A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > An experiment
An experiment  [message #74548] Thu, 12 July 2018 20:15 Go to next message
timmy   United Kingdom

Has no life at all

As an experiment, we have added a page indexing interviews with a selection of authors, some here some elsewhere. The 'controversial' element here is that there are also story reviews. We don't do critiques here onthe forum, partly because Literary Criticism is an arcane art. If the intrepid interviewer simply interviews authors here we will add that interview to the author's index page with pleasure.

The experimental page of interviews is here.

What I am interested in is whether this should continue, or cease. I will enjoy reading everyone's opinions, and will use those to inform my decision.

[Updated on: Fri, 13 July 2018 18:05]

Inconsistent use of capital letters is the difference between Bobby helping Uncle Jack off a horse, AND Bobby helping uncle jack off a horse!
Re: An experiment  [message #74551 is a reply to message #74548] Sat, 14 July 2018 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy   United Kingdom

Has no life at all

The silence has been deafening. If no-one has opinions then we will go with mine, unmodified by yours.

Interviews with authors

How should we proceed with this? [Answer all that apply, please]

Definitely continue
Definitely cease
Create a basic question library
Don't just ask set questions, develop the theme
Have just one interviewer
Have a pool of interviewers
Have a schedule, say of one per month
Ask for volunteers to do the interviews
Ask authors to volunteer to be interviewed
Restrict it to authors on this site
Throw it open to any author of LGBT web fiction
I'm just here for a wank, don't bother with anything else

Current Results

I bet you do have opinions, though.

[Updated on: Sat, 14 July 2018 06:01]

Inconsistent use of capital letters is the difference between Bobby helping Uncle Jack off a horse, AND Bobby helping uncle jack off a horse!
Re: An experiment  [message #74562 is a reply to message #74551] Mon, 16 July 2018 19:43 Go to previous message
timmy   United Kingdom

Has no life at all

I'm liking the trend so far. I think it shows the quality of the initial interviews conducted by the initial interviewer. 

What I am getting so far is that:
  • We need a framework of questions
  • The interview should feed form the answers, that is not simply be a formulaic thing, but probe for detail and follow a theme

Now, where I failed to ask a question in the survey I am going to make an assumption. I assume any author wishing for publicity will volunteer. What I hope we can do is to encourge the publicity shy ones! I'd like to consider inviting authors rather than simply having volunteers. I think the criteria for invitation are subjective. I need to think that through, and that means think it with your input. Or, put plain, whom should we invite?

Now look, I am very happy for an author to volunteer. It's just that it isn't my first priority

I'd also like help in working out the framework of initial questions. I think we might avoid the trite Age - Sex - Location, though I have no issue with that infomration per se

I am unlikley to interview anyone. I have more than enough site stuff to do. So who should form the pool of interviewers?

That's enough questions for now. 

Previous Topic: 2018 Queue Status
Next Topic: First year
Goto Forum: