inclusive face of Christianity. Rev. Ritsch is married to Margaret and has two children, Sara, 18, and Bennie, 12.

Photo Courtesy of St. Stephen Presbyterian Church

[Updated on: Sat, 30 October 2010 15:03]

Re: A Pastor Sent Me This- Please Read It Carefully!  [message #64605 is a reply to message #64604] Sat, 30 October 2010 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

We don't have the software for a "Like" button.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
icon14.gif Re: A Pastor Sent Me This- Please Read It Carefully!  [message #64606 is a reply to message #64604] Sat, 30 October 2010 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

I may not embrace Christian theology but Pastor Ritsch's humanity is most welcome. I think we would all agree that changes in religious doctrine must come from within. They built it, let them tear it down.

As an athiest I still find it hard to believe that all this bile and hatred comes from one book, which in itself is filled with disagreement and disparaging remarks. Those who take the Bible literally as the word of God are the ones that need to change their way of thinking. Humility would be a good place to start.

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
icon14.gif Re: A Pastor Sent Me This- Please Read It Carefully!  [message #64607 is a reply to message #64604] Sat, 30 October 2010 15:35 Go to previous message
dartagnon is currently offline  dartagnon

Likes it here

Thank you for bringing this to us, Brody. With so much abuse heaped upon LGBT persons by fundamentalist christian groups who aren't acting very christian, it is good to know that there are persons of faith out in the world who are true to the message.

I believe the movie Dogma said it best. Changing a belief structure is hard. It's much better to just have a good idea.

"Dum spiro, spero," my brothers. "While I breathe, I hope."

It's not the wolf you see you should fear, but all the ones he howls with. Don't be afraid of the song, but don't piss off the choir.
Previous Topic: What do we understand about Trans folk?
Next Topic: In Case You Did Not Already Know
Goto Forum: