A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Christmas 'Cheer'
Christmas 'Cheer'  [message #6929] Wed, 01 January 2003 11:34 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

http://www.playingsafely.co.uk/12stisofchristmas/index.html is worth watching.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Banging the Sexual health drum:  [message #6946 is a reply to message #6929] Thu, 02 January 2003 11:26 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

We have a lot of people here. Some are greatly sexually experienced. Others are about to enter a life of sexual activity. Some will be promiscuous, others monogamous, others will practice "serial monogamy".

All of us, without exception, is at some percentage of risk as soon as we make sexual contact with another human being. With ailments like Hepatitis this is true EVEN if they have never had any sexual contact, since sex is just one mechanism of contracting that series of diseases (more infective than HIV).

So, we need awareness of precautions, and we need awareness of where and how to get "fixed". Those are pretty easy things.

When I have given my son the Sex Ed talk I have added the idea of regular sexual health checkups. No-one, str8, bi nor gay, is immune from the need to take personal responsibility for their own sexual health. This is not a "Leave it to my partner" thing.

Get a check up between partners as a matter of course. Repeat the check after 12 weeks have elapsed, and, if you have many partners, keep getting checked every 12 weeks. And, if you get diagnoised with something, EVEN pubic lice, tell all your partners, and get them to get checked.

I'm totally familiar with the UK system. My friends at the Global Cyber Clinic (links page) are familiar with the systems in other parts of the world. Many clinics are free and anonymous. Yes, even in the USA. UK ones you don't even have to give your real name!

Sexual health is a thing I feel very strongly about. My generation walked into HIV and AIDS when we felt we only had syphilis etc to worry about. We can only limit the spread of sexual diseases by both practicing safe sex and by making sure we are healthy.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Previous Topic: So happy to be home
Next Topic: update on the ED thing
Goto Forum: