A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Lest We Forget
Lest We Forget  [message #75141] Sun, 11 November 2018 15:38 Go to next message
ivor slipper is currently offline  ivor slipper

Likes it here

A truly superb story, beautifully told. One that I'm sure must bear a close resemblance to the fate that befell some young men during that conflict.

Congratulations to c m in making us reflect on how things have changed in the last one hundred years.
Re: Lest We Forget  [message #75142 is a reply to message #75141] Sun, 11 November 2018 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

That is why I decided that Lest We Forget had to go out as soon as I received it.

Things have changed in the civilised world, though we must beware in case the progress is wrested from our grasp

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Lest We Forget  [message #75143 is a reply to message #75142] Sun, 11 November 2018 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jolyon Lewes

Toe is in the water

This is what I have sent to c m:

What a beautiful little piece you have written. I am full of admiration. Having not long returned from the service in my local church I was in exactly the right frame of mind to prolong today's mood, a strange combination of sadness and hope. Your story has achieved that aim. I shall think of your words for a long time and say a prayer for all the Ruperts and Guys, past and present.https://ssl.gstatic.com/ui/v1/icons/mail/images/cleardot.gif

Jolyon

Jolyon
Re: Lest We Forget  [message #75144 is a reply to message #75142] Sun, 11 November 2018 20:42 Go to previous message
Geron Kees is currently offline  Geron Kees

Likes it here

A very powerful, very poingnant tale of being young and in love in a different era, and a time of war. More about life than about death, and joyfully so, even in the face of tragedy. Congratulations on a fine tale, well written. Everyone on the site should read this one. 

[Updated on: Sun, 11 November 2018 20:44]

Previous Topic: This tale opens a wider topic
Next Topic: Better without the sex?
Goto Forum: