A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Its saturday and im going to talk with my dad about me.
Its saturday and im going to talk with my dad about me.  [message #6447] Sat, 07 December 2002 11:34 Go to next message
Guest is currently offline  Guest

On fire!

I was up allmost all night trying to think of a way to say all the things I want to say to them. I tried to guess how much about me I should tell them. After a long time I decided Im going to tell them everything. I hope I do it right. Someone here told me about a web site for kids that want to tell their parents they are gay. I have to help my dad get a load of wood and we will be gone most of the morning. I will talk with him then.
icon14.gif Good Luck! I hope it works out well!!  [message #6448 is a reply to message #6447] Sat, 07 December 2002 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
setras is currently offline  setras

Likes it here

No Message Body

That which is dreamed can never be lost, can never be undreamed.
-Master Li in Neil Gaiman's Sandman
Re: Its saturday and im going to talk with my dad about me.  [message #6449 is a reply to message #6447] Sat, 07 December 2002 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tim...of usa is currently offline  tim...of usa

Likes it here

good luck bro
and you cant do it "wrong" just be your self and take it slow you'll know what to say and how to say it.

i'll be keeping good thoughts for you (always am but more today)

peace
tim...of USA
Be gentle with him and yourself  [message #6450 is a reply to message #6447] Sat, 07 December 2002 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

just remember he has 10 seconds to understand what you have known all your life.

Go gentle, go slow, and let him know that he will just know oyu better. You are not different.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
icon7.gif Thinking of you  [message #6451 is a reply to message #6447] Sat, 07 December 2002 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toms is currently offline  toms

Likes it here

Drew, I know how it feels to debate telling your parents or not. I've wanted to tell them for a few weeks now, but I haven't been able to. It takes a LOT of bravery to do something like that. You're quite an extraordinary young man, Drew. Smile

Please let us know how it goes. We're all pulling for you.

-Tom Wink

"Whatever is sought for can be caught, you know,
whatever is neglected slips away."
Oedipus Rex, lines 126-127
And from me too. Brave lad!  [message #6452 is a reply to message #6448] Sat, 07 December 2002 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mike is currently offline  mike

Toe is in the water

No Message Body

Friendship is the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person, having neither to weigh thoughts or measure words
icon3.gif Support for your parents as you tell them is near!  [message #6453 is a reply to message #6451] Sat, 07 December 2002 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
david in hong kong is currently offline  david in hong kong

On fire!

Just as you have been going thru a process of "coming out" to yourself and others, your family will go through their own step-by-step adjustment process called, "Finding Out".

There is a wonderfully supportive International organization with thousands of local chapters. It's called Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays P-FLAG). Ii is a group made up of other parents of young people who have come out to them, and helps with the adjustments they will likely go thru after learning the news about you. I know they have a good web-site, maybe a Google search will find it for Drew...any volunteers to find it for him?

P-FLAG has also produced an excellent book for parents newly finding out, and it's called "Now that You Know". That is available in most local bookstores and also from Amazon.com for sure. Info about the book is also on their website.

I use the book in many client sessions (I am a shrink) where coming out is an issue. These are good people, very down to earth, supportive, and not full of psycho-babble.

Good luck with it, we'll all be thinking of you! Tell us what happens, ok?

"Always forgive your enemies...nothing annoys them quite so much." Oscar Wilde
Further Info Re Support for your parents!  [message #6454 is a reply to message #6453] Sat, 07 December 2002 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
david in hong kong is currently offline  david in hong kong

On fire!

I found the link to the P_FLAG website, plus along with 5,000 other hits for local chapters all over the place. Wherever you are located, Drew, there should be friendly and non-threatening groups of parents. The link is http://www.pflag.org/

Hope this is helpful...and timmy...maybe add it to your info pages and links, if it's not there already?

"Always forgive your enemies...nothing annoys them quite so much." Oscar Wilde
Waiting to hear  [message #6457 is a reply to message #6447] Sat, 07 December 2002 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smith is currently offline  smith

On fire!

Drew~
You are doing a good thing, for yourself and so that your family can know you again and help you. You are very brave and honest. Let us know how you are and how the day went.

{{{hugs}}}
smith
Re: Waiting to hear  [message #6458 is a reply to message #6457] Sun, 08 December 2002 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

We went for the wood this morning and I asked my dad if we could talk. He said he was waiting for a while for me to talk to him and he said my mom was too. At first I wasnt sure what he meant by that but when I tried to just come right out and say it I couldnt. He said to me that I could tell him anything no matter what it was.

I thought about it for a while then I just came out and said it. I thought I was going to puke but I didnt. When I said to him that I was gay he didnt say anything he didnt even move for a long time. After a while I said that it wasnt my fault and he said he knew it wasnt. then he started crying and that made me start crying. We spent the rest of the morning in a little resturant and we talked about everything. He said he thinks he knew all along but was waiting for me to be sure.

I think things are going to be ok. Now we have to tell mom. I hope it goes ok too. But this time at least dad said he would be with me.
icon14.gif Re: Waiting to hear  [message #6459 is a reply to message #6458] Sun, 08 December 2002 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the scholar is currently offline  the scholar

Toe is in the water

Drew

My name is Stephen and I am writing to say that I am so happy to hear that you were able to speak with your Dad and that he is going to support you when you speak to your Mom.

Telling your parents is such a big step and I am so proud of you for making this brave move.

I hope you will also be able to confide in them all of the problems you have been having at school and that you receive the love and support from them you deserve.

Stephen
icon14.gif Happy ending  [message #6462 is a reply to message #6458] Sun, 08 December 2002 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smith is currently offline  smith

On fire!

Hooray Drew Smile
I'm so happy that your dad gave you the support and love that you needed.
This will be so much help to you. He said he had been waiting for you to speak up. Isn't that something? He was respecting your privacy and yet wanting to know, so he could help. He sounds like a pretty great dad Smile
I know this is a huge weight off your shoulders. Relax a little this weekend........things will be better now with your dad in your corner.
{{{{hugs to a very brave guy}}}}
smith
Re: Waiting to hear  [message #6464 is a reply to message #6459] Sun, 08 December 2002 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

I talked with my dad about school and he said he will handle it. Im not sure what he meant but I know my dad when gets mad and he was mad.

I know who you are from reading things here Stephen. Im sorry about your friend.
Re: Waiting to hear  [message #6465 is a reply to message #6464] Sun, 08 December 2002 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the scholar is currently offline  the scholar

Toe is in the water

Thank you, Drew - that's very kind of you.

I am happy to hear that your dad "will handle it" - whatever it means, it can't make things any worse. A "mad" dad is a caring dad - rejoice in that, some aren't so lucky.

Stephen
icon7.gif Way to go, kiddo :)  [message #6466 is a reply to message #6458] Sun, 08 December 2002 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toms is currently offline  toms

Likes it here

Drew, your story really touched me. You are an amazing boy. You've stood up in the face of adversity and you've accepted yourself for who you are. We knew you had it in you all along. I think things will finally get better, Drew. They will. Smile

You've inspired other people who have been nervous about this very issue, myself included. Thank you. Smile

-Tom Wink

"Whatever is sought for can be caught, you know,
whatever is neglected slips away."
Oedipus Rex, lines 126-127
Re: Happy ending  [message #6467 is a reply to message #6462] Sun, 08 December 2002 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tim...of usa is currently offline  tim...of usa

Likes it here

drew,
i am sitting here in tears and if you have read anything i ever posted you might know i am one tough SOB.
i am so happy for you and jelious at the same time. i wish things with my dad went like your did.
i am so proud of you bro.

sorry cant type any more...lol...cant see the key board cause of the crying

peace
love
tim...of USA
icon7.gif Glad to hear it went well!!!  [message #6468 is a reply to message #6458] Sun, 08 December 2002 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
setras is currently offline  setras

Likes it here

No Message Body

That which is dreamed can never be lost, can never be undreamed.
-Master Li in Neil Gaiman's Sandman
I am so proud of you Andrew.  [message #6469 is a reply to message #6447] Sun, 08 December 2002 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marc is currently offline  marc

Needs to get a life!

Now be sure to give your father the URL's I E-Mailed you.

I don't think I have smiled this much since our civil union day.

Marc

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
icon14.gif Re: Waiting to hear  [message #6471 is a reply to message #6458] Sun, 08 December 2002 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

I got the same sick feeling when I told my friend. Everybody says it will be easier next time. (God I hope so).

Good job buddy

Brian
icon7.gif Congratulations and good luck.  [message #6473 is a reply to message #6447] Sun, 08 December 2002 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trevor is currently offline  trevor

Really getting into it

I too am so proud of you. I do think your dad will respect you even more for your bravery and trust in him. I know it isn't possible for everyone to come out to their parents when they are certain how negative the reaction will be, but it is almost always scary due to the uncertainty even with the most open-minded parents.

Here's a couple sites if they are useful. As a parent, the first really touched my heart. The second I just now found accidentally while searching for the first:

http://www.familyacceptance.com
http://members.tripod.com/gayresources

I do think, generally speaking, mothers are probably more likely to accept gay sons than fathers, just because they are wired to nurture and care for their kids and don't have the macho crap going on. If Dad says she has been waiting, it won't be a total surprise. That she would consider the possibility means she has been paying attention to you and isn't totally ignorant.

Even if it's not a total surprise, the news will take awhile to sink in, then awhile for real acceptance.

God will hear my thanks for clearing your first hurdle and my prayers for the second.
The next bit is going to feel odd  [message #6474 is a reply to message #6458] Sun, 08 December 2002 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

You just did something HUGE, and did it well. And your dad is a true dad.

The next thing is this is going to feel like a big anticlimax.

Be prepared to feel weepy and euphoric at the same time. It goes with the territory. Be prepared to feel that you want to tell the world. Do NOT do this unless and until you are ready.

Take time to get to know your parents again, properly. Let them get to know you. Be prepared for all sorts of questions about HIV, AIDS, safe sex, casual sex. Do NOT be offended by any of it. Use it all as a chance to educate your parents and to learn yourself.

Show them how much you understand about you and how much you have to learn as well.

Well done Drew. If I may hug you?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
icon14.gif Congradulations!  [message #6475 is a reply to message #6447] Sun, 08 December 2002 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mt is currently offline  mt

Toe is in the water

No Message Body
icon7.gif Awesome... Just awesome.  [message #6476 is a reply to message #6458] Sun, 08 December 2002 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lenny is currently offline  lenny

On fire!

You're really brave, which I admire tremendously, and I do so hope this is the start for things getting better for you. Your dad seems to be a good dad, and I hope your mom will be good to you too when you tell her.

I wish you ALL the best. Take care!

-L

"But he that hath the steerage of my course,
direct my sail."

-William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, Act One, Scene IV
icon14.gif An example to follow  [message #6479 is a reply to message #6458] Sun, 08 December 2002 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
charlie is currently offline  charlie

Really getting into it

Hugs to you Drew! I am very happy for you, and, like Tim, it brought tears to my eyes, but for different reasons. I guess I am a sap for happy endings (although this is not really and ending but a beginning).

Please continue to post with your feelings and experiences. I am sure that those words WILL help another out there who is going through the same struggles. And hopefully give them the courage to face their problems with head held high as you did.

Hugs, Charlie
icon7.gif Re: Waiting to hear  [message #6480 is a reply to message #6458] Sun, 08 December 2002 22:19 Go to previous message
e is currently offline  e

On fire!

That's wonderful. You've got a really great dad. Good luck with your mom.

Think good thoughts,
e
Previous Topic: "CLOUDS OF GLORY"
Next Topic: I'm not sure what to do
Goto Forum: