A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > This is unacceptable
icon13.gif This is unacceptable  [message #64954] Sun, 21 November 2010 04:03 Go to next message
laheyin is currently offline  laheyin

Getting started

(This is my first post here, so bear with me, guys)

Recently, The United Nations has repealed a mandate which classifies systematic killing of LGBT peoples as genocide. This is absolutely unacceptable. Even though we don't hear about it often in the West, there are indeed many places in which to be gay/lesbian/bisexual is to be dead, like Iran, Yemen, and Guyana. It's indeed disturbing that the problem with the world now is that we are not only refusing to step in the right direction towards positive change, but stepping in the wrong direction towards negative change. Please, petition the UN to recognize these policies by the evils that they are.

reddit.com/e9a8b
Re: This is unacceptable  [message #64955 is a reply to message #64954] Sun, 21 November 2010 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I tend to wonder why the needs of Morocco and Mali should take precedence, too. Unfortunately the new wording could be said to include LGBT folk, though it patently does not. IT is a bad, very bad, politically expedient solution.

To petition the UN is probably fruitless. As a body it does not care. It is only effective to petition nations who are members. Pretty obviously it's useless to petition lowlife members like Saudi Arabia and Iran who execute LGBT folk at the drop of an axe.

It would be worth interesting Avaaz.org in the petition since they have brains and international reach.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: This is unacceptable  [message #64956 is a reply to message #64954] Sun, 21 November 2010 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

http://avaaz.org works by being asked to start a campaign. It assesses the validity of the campaign and to some great extent, assesses whether to start it or not by the requests it gets for the campaign.

To request a campaign one has to visit the site and use the contact form.

I have sent this to them:

Please read up on the UN resolution which now allows the execution of LGBT folk. A good place to start is http://www.reddit.com/tb/e9a8b which describes political expediency and the pandering to less civilised nations

Something is very wrong with a world which removes a protection from a very vulnerable segment of society.

Petitioning the UN itself is not for amateurs like me. I have no idea how to go about seeking the reinstatement of protection. But Avaaz does know how. Please formulate a campaign to reach the correct people globally.

Please would you, if you believe in this cause, all of you, send something similar. And please tell your friends.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: This is unacceptable  [message #64958 is a reply to message #64954] Sun, 21 November 2010 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

Sunday, November 21, 2010
Brody's Notes... UN Vote Will Lead To More LGBT Murders Activists Claim

By Mark Singer (Washington DC) NOV 21 | A United Nations General Assembly human rights committee's vote to remove the reference to slayings due to sexual orientation from the resolution on extrajudicial, summary and arbitrary executions has LGBT Equality Rights activists and Human Rights activists outraged.

The UN's main assembly normally passes similar resolutions, condemning extrajudicial, summary and arbitrary executions and other killings every two years, the most recent past resolution in 2008 declaration had contained an explicit reference to LGBT killings.

Representatives from the African nations of Morocco and Mali had introduced an amendment on behalf of other African and Islamic nations calling for deletion of the phrase "sexual orientation" and instead substituting the phrase "discriminatory reasons on any basis" in its place. The amendment narrowly passed 79-70, and then was approved by the committee, which includes all 192 U.N. member states, with 165 in favor, 10 abstentions and no votes against.

The resolution will now go before the entire UN General Assembly in December and which is expected to be adopted, does specify other types of violence, including killings for racial, national, ethnic, religious or linguistic reasons and killings of refugees, indigenous people and other groups.

Philippe Bolopion of Human Rights Watch released a statement that said:

"It's a step backwards and it's extremely disappointing that some countries felt the need to remove the reference to sexual orientation, when sexual orientation is the very reason why so many people around the world have been subjected to violence."

Veteran UK LGBT activist Peter Tatchell in an interview with the editor of Britain's pinknews.uk, Jessica Geen, said:

"The move was a “shameful day in United Nations history” and would give a “de facto green light to the on-going murder of LGBT people by homophobic regimes, death squads and vigilantes."

Mr Tatchell said homophobic countries would “take comfort from the fact that the UN does not endorse the protection of LGBT people against hate-motivated murder”.

He added: “The UN vote is in direct defiance of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which guarantees equal treatment, non-discrimination and the right to life. What is the point of the UN if it refuses to uphold its own humanitarian values and declarations?
Many of the nations that voted for this amendment want to ensure that their anti-gay policies are not scrutinised or condemned by the UN. Even if they don’t directly sanction the killing of LGBT people, they have lined up alongside nations that do.”

Tatchell also criticized the nations of South Africa and Cuba, who voted in favor of the amendment.

“Presidents Raul Castro and Jacob Zuma should hang their heads in shame. They’ve betrayed the liberation ideals that they profess to uphold,” he said.

Stonewall, the London based UK LGBT Equality Rights organisation said:

“The vote by a UN panel to remove sexual orientation from this significant resolution is deeply disturbing. Lesbian, gay and bisexual people face violence, abuse and in some states, execution, because of their sexual orientation. This is a worrying and regressive step. We call on the UK government to lead from the front foot to end the persecution of gay people in other countries."

A spokesman for U. S. Secretary of State Hilary Clinton enroute to a NATO Arms Summit in Lisbon, Portugal Thursday, expressed disappointment at the panel's actions noting that the U. S. delegation had opposed the change to the resolution and abstained from the final vote.
And the call to action?  [message #64959 is a reply to message #64958] Sun, 21 November 2010 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

That's the report, Brody. Now how about putting a call to action on your blog?

icon6.gif Re: And the call to action?  [message #64960 is a reply to message #64959] Sun, 21 November 2010 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

Afternoon Tim and gentlefolk~
I am not going to put a call for action on my website as its not germane to the purpose of what I/we are building there in terms of a news & commentary website.

Now, an op-ed, yeah, now that I'll do. But I am not an 'action' blog/news site or activist site nor do I intend to become one. That's for places like Queer Today & elsewhere.

I am quite angered by the decision but it will take the General Assembly to correct the language. I am still working on the op-ed as it fits into the larger discussion Tim & I had the other day about the "You don't Matter" attitude that is displayed by the Christiban.
My righteous Indignation  [message #64961 is a reply to message #64954] Sun, 21 November 2010 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DesDownunder is currently offline  DesDownunder

Likes it here

There goes the United Nations.

Here cometh the Inquisition.

And here I am standing, yelling that this is an act of atrocity against the freedom of consenting human beings to love and orgasm with, whomever they wish.

This resolution is worthy of Hitler's Nazi regime and must be cited as such by every individual of decency, and integrity.

Will someone please organise a petition?

I see Timmy has posted about petitioning at Brody's Blog.

[Updated on: Sun, 21 November 2010 20:12]

DesDownunder

Call me naive if you want, but life without trust in the goodness of others would be intolerable.

Religious indoctrination: It gets better, without it.
Re: My righteous Indignation  [message #64963 is a reply to message #64961] Sun, 21 November 2010 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kiwi is currently offline  kiwi

Likes it here

Amen, Des!

It was a good idea, once, but the United Nations is now a good example of an asylum being run by the inmates.

cheers

Commas matter - 'Party on Dudes' is not the same as 'Party on, Dudes'
Re: This is unacceptable  [message #64966 is a reply to message #64956] Mon, 22 November 2010 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
laheyin is currently offline  laheyin

Getting started

Thanks, Timmy. I'm sure that even by simply asking someone to formulate a campaign, one can make a small difference. Thank you for the link, and I wish you and all other readers luck in the endeavor to fight for equality on this battlefield, with the UN.
Re: My righteous Indignation  [message #64967 is a reply to message #64963] Mon, 22 November 2010 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JFR is currently offline  JFR

On fire!

kiwi wrote:

It was a good idea, once, but the United Nations is now a good example of an asylum being run by the inmates.

Oom Shmoom

J F R

The paradox has often been noted that the United States, founded in secularism, is now the most religiose country in Christendom, while England, with an established church headed by its constitutional monarch, is among the least. (Richard Dawkins, 2006)
Re: My righteous Indignation  [message #64972 is a reply to message #64967] Mon, 22 November 2010 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kiwi is currently offline  kiwi

Likes it here

Oom Shmoom, JFR. Very true! (Google is a good friend).

Kia kaha!

(Incidentally - http://www.kbrm.org.nz/index.html)

cheers

Commas matter - 'Party on Dudes' is not the same as 'Party on, Dudes'
Re: This is unacceptable  [message #64981 is a reply to message #64954] Mon, 22 November 2010 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Avaaz responds to every request. In order for the campaign to get to the top[ of the pile we all need to ask them to look at it. I have had the expected neutral "We will look at this" response. It is precisely what I hoped to receive and is the entire point of this low key approach.

So please join me in asking them to look at it. Even one more request might be all that is needed.

Re: My righteous Indignation  [message #64982 is a reply to message #64972] Tue, 23 November 2010 04:56 Go to previous message
JFR is currently offline  JFR

On fire!

kiwi wrote:
Incidentally - http://www.kbrm.org.nz/index.html

Wow! A friend in need is a friend indeed!

J F R

The paradox has often been noted that the United States, founded in secularism, is now the most religiose country in Christendom, while England, with an established church headed by its constitutional monarch, is among the least. (Richard Dawkins, 2006)
Previous Topic: Thou Shalt Not Facebook???
Next Topic: But WHY?
Goto Forum: