A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > A childhood memory
A childhood memory  [message #7595] Mon, 10 February 2003 21:14 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Mrs Dale's Diary. Now Steve may remember this. Stephen is probably too young. Mihangel will, and it may even prompt him to post.

This site http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/radio/mrsdalesdiary.htm describes the first English (it was NOT British) Radio soap far better than I can. But read the words about Mrs Dale's Brother in law. Thsi was the 1950s possibly early 1960s. Homosexuality was not acknowledged, let alone legal. And it made a mainstream radio soap opera, and was even acceptable.

I've remmebered this on and off for years. Bless Google for finding it for me.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
icon7.gif Mrs Dale's Diary  [message #7600 is a reply to message #7595] Tue, 11 February 2003 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve is currently offline  Steve

Really getting into it

This is completely off topic, of course Wink Daily at 4.15 pm (I think), usually starting off with some inanity like "I am very worried about Jim..." (I would listen because this was the time I got home from school and was eating my 'bread and jam' sandwich for tea!) Ah! Nostalgia. I bet 'even' Tim is too young to remember "Dick Barton, Special Agent!" - which to my great disgust was replaced by "The Archers". And then there was "Journey Into Space" which was then complete fantasy.
Sic transit gloria mundi. And now back to our regular programme...
Re: Mrs Dale's Diary  [message #7605 is a reply to message #7600] Tue, 11 February 2003 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Sic Transit Gloria Mundi"

Your van is broken. It will be fixed on Monday.

I missed Dick. Actually I still miss Dick. "Quick Dick, Jock, Snowy......"

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
icon7.gif Sic Transit Gloria Mundi  [message #7607 is a reply to message #7605] Tue, 11 February 2003 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve is currently offline  Steve

Really getting into it

Gloria Mundi is suffering from travel sickness.
Odd really  [message #7640 is a reply to message #7595] Wed, 12 February 2003 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

This was a hugely significant radio event that passed without notice!

In those days TV was in its infancy. Radio was king

It's too bad  [message #7641 is a reply to message #7640] Wed, 12 February 2003 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guest is currently offline  Guest

On fire!

My family talks about radio shows and how they used to wait for certain ones. All I ever do is spin the dial for music before sliding in a CD.
Today, people have to have visual entertainment. Like moles, who never come out into the light and so are blind, maybe we'll eventually lose our imaginations because they are never used.
Just like the book is always better than the movie, I have to assume that the radio show would be better than the tv version.
There's a great movie called 'A Christmas Story' about Ralphie, the boy who wants a Red Ryder BB Gun for Christmas and how he drinks Ovaltine and waits for his decoder ring from some radio show that he believes in faithfully. His mom just answers about the rifle, "You'll shoot your eye out!"
Not sure where I'm going with this other than sometimes technology takes the simple joys out of living.

Have a Beautiful Day Smile
smith
icon3.gif Yes, it is too bad.  [message #7642 is a reply to message #7641] Wed, 12 February 2003 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
warren c. e. austin is currently offline  warren c. e. austin

Likes it here

smith, T.V. by its' very nature is a "visual" medium, but in averring that it so, we all disregard that Radio may very well be too.

Which brings to mind a series of Radio commercials which ran here in Canada to great success in the very early 1980's. I don't know whether they were ever heard anywhere else; they could well have been as they advertized an interntionally known brand name of children's toy back in the days before Hasbro, or Disney, owned everything in the children's entertainment markets. Ironically I believe the brand is now a subsidiary of the Allied-Lyons/Hasbro combine.

These advertisements, featuring a cast of three - a narrator, a little boy and his father - played to great success for a little over a year, through some half-dozen variations on the same theme, each occupying the central 2-minutes of the traditional 3-minute commercial "break" (a length itself almost unheard of outside of either Public Service announcements and Political ads), with each having been so designed that each was bracketed by 30-second "spots" for products manufacturered by the same parent company, but appearing to have no correlation to the central set-piece.

Each went something like this:

The narrator would provide a brief run in, setting the scene of the little boy playing in his sandbox in the back-yard with his "Mighty-toys", and his father's just having come home from work and the father's asking the question directed to his son, "So, what did you do today sport?" To which the little boy would reply "Digging a tunnel to China.", or "Building a bridge across the ocean.", or "Erecting the world's tallest building.", or others similar.

The narrator would then cut back in, this time as a voice over, to the continuing interaction of the boy and his father, detailing more of the action, and always closing with the tag-line, "At Tonka, we create the vehicles capable of driving child's imagination."

The commercials won countless number of awards, tugging as they did at the heart-strings of parents everywhere, contributing to a phenominal growth in the all year round sale of the brand's premier product.

Based upon the success of the Radio advertisements, it was decided to port them to Television, where they failed miserably, because what on Radio had been in essence a simple premise, became all to busy on T.V., with Radio's ability to have the listener themselves visualize the scene - imagine if you will - being destroyed by the all to real depiction of it on the Television screen, and the subtle play on words inherent in the closing slogan being lost completely.

So you see, smith, you were actually not too far off the mark when you stated, and I quote:

"Just like the book is always better than the movie, I have to assume that the Radio show would be better than the T.V. version."

To, Timmy, I say that whilst I've never heard the particular Radio "soap" to which you are referring, I do, with great fondness, recall several produced here in Canada in the early 50's, and have some rembrance of one or two others that aired here, possibly produced either in the U.S., or even the U.K., with each all but gone by the time colour T.V. emerged here in 1962.

Warren C. E. Austin
Toronto, Canada
icon7.gif I Agree, Warren  [message #7653 is a reply to message #7642] Thu, 13 February 2003 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smith is currently offline  smith

On fire!

Talking about building the bridge across the ocean or digging a tunnel to China........My world belonged to Legos. Once, my father bought me a huge Lego kit for mucho $$$ that was an entire space station. All the directions were included and I was set to go to construct a perfect likeness of the front of the box...........only I didn't. I created a great fortress with a moat and guard towers. I had dragons attacking and knights defending. Imagination lets you out of the box Smile

Glad to see you back Smile
smith
icon14.gif Yes I agree too. GLAD to see you back here!  [message #7660 is a reply to message #7642] Thu, 13 February 2003 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lenny is currently offline  lenny

On fire!

For good, I hope?

I like you Warren. I'd like for you to stay so I can enjoy your company always! Smile

Your friend:
-Lenny

"But he that hath the steerage of my course,
direct my sail."

-William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, Act One, Scene IV
icon7.gif Re: Yes I agree too. GLAD to see you back here!  [message #7661 is a reply to message #7660] Thu, 13 February 2003 15:24 Go to previous message
warren c. e. austin is currently offline  warren c. e. austin

Likes it here

Thank you Lenny, for your kind and gracious words; and, to you too smith and Charlie.

I have said what "I" needed to say.

I'll not ever comment further on the subject.

In the mean time, I quote:

"I will continue to respond, as I have these past months, to questions posed either directly, or indirectly, to me here at the Board"

Whilst doing so, I may at my choice, respond to the occasional top-of-page *post* as I see fit; especially should it either amuse or interest me.

Warren
Previous Topic: OK. Enough.
Next Topic: Maintenance
Goto Forum: