A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Can You Spare a Quarter
Can You Spare a Quarter  [message #72275] Fri, 09 December 2016 23:52 Go to next message
Rick is currently offline  Rick

Getting started

I have just finished reading the second chapter of this story and I felt I had to write and say that it excites me, and makes me feel for both Graham and Jamie in different ways. Your descriptions of their conflicting emotions are very real and vivid and I am eagerly awaiting the next chapter to see if what I think Jamie is going to do is successful.

Rick
Re: Can You Spare a Quarter  [message #72276 is a reply to message #72275] Sat, 10 December 2016 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TigerPaw is currently offline  TigerPaw

Getting started

Thank you for your kind words and comments on the writing. Of course it helped enormously that I had the help of it being more than just imagination. I'm not a terribly imaginative person, I could never have dreamt this up on my own. Any time I deviated very far from reality I tended to get stuck very quickly.

I hope you will enjoy the rest as it rolls out.

--
tgrpaw@gmail.com
Re: Can You Spare a Quarter  [message #72302 is a reply to message #72275] Fri, 16 December 2016 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
William King is currently offline  William King

Toe is in the water

This story is an emotional roller coaster that tugs at the heart strings. I challenge anyone to  be able to read this book without shedding a tear.

A well written story about a young boy on the streets who does what he must to survive. A glimmer of hope that is almost too much to believe in, but nevertheless arrives, when he encounters 'a good samaritan.'

A struggle for salvation in a dark and cruel world, I cannot recommend this book more highly. If you don't read it, you are missing out on a rare jem.

What better read for Christmas!
Re: Can You Spare a Quarter  [message #72303 is a reply to message #72302] Fri, 16 December 2016 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

We get a very good idea of what passes through the mind of a child made to grow up far too soon by unpleasant circumstances, and of how every generous gesture by the adult is capable of misinterpretation. A very imperfect analogy is a wild bird learning to take food from the hand of a human. The imperfection is that the act of taking the food is artificial and a trained response, whereas the unlucky, now lucky, child needs to unlearn some awful learned behaviour.

[Updated on: Fri, 16 December 2016 12:09]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Can You Spare a Quarter  [message #72309 is a reply to message #72303] Sat, 17 December 2016 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TigerPaw is currently offline  TigerPaw

Getting started

Expecting that "the bill would have to be paid" was a certainty that persisted for years. I didn't dwell on it, one has to keep a story moving, but it was something that took a long time. And even later it was very few that were really trusted.

--
tgrpaw@gmail.com
Re: Can You Spare a Quarter  [message #72310 is a reply to message #72309] Sat, 17 December 2016 09:48 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
TigerPaw wrote on Sat, 17 December 2016 05:41Expecting that "the bill would have to be paid" was a certainty that persisted for years. I didn't dwell on it, one has to keep a story moving, but it was something that took a long time. And even later it was very few that were really trusted.

--
Something ingrained at such a tender age is almost impossible to get past. All children have ingrained, trained in, behaviours; it's how all parents raise their kids. Mostly they are good things, like not touching the car door handles while the car is in motion. Those we pay no heed to. The bad things we treat as different because they are bad. There is nothing different about them, they are just bad.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Previous Topic: Christmas is creeping up at a rate of knots
Next Topic: Zen and Zenon
Goto Forum: