A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > The Oscars are over...now back to reality
The Oscars are over...now back to reality  [message #65388] Mon, 28 February 2011 13:35 Go to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

How very interesting, and particularly sad, that a small golden statue gets so much notice here in America. Why its as if we are avoiding reality!

This is the land of fantasy where television rules the airwaves and movies are about such extremes of violence. Any wonder why our children shoot at one another?

The most telling means of avoiding truth is that televised golf will bump the evening news off the air. Yes, let's watch a bunch of spoiled millionaires knock a little ball into a hole. Doesn't matter the world is going to s**t, we don't want to see or hear about it.

Although I write off television as total crap, it is the bastion of heterosexual thought and much loved. Shows must include sexual innuendo and lots of breasts to make the top ten. Movies seem to be the only reasonable alternative.

Let's get this clear, I did not watch the Oscars. But I was happy this morning to read the The King's Speech won such acclaim. Finally a film about something real receives the much deserved applause.

I can only hope this is a trend towards more thoughtful films. Otherwise I am holding out for the next Peter Jackson film. The Hobbit is due out next year.Smile

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Re: The Oscars are over...now back to reality  [message #65389 is a reply to message #65388] Mon, 28 February 2011 21:34 Go to previous message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

You didn't think the Hurt Locker or Slumdog Millionaire were thoughtful?

Or that "Milk" deserved the two awards it won?

Hollywood action flicks don't typically do well at the Oscars. I tend to think the academy does a pretty good job.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Previous Topic: Budding Diver
Next Topic: Timely information for our youngest visitors ...
Goto Forum: