A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Homo fear is alive and well...
icon13.gif Homo fear is alive and well...  [message #65596] Fri, 15 April 2011 22:09 Go to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

All I can say to anyone that reacts negatively to what this executive did with her son is: grow up, get a life, and please: stop having kids. If these nay sayers don't have fun with their kids, hold tea parties, paint toenails, then their kids will grow up to be the bullies we hate. Read on:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/04/13/earlyshow/living/parenting/main20053508.shtml

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Re: Homo fear is alive and well...  [message #65599 is a reply to message #65596] Fri, 15 April 2011 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Bigotry is insanity writ large

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Homo fear is alive and well...  [message #65601 is a reply to message #65599] Sat, 16 April 2011 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
E.J. is currently offline  E.J.

Really getting into it

Style is a fickle thing.

From a Ladies’ Home Journal article in June 1918:
"The generally accepted rule is pink for the boys, and blue for the girls. The reason is that pink, being a more decided and stronger color, is more suitable for the boy, while blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is prettier for the girl."

From an article 'When Did Girls Start Wearing Pink?'
"Little Franklin Delano Roosevelt sits primly on a stool, his white skirt spread smoothly over his lap, his hands clasping a hat trimmed with a marabou feather. Shoulder-length hair and patent leather party shoes complete the ensemble.

We find the look unsettling today, yet social convention of 1884, when FDR was photographed at age 2 1/2, dictated that boys wore dresses until age 6 or 7, also the time of their first haircut. Franklin’s outfit was considered gender-neutral."

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/When-Did-Girls-Start-Wearing-Pink.html?c=y&page=1

(\\__/) And if you don't believe The sun will rise
(='.'=) Stand alone and greet The coming night
(")_(") In the last remaining light. (C. Cornell)
Re: Homo fear is alive and well...  [message #65602 is a reply to message #65601] Sat, 16 April 2011 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kiwi is currently offline  kiwi

Likes it here

Don't know how to embed it, but - http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-april-13-2011/toemageddon-2011---this-little-piggy-went-to-hell

(Is Jon Stewart the only sane media-person in the US?)

cheers

Commas matter - 'Party on Dudes' is not the same as 'Party on, Dudes'
Re: Homo fear is alive and well...  [message #65603 is a reply to message #65602] Sat, 16 April 2011 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JimB is currently offline  JimB

Likes it here

Thank you Kiwi. Jon Stewart is soooo funny; of course what the talking heads said made it easy to laugh. One of life's certainties is that you can always find someone who will object to what you do or how you do it.

JimB
Re: Homo fear is alive and well...  [message #65604 is a reply to message #65602] Sat, 16 April 2011 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

Sorry, Kiwi, it's been made unavailable "at my location".

Hugs
Nigel

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: Homo fear is alive and well...  [message #65605 is a reply to message #65596] Sat, 16 April 2011 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

When I was growing up I:
  • played with toy guns
  • played with toy trains
  • played with toy cars
  • learned woodwork
  • rode my bike to play with boys
  • played sports (badly)
  • went fishing and caught and killed fish
  • grazed my knees in the playground
None of that made me heterosexual.

So how will letting a lad paint his toenails pink affect his growing up?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Homo fear is alive and well...  [message #65606 is a reply to message #65604] Sun, 17 April 2011 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
attatood.too is currently offline  attatood.too

Likes it here

Thanks Kiwi... I loved that. BTW Nigel, it was blocked in my area also, but you can either go to Hidemyass.com and try it from there or do as I did to watch it and download the trial version of SmartHide which will hide the location of your ip and you will then be able to view the video.

-Peter

I prefer guys that don't come in a box.
Re: Homo fear is alive and well...  [message #65607 is a reply to message #65596] Sun, 17 April 2011 05:42 Go to previous message
attatood.too is currently offline  attatood.too

Likes it here

In the early 20th century, pink was the color for boys since it is a bolder and stronger color. Girls wore the daintier blue color. Darn, my daughters now wear blue all the time. Does that make them different somehow? http://tinyurl.com/yx9vvg

-Peter

I prefer guys that don't come in a box.
Previous Topic: When parents try hard and still get it wrong
Next Topic: LGBTQ Teens Less Likely To Commit Suicide with support
Goto Forum: