A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Hint!
icon8.gif Hint!  [message #7386] Sun, 02 February 2003 00:39 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

When I say all are welcome here, I mean it.

I've just had a good meal. Prime Rib, roast potatoes, Broccoli, Parsnip, sugar snaps and mangetout, yorkshirepudding, and a more than over expensive bottle of wine. I've had a great evening. Watched a good film on TV

Why is one person feeling unwelcome?

That is a rhetorical question. A hint.

No sniping, please. Disagree, with decorum.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Hint!  [message #7463 is a reply to message #7386] Wed, 05 February 2003 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mt is currently offline  mt

Toe is in the water

It’s true that to some extent the cold monitor of the computer screen (ok well, hot if you’re using a CRT) will not convey the heat of welcome that would otherwise be normally felt in human contact but that is certainly not a reason why somebody should feel unwelcome, is it?
You may mean it..... but that doesn't make me welcome......  [message #7466 is a reply to message #7386] Wed, 05 February 2003 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guest is currently offline  Guest

On fire!

No Message Body
icon14.gif I have no idea who you are ...  [message #7467 is a reply to message #7466] Wed, 05 February 2003 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
warren c. e. austin is currently offline  warren c. e. austin

Likes it here

... take it as a given, that regardless you WILL ALWAYS BE, and are now, welcome to come forward here, either by joining the ranks of the "visible" here, or simply chosing as you hae done,to remain anonymous.

Your thoughts, your points-of-view, and your opinions can be shared freely here, and I sincerely would hope (unless you're rude or abusive) would in all likelihood never be subject to censure.

That is not what this place is all about.

"A Place of Safety" is about fellowship and sharing, in a caring, compassionate environment.

We neither judge, nor dissallow association here. One need not be Gay, Bisexual, Transgendered, Heterosexual, or otherwise, to find a home here. All we ask of those stopping by is for they to be equally as unjudgemental.

I tell you this, my own troubles not-with-standing, because I BELIEVE, and know this to be true.

DO NOT assume that because I have issues with my being here, that you would too.

I AM here; and whilst it may be a crisis that has prompted my return, I know regardless I will be welcomed.

So to will you be.

Warren C. E. Austin
"The Gay Deceiver"
Toronto, Canada
2003.02.05 11:16 Hrs EST
It really doesnt.  [message #7468 is a reply to message #7467] Wed, 05 February 2003 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

This place is about so many things, some above board, some not. My opinions are thought by many to be attacks and that is not what I am about. It is not who I am.

As for judging, that my friend happens here in abundance. Whether you and others choose to admit it or not. It happens.
icon14.gif Re: It really doesnt.  [message #7469 is a reply to message #7468] Wed, 05 February 2003 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

I don't know where this is coming from, and I would never assume to be speaking for the Board Owner.

If you have issues and concerns, about the conduct the Members here, or your feeling "safe" here at all, please contact the Borad Owner "timmy" at the following e-Mail address:

"iomfats@hotmail.com"

I know he will take your contact seriously.

Warren C. E. Austin
"The Gay Deceiver"
Toronto, Canada
2003.02.05 12:42 Hrs EST
Perceptions  [message #7470 is a reply to message #7469] Wed, 05 February 2003 20:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trevor is currently offline  trevor

Really getting into it

Although I certainly agree with Warren, I do believe this can be a difficult line to walk. This is a place to tread softly on controversial topics.

If opinions are strongly worded and appear to be "aimed" at a group or person, or if they just plain aren't stated diplomatically enough, they might be perceived as attacks. It is a matter of readers' interpretation of the words, not the writer's intentions, which we of course can't truly know.

So, although all opinions are probably welcome unless they really are attacks or abuse, rude, etc, they may need to be stated very tactfully if they are especially controversial.

If people misunderstand your intention or motives and feel you are attacking, then yes, you will be judged. People who strongly disagree with your opinions may judge your logic, motives, or possibly even your sanity, but they, too, should be tactful and not state opinions in a way that appears to attack you personally.

If many opinions strongly differ from the vast majority of readers, one can resonably question the motive for posting them. For example, if I were to say "Homosexuality is sinful and all fags are going to hell. God hates faggots." then one would question my motives and probably judge me as a bigot, even if I am "simply" expressing an opinion and feel I am providing a public service. (Ouch - I hated writing that even as an example! Write me if you believe that quote even a bit and I'll try to set you straight - er - on the right path, that is!)

IMHO the primary purposes of the board are to support each other as individuals (which could include the occasional personal rant), learn more about each other, keep up to date on topics that affect many of us, and politely discuss relevant "issues."

If in doubt, we need to re-read the top of the main page. It has been carefully worded because we are all human, many have mistakenly hurt each other at one time or another, and written language doesn't always convey the meanings we intend.
icon7.gif Regarding judging...  [message #7474 is a reply to message #7468] Wed, 05 February 2003 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lenny is currently offline  lenny

On fire!

Dear Mr Matter, Smile

Of course we can't help to judge, we're only human after all. Humans judge. Hopefully though, nobody will ATTACK you here, and I have reason to believe that with pretty good authority! For starters, Timmy wouldn't allow it, and the people here are considerate.

Now, since you won't say who you are or what your opinions are, I can't decide if they in my opinion are attacks or not, but I THINK I'm a pretty open-minded person! I know for certain though I would not jump straight for the jugular if you choose to unmask yourself... Smile Something I certainly hope you will do by the way.

Let us get to know you, THEN present your 'controversial' opinions. Chances are, you're not nearly as controversial as you think/fear you are! Smile

In any case, even if you don't feel like coming out to us here, you just GOTTA email me and tell me what all this is about, because you've managed to intrigue me something awful! Besides, I could always need another friend! Smile Try me. I'm a nice person they say. Smile

-L

"But he that hath the steerage of my course,
direct my sail."

-William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, Act One, Scene IV
I understand what you all are saying.  [message #7479 is a reply to message #7474] Wed, 05 February 2003 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

But I have heard about the feelings reguarding me in this place.
When I have something to say, when there is something bothering me, the subject becomes so contorted it is as if I had never posted at all.

It just doesnt matter any more.
It really does not matter  [message #7480 is a reply to message #7386] Wed, 05 February 2003 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

A welcome is inside one's self. If he or she does nto feel it, then nothing we can say will make them feel welcome. It is a shame, but it has never been the case that everyone is going to feel universally welcome.

They are welcome to their point of view, and their opinion.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Corrective surgery.... above board = plainly stated....  [message #7481 is a reply to message #7468] Wed, 05 February 2003 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

No Message Body
icon4.gif nope. my email is its_onlyme@hotmail.com  [message #7482 is a reply to message #7469] Wed, 05 February 2003 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

No Message Body

Thank you  [message #7483 is a reply to message #7481] Wed, 05 February 2003 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I was concerned, because "Not above board" implies "illegal" to me in the UK

icon7.gif I have no idea what you're talking about...  [message #7485 is a reply to message #7479] Thu, 06 February 2003 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

...Because I have no idea who you are! Smile I've not noticed any threads ragging on one guy in particular.

Anyway, I'd really like to get to know you, you know... Just mail me okay and we'll talk. PLEASE? Smile

-L

direct my sail."

Re: Perceptions  [message #7486 is a reply to message #7470] Thu, 06 February 2003 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smith is currently offline  smith

On fire!

>>IMHO the primary purposes of the board are to support each other as individuals (which could include the occasional personal rant), learn more about each other, keep up to date on topics that affect many of us, and politely discuss relevant "issues."<< Trevor

That is exactly right........We all come here to see what everyone's been doing, share things we find that we think others would want to read, and try to discuss topics without shoving our opinions down anyone's throat.
I know I've read replies and my kneejerk reaction was to fire a nasty comment or two but I never do. I always figure that everyone's entitled to a bad day and it's just steam they're letting off.
Judging someone by their words alone is wrong. Not knowing the circumstances behind the words or the look in their eyes only leads to hurt.
I think it's clear that everyone who wants to can be here, post here and be part of the friendly atmosphere. The only rule is to use respect, kindness and more than a touch of wisdom before you click 'post'.

smith
Puzzled and cautious  [message #7489 is a reply to message #7486] Thu, 06 February 2003 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Plug is currently offline  Plug

Getting started

>>Judging someone by their words alone is wrong. Not knowing the circumstances behind the words or the look in their eyes only leads to hurt ... The only rule is to use respect, kindness and more than a touch of wisdom before you click 'post'.<< smith.

That's all very well. Face to face, you can know the circumstances and see the look, and know it's meant to hurt. Here you can't. You've only got the words to go on. But I guess that like me alot of people here are vulnerable and thin-skinned. If your back's to the wall you have to assume the worst. You hit back, or you run away. It's self-defence.

I'm not complaining about my welcome here. You've been cool and there's obviously alot of caring. But I've been looking at previous pages and found quite alot of places where someone seemed to be trying to hurt. Did hurt. Didn't use 'respect, kindness and more than a touch of wisdom'. Put down, which is something I know all too well. If it was aimed at me I'd run a mile.

Maybe as a new boy here I'm talking out of turn. But it puzzles me and makes me cautious.
Re: Puzzled and cautious  [message #7490 is a reply to message #7489] Thu, 06 February 2003 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
e is currently offline  e

On fire!

I would like to take this opportunity to welcome you, Plug. And no, you are not talking out of turn. There are disagreements here from time to time. Sometimes it's due to misunderstanding, sometimes it's because we simply disagree. I've seen remarks that appear to be written in anger or out of fear. Sometimes those remarks hurt whether they intend to or not. But in nearly every case, the hurtful remark is followed by a discussion that leads to an apology. I think we learn from such discussions. Never be afraid to say what you're thinking or feeling, but try to do it in a respectful manner. If someone does happen to get hurt, discuss it with them and try to work it out. We are not perfect. We do not always agree. If we were and if we did, this would be a very uninteresting place. Throw caution to the wind, or be as cautious as you like. But continue to be one of those who make this place interesting.

Think good thoughts,
e
icon7.gif Thanks e  [message #7492 is a reply to message #7490] Thu, 06 February 2003 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

I was trying to say what you just said and I couldn't get the words right. That was perfect Smile

I guess we kinda all have 'baggage' and, from time to time, we trip over someone's suitcase Smile Good thing about this place, there's always a hand held out to help you up.

Hiya,Plug. Glad to meet you Smile

smith J
No.... not always... Sometimes there are no hands at all....  [message #7494 is a reply to message #7492] Thu, 06 February 2003 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

No Message Body
icon6.gif I kinda argue with that...........  [message #7496 is a reply to message #7494] Thu, 06 February 2003 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Sometimes we don't see things as they are...we see things as WE are. Ask for what you need from people......Works for me.

{{{{hugs}}}
It does matter, you know
smith
I kind of argue with that...........  [message #7497 is a reply to message #7496] Thu, 06 February 2003 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

And sometimes we see things exactly as they are, clearly, concisely. We see these things for all the right and also all the wrong in them.

When I did ask, no real notice was apparent. I thought it would work for me as well, but alas.

Well now, it truly doesn't matter, and no, I don't know smith.
Surely it does matter  [message #7498 is a reply to message #7480] Thu, 06 February 2003 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Getting started

Looks like I've turned up at an awkward time. Some of you say honestly there are disagreements, some say sweetly and sanctimoniusly it's all right really, some say there are no helping hands. Which to believe?

Surely the welcome lies in what you lay on. As I said, no complaint about how you welcomed me. But as someone said, that is just words. What's behind them? I've been reading back. People pontificating who know all the answers. Plenty of squabbles, very few apologies. People being hurt and abused and leaving. But plenty of help and care too. Just like life I suppose.

Do I stay? Suppose so. But seems you have thicker skins than me. If I am hurt, I'm off like a shot. Or see anyone else being hurt. I came here hoping to get away from that crap and find like-minded people.
Well, we are people, you know  [message #7499 is a reply to message #7498] Thu, 06 February 2003 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

We do fight sometimes. But people tend to find that thsi place has an open door. We recognise, no-one more than me as the person who puts his hand into his pocket and funds this site and board, that not everyone will find this place to their liking.

It can't possibly be to everyone's liking. Even paradise is not liked by everyone.

It does concern me when someone is hurting. And I've spoken to this person behind the scenes about his views without yet understanding them fully. I hope to in time, if he will tell me them overtime.

I think someone here said "It is all to do with the eyes". We cannot see them. We also have, sometimes, subtle language challenges. I use "above board" as a case in point. If I had not checked what he meant I would have taken grave and incorrect offence at what is in England an implication of at best shady dealing, and more usually illegal activity. That point has been cleared up with the generosity of spirit that I always associate with the person concerened.

I think that is a feature here. In general, but not always, we disagree assertively, not aggressively. In general rifts are healed. In general there is no sniping, bitchiness, nor backbiting. In general it is an adult place where yoinger and older members alike feel at liberty to express an opinion, and to express it well, EVEN if it is a controversial opinion.

It isn't an awkward time, not really. One of our number feels unwelcome. He has said so. If it is our problem then we are trying to fix it. If it is his problem he is atliberty to fix it. If a mixture then I see us as a loose collection of individuals walking towards him and hoping he will walk towards us.

It is not mandatory to be here for any of us. That is the point. It cannot be the perfect place for everyone who walks through the door. It just happens to be normally quiet, gentle, peaceful and helpful.

when you asked, perhaps people were preoccupied  [message #7500 is a reply to message #7497] Thu, 06 February 2003 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Why not ask again?

Not all posts are answered, as we all know. And no-one has the "duty" to answer. But ask again.

icon3.gif "Plug", perhaps once more ...  [message #7502 is a reply to message #7498] Thu, 06 February 2003 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

... I simply should have kept my damn trap shut, and ignored this thread.

When I answered our friend [It Doesn't Matter]'s original *post* in this thread I did not expect another controversy to ensue over it.

What I have said to him, I'll say again to you.

EVERYONE IS WELCOME HERE!

Even me.

Whether I "feel" welcome here, or not, is an issue I alone have to deal with. Why I may feel alienated is something within myself, and not especially any one thing that others here could, or could not have done, to alleviate that.

In my seasonal greeting to the Board, I mention having a friend who calls A Place of Safety his home. It's wonderful that he is able to do so. I have often envied him that. I'm also especially heartened that all here have embraced him as they have, and as they do others, and through their actions contribute to the overall feelings of well-being that encourages my friend to feel as he does.

I'm hoping you'll be able to find, for yourself, whatever it is that makes it possible for him, and that you too will one day be able, like him in his certainty, to call A Place of Safety your "home" as well.

Warren C. E. Austin
"The Gay Deceiver"
Toronto, Canada
2003.02.06 11:31 Hrs EST
icon7.gif No one else can  [message #7505 is a reply to message #7498] Thu, 06 February 2003 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trevor is currently offline  trevor

Really getting into it

control our feelings. Only we have the ability to control our own reactions - free will of emotion, if you will.

Plug - like a family or community, we have our share of disagreements or people feeling hurt, but we generally "take care of each other" as well as we can. Some of that is via private messages or other boards, so it may not all be apparent.

I think for the most part we are pretty honest and have "fair" disagreements, though, and by posting those here rather than e-mailing or IM, others can weigh-in, or step in, as appropriate.

Some wounds might be over-reaction or taking things too personally, some are misunderstandings. That can happen any time you interact with others, and especially since we have such a wonderful and interesting variety of "characters" here.

IDM - I can't tell you how many times I've read a post and just couldn't think of anything useful to say, but wanted to say SOMETHING. Sometimes the poster just wants a simple awknowledgement of their pain, others find a "Sorry, *HUGS*" reply totally useless, still others want to vent without further discussion, and the poster's need may be entirely dependant upon their mood. Heck, they may "want" one thing and "need" another. Forgive us when we can't read between the lines - personally I need explicit (and no, I'm not talking about timmy's stories this time!)

If you post something and don't get a response, try e-mailing one or two of the more vocal members like me who just seem to enjoy typing!

If you, as an individual, didn't matter, we wouldn't keep replying. Honest - we don't like typing THAT much.
Re: Surely it does matter  [message #7511 is a reply to message #7498] Fri, 07 February 2003 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

I certainly hope that you do stay and that you do contribute, even it it means we disagree from time to time. Sometimes we do pontificate and think we know all the answers. Of that I know I AM GUILTY. I also know that I do not know all the answers, even though I may want to sound like I do.

I'll agree that there are plenty of squabbles, but disagree in that I've seen plenty of apologies. There have also been plenty of people who have been hurt and who have left. But many who have left, have also returned. I think you will find like-minded people here, whatever your mind is like. You will also find some not-so-like-minded people here. You will find people that you like, and people that you dislike. Certainly no one can expect to agree with or like everyone. And yes, there will also be times when someone's comments will hurt. That will happen no matter where you are. There are also times when you will not get the response you desire or you may get no response at all. Other times you may get more response and support than you ever thought possible.

The beauty of this place is that it is safe to say that you are hurt or disappointed. I think that is why you see so many of us who have said it. The atmosphere here is such that we can express our thoughts and our feelings without having to worry about being attacked. Timmy is pretty quick to step in and put an end to abuse and attacks. That is what makes this a safe place. And I think that is what makes us keep coming back.

Think good thoughts,
e
icon6.gif OK, I get the message  [message #7515 is a reply to message #7498] Fri, 07 February 2003 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Getting started

Thanks, especially to Trevor and e for being so honest. I accept that hurts can be cleared up privately, behind the scenes, which satisfies the person hurt. But isn't that one of the problems? It makes it look as if there isn't justice here. Justice has to be seen to be done. If it's not visible and the "public" are uneasy, the "public" remain uneasy. I guess that's what "It doesn't matter" meant by "Corrective surgery.... above board = plainly stated...."

But OK, I'll give it a whirl. Suck it and see ...
Preoccupation? Well yes, of that I am sure.  [message #7516 is a reply to message #7500] Fri, 07 February 2003 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Over the past year or more, I have come to realize that in this "Place of Safety" either you are a part of the inner circle or you are not.

In other words, unless you are less than sixteen years old than you are not taken seriously.

This is not only my perception as it has been discussed at length in other arenas.

Perhaps what it all boils down to is the realization that I have outlived my usefulness. I am tired of being looked upon as the old fool with all his none too popular opinions.

Good night.
That 'under 16 thing' is interesting. And incorrect  [message #7518 is a reply to message #7516] Fri, 07 February 2003 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

The sole person less that 16 that I know here is smith. And he feels his views are not taken seriously because he is treated as "a sweet kid who knows nothing anbd has cute opinions." And he won't be under 16 much longer.

Almost everyone here is in his twenties or later.

Now, "the old fool with his none too popular opinions" is a challenging title to choose for one's internal perception of external image. I can't see it of you myself. I suspect that when you reveal yourself no-one else here wil be able to see it. I mean the "old fool" part.

Some of your opinions are not popular. I don't see what's wrong with that, not in the slightest. All I ever ask is that an opinion is expressed with courtesy and regard for everyone else. (And yes I have transgressed that rule myself, more than once.) I ask for replies to be expressed in the same manner when a challenging opinion is expressed. In other words "Be controversial or less than popular, but so so as a gentleman".

So, for what it is worth, you are not an old fool. And you have expressed in the past and will express again an opinion which is less than popular (well will in future if you post further, I mean,and post as yourself). The thing is, I truly do not see the problem with the way you are treated, just with your perception of it.

What I can see is that you are very angry. I wish that were not so, but I can see it so clearly. I am certain that nothing here has been created to make you angry. I am equally certain that disputes between individuals may exist here, start here, continue here, or be solved here. All of that I see as the healthy ebb and flow of human relations.

The one thing I am not going to do is to "beg you to stay". You see I do care. I care a lot. But I care about you as a person and as a friend. I'd enjoy your remaining, but I will not go into mourning if you leave. I don't have the emotional time to devote to it. And begging and stuff will demean you and me together.

Stay or leave, and make it a good decision either way.

I'll agree with that  [message #7521 is a reply to message #7515] Fri, 07 February 2003 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

When disputes appear on the board and are settled privately, it does leave "the public" to think that matters are not resolved. However, not all disputes can, or should, be resolved in public. It is up to those who take issue to decide what forum is best for resolution.

Personally, I don't have much "off board" communication with others here. I do exchange email on occasion, but generally prefer to post my thoughts here on the board for the public. That includes apologies whenever they are necessary.

Not everyone can, or will, do that and it is for them to decide. The rest of us simply need to allow them to conduct their personal business themselves, whether it be in public or in private.

I, for one, am glad you will "give it a whirl."

Think good thoughts,
e
icon4.gif Say good night if you want, but don't say good bye, PLEASE!  [message #7524 is a reply to message #7516] Fri, 07 February 2003 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

I would very much like to talk to you. I too feel like an old fool, much too often for my own comfort, and I've not even turned 31 years old yet (will in a week's time though. Smile)

Please email me or something alright? You come here because you want to talk right? Well, then talk! Smile I'm inviting you. I want to be your friend, will you let me be that? Smile

-L

direct my sail."

Re: I'll agree with that  [message #7626 is a reply to message #7521] Wed, 12 February 2003 01:26 Go to previous message
robert bryce is currently offline  robert bryce

Really getting into it

just my two nickles guys but ya all take yourselves too seriously. look at this way--you all could have been born straight or perhaps female. then you all would really have something to bitch about...hehehehe and another he.So stop bitching Timmy might just turn you all into frogs. Frog soup is just sooooooooooooooooooooo good. robert
Previous Topic: A new friend, I hope
Next Topic: DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES RESPOND TO THIS POST!
Goto Forum: